Jig Struggles

I don’t know what my problem is. I literally cannot catch fish consistently on jigs.

I’ve made just about every adjustment possible. Multiple different models of jigs from multiple different companies.
    I’ve tried fluoro. I’ve tried braid. I’ve tried deep. I’ve tried shallow. I’ve tried grass. I’ve tried wood. I’ve tried cabbage. I’ve tried docks. I’ve tried just about every trailer imaginable.

I’ve given jigs a ridiculous amount of time this year with almost no payoff. My biggest jig fish went 13″. I’ve been able to catch bass at least semi-consistently on every other bait I own, but for some reason I can’t ever get bass to eat a jig.

It bothers me that I can’t get this right. If you look at any tournament fisherman’s boat, you’ll find a jig rigged up 99% of the time. Every year you see 6+ pound giants caught on jigs. They’re a proven big-fish bait, but I can’t even seem to catch ANY fish on them. So what am I doing wrong? Do I scrap the jig plan?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’d scrap it. Sounds like you definitely gave it a significant amount of time in a variety of conditions. I’m not a big jig myself either.

There’s several presentations that’s aren’t my mojo either. A drop shot comes to mind. I fish my strengths and it has translated into a very productive season.

FryDog62

“So what am I doing wrong? Do I scrap the jig plan?”

I wouldn’t give up, here’s my advice and take it fwiw…

Go back to your confidence lures and your favorite style of fishing. I’m sure like all of us you have good days and less than good days. Next time you have a great day numbers and/or quality, mix the jig in. Hopefully you catch quality fish on that as well and remember/learn what a good jig bite feels like.

That’s the best way to build confidence in a lure you’ve lost your mojo on. I used to be the same way with Texas-Rigs… once I caught a few on them again it was like re-learning to ride a bike.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Don’t give it