just a friendly reminder…

• Chris Hazen

Hey guys and gals of in depth. I just wanted to remind every one to please ware a safety vest when out hunting. I never thought it would happen to any one I know but yesterday my girl friends uncle fell from his tree stand. He fell about 16 feet face first and hit the ground. He was air lifted to the cites where he has a busted callor bone and 3 or for broken veritbras between his shoulder blades. So please everyone be safe out there.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good post. I just put my stand up Sat and the first thing I did was install my safety rope with prusik attachment. Climbing in and out of stand is when you really need to be buckled up. Nobody falls just sitting in their stand. I am attached from the moment my feet leave the ground to when I am back on the ground again. Also please get a full body harness. Single straps around your waist are killers.

Attachments:
    1. 004.jpg

Nice Fella

Last summer 2 buddies and I were back in the swamp relocating a stand. Long story short, my best friend, who’s hunted from treestands his entire life, fell 20′ and almost died right in front of me. With the aid of 3 local volunteer rescue departments and some County Deputies we were eventually able brush a trail and carry him out on a backboard 1/4 mile through some nasty conditions to a waiting Med-chopper. I then had to hightail it back to the cabin to pick up his wife, who had heard all the sirens, and drive her to the hospital – not knowing what we would find out there. This was the longest 60 minutes of my life. He survived and is back hunting, but has a dandy scar and permanent metal brace holding his wrist together.
    Oh, and the airlift ride to Duluth: $29,800. My buddy, with an indomitable attitude quipped that he never even got to look out the window.

Think it can’t happen to you?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.