Joel Nelson

• Phillip Glidden
    Maine

Forgive me if I missed it but is Joel Nelson no longer with IDO? I didn’t see his name at the opening of yesterdays show?

404 ERROR
    MN

He is not with IDO anymore, correct.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

That’s a shame. My favorite shows were with Joel.

Phillip Glidden
    Maine

Yes me too. Watching one right now as a matter of fact.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Joel was a fan favorite! Not sure the circumstances but hopefully his move was a good one for him.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Joel will land on his feet and James will do just fine also.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Not sure the circumstances

I would assume this is the circumstances.
    http://www.joelnelsonoutdoors.com/
    IDO can take it down if its not ok but he went out on this own (maybe with tony roach) from the looks of it.

The link to Joel’s site is absolutely fine. Joel and I are still good friends and we spent time fishing together up on LOTW this summer. The time IDO demands to be part of the shows is intense and Joel had too many balls to juggle to be a regular contributor. And that’s really all there is to his departure. He’ll be missed but the show must go on!

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

He’ll be missed but the show must go on!

Good to hear James, and I am glad you came out and said something to keep rumors from running around. I was hoping/thinking it was friendly departure, and glad to hear it was!

Tyler Warner

Definitely a bummer. Always enjoyed episodes Joel was a part of. Thankful James is still the host though lol. IDO will continue to be my favourite show for sure. Especially the ice episodes.

Phillip Glidden
    Maine

Thanks everyone, just glad to know he is doing well.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>evan_pheneger wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>
    Not sure the circumstances

I would assume this is the circumstances.
    http://www.joelnelsonoutdoors.com/
    IDO can take it down if its not ok but he went out on this own (maybe with tony roach) from the looks of it.

The link to Joel’s site is absolutely fine. Joel and I are still good friends and we spent time fishing together up on LOTW this summer. The time IDO demands to be part of the shows is intense and Joel had too many balls to juggle to be a regular contributor. And that’s really all there is to his departure. He’ll be missed but the show must go on!

James said it better than I could’ve!

Speculation has run rampant. Got a message from a friend this morning notifying me that a YouTube user by the name of Hugh G. Rection – if that’s even his real name! – suggested that perhaps I had caught Chlamydia and died. Sounds painful.

Happy to report that I’m alive AND Chlamydia free, but more importantly, that I’m a friend to James, the show, IDO, and all the wonderful members that make this place tick. In addition to other duties, I’ve got an 8 year old and an 11 year old that I owe some more time to, and to put out a quality product like the IDO TV show requires that time. There’s tons of great staff to ensure that the show won’t only go on, but it will prosper and grow. My hope is to pop in from time to time and see what I can add to the fray.

I just want to thank everyone here for watching In-Depth Outdoors and appreciating the product, as I’ve met an incredible number of great people both through the site and that watch the show religiously. To you who have put up with me invading your Sunday mornings over the years, I’m indescribably humbled. To James and the crew who have tolerated me over that same time, I’m equally grateful and will make sure we meet up on the ice this winter at least a few times. Might even have a few new dirty jokes for you guys? No promises, hopefully you forgot the old ones and they’ll be like new again.

Pray for ice!

Joel

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Might even have a few new dirty jokes for you guys? No promises, hopefully you forgot the old ones and they’ll be like new again.

Trust me, you could go a thousand years without re-telling the “no i-deer” joke and it would never get fresh again. rotflol

Tyler Warner

Ton of respect for you Joel. I myself have a 6 yr old daughter. I’m trying to convince her to come ice fishing with me whenever we get ice. I’ve re watched all IDO episodes so many times now she’s always saying “daddy always watches fishing shows” lol. She comes bass fishing in the summer but when I ask if she’ll come ice fishing I get a blunt “nope”…

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joel Nelson wrote:</div>
    Might even have a few new dirty jokes for you guys? No promises, hopefully you forgot the old ones and they’ll be like new again.

Trust me, you could go a thousand years without re-telling the “no i-deer” joke and it would never get fresh again. rotflol

OMG YES !!! peace

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

OMG YES !!! peace

You know he’s going to tell it to us at the Ice Show. Gu-ar-an-teeeeed. grin

Michael Boyack

Ton of respect for you Joel. I myself have a 6 yr old daughter. I’m trying to convince her to come ice fishing with me whenever we get ice. I’ve re watched all IDO episodes so many times now she’s always saying “daddy always watches fishing shows” lol. She comes bass fishing in the summer but when I ask if she’ll come <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing I get a blunt “nope”…

Couldn’t agree more. Family first. If you figure out that whole 6 year old thing let me know. I have a 5 year old daughter that I am going to get to come with me more this year. I invested in a Marcum camera last year. She seemed to like that as a start. I don’t bring many fish to the top of the ice but she was always excited to see them swimming around!

Tyler Warner

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tyler Warner wrote:</div>
    Ton of respect for you Joel. I myself have a 6 yr old daughter. I’m trying to convince her to come ice fishing with me whenever we get ice. I’ve re watched all IDO episodes so many times now she’s always saying “daddy always watches fishing shows” lol. She comes bass fishing in the summer but when I ask if she’ll come <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing I get a blunt “nope”…

Couldn’t agree more. Family first. If you figure out that whole 6 year old thing let me know. I have a 5 year old daughter that I am going to get to come with me more this year. I invested in a Marcum camera last year. She seemed to like that as a start. I don’t bring many fish to the top of the ice but she was always excited to see them swimming around!

Last year I wasn’t comfortable trying to get her out because of the bad season we had. We bounced around from 2-3 to 6-8 inches of ice last winter. One week it would be sketchy then the next couple days we would get inches more again.

She enjoys seeing me catch bass or even just panfish in the summer and she likes to catch the odd one herself but I’ve been showing her ice footage like IDO episodes and other stuff and she doesn’t seem interested at all which is disappointing. I’m hoping I can get her out because (hoping I don’t jinx myself saying this) I’ve been pretty consistent in pulling lots of bluegills and perch above ice so I don’t think she would get bored quick.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Glad to hear from you Joel. I was curious all summer where/why you had disappeared from the show/site. Your insight and wit will be missed on the show. That being said the IDO episodes are the best fishing shows on TV by far. Keep it up James and crew. waytogo waytogo

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I took my 8 year old daughter tip up fishing last year to a lake with a bunch of small northerns, we went through 18 suckers in 2 hours and she had a blast, but as soon as she said she wanted to go, we packed up. Don’t plan on fishing all day, and if she wants to leave in a half hour, listen to her. My daughter can’t wait to yell “flag” already

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Good luck Joel, enjoyed watching you on the show. In the meantime I will keep reading your articles in the outdoor news and hopefully see u on the show down the road.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

X2 on the Outdoor News articles Joel! They are all a very enjoyable read. Keep up the good work!

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

One of my more favorite jokes! But if I ever hear Will Roseberg sing what does the fox say before 7am, I might lose it!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>James Holst wrote:</div>

One of my more favorite jokes! But if I ever hear Will Roseberg sing what does the fox say before 7am, I might lose it!

As long as he doesn’t start with wear the fox hat!

Joel,

You will be missed and I hope you make an occasional appearance on the show. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to fish with you at one of the get togethers again. Family always comes first.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

She enjoys seeing me catch bass or even just panfish in the summer and she likes to catch the odd one herself but I’ve been showing her ice footage like IDO episodes and other stuff and she doesn’t seem interested at all which is disappointing. I’m hoping I can get her out because (hoping I don’t jinx myself saying this) I’ve been pretty consistent in pulling lots of bluegills and perch above ice so I don’t think she would get bored quick.

Kids aren’t quite like us, I don’t think too many kids would be interested in watching IDO episodes. I’ve spent a lot of time on the ice with my brother in law and 5 year old niece, so I’ve learned a bit from them.

You go on the ice when they want to, and you leave when they want to.
    Have things available for them to do, and make those things fun for them by you joining in. If it means building a snowman on the ice, build one. If you can get a lively bunch of wax worms or euro larvae, let them stare at them and play with them. If they want to scoop up minnows and watch them swim, let them do that. Catching fish is the bonus part for them at a young age, and often times us adults don’t realize that. Do what you can to get them excited about the thought of being on the ice or in the boat, and then the love of the actual fish will hopefully follow with time.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dave Koonce wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>James Holst wrote:</div>

OMG YES !!! peace

You know he’s going to tell it to us at the Ice Show. Gu-ar-an-teeeeed. grin

YEAUP !! jester

And the bubble gum one doah

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tyler Warner wrote:</div>
    She enjoys seeing me catch <em class=”ido-tag-em”>bass or even just <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>panfish in the summer and she likes to catch the odd one herself but I’ve been showing her ice footage like IDO episodes and other stuff and she doesn’t seem interested at all which is disappointing. I’m hoping I can get her out because (hoping I don’t jinx myself saying this) I’ve been pretty consistent in pulling lots of <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bluegills and <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>perch above ice so I don’t think she would get bored quick.

Kids aren’t quite like us, I don’t think too many kids would be interested in watching IDO episodes. I’ve spent a lot of time on the ice with my brother in law and 5 year old niece, so I’ve learned a bit from them.

You go on the ice when they want to, and you leave when they want to.
    Have things available for them to do, and make those things fun for them by you joining in. If it means building a snowman on the ice, build one. If you can get a lively bunch of wax worms or euro larvae, let them stare at them and play with them. If they want to scoop up minnows and watch them swim, let them do that. Catching fish is the bonus part for them at a young age, and often times us adults don’t realize that. Do what you can to get them excited about the thought of being on the ice or in the boat, and then the love of the actual fish will hopefully follow with time.

What they said. Snacks are good too.(We like the ones Mom doesn’t normally let us have whistling ). Also spare gloves-don’t even try to keep theirs dry, just have extra for when they get wet. This has been my philosophy all along, and it’s paid off in spades. I now have 13 yr old and 8 yr old daughters who’ve been watching the ice begin to form like hawks theses past few days. Last year the youngest would be the one who, at dark-cold and hungry-would be saying to me, “Wait Daddy, just one more flag then we can go.” The 6yr old boy doesn’t yet have the stamina his sisters do, but he’s coming along nicely too. I never knew how much fun kids could be to fish with…guess I should put that on my list of thing to be thankful for this week. Good luck!
    -Rev

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

In addition to other duties, I’ve got an 8 year old and an 11 year old that I owe some more time to,

Joel

Nothing is more important than that! waytogo toast peace peace Critical age and the perfect time to devote time to them. Its amazing how fast it goes and i think the worst is to have regrets – wishing you had done this and done that with them. With both my girls off to college, I’ve been slapped in the face with reality. My kids are done being kids. Their adult lives have started and now its time to enjoy their successes.

Joel, best wishes to you and your family, no matter where that road leads you. toast

castle-rock-clown

Don’t fool yourself that after the kids are out of the house the work ends…they go out and get married and each doubles the size of the family with not just their spouse, but also the in laws. And then come the grandkids…Your life is not your own.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Cr, I am referring to MY TIME with my girls. Already dealing with the boyfriends, and all the inconveniences that comes with them

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.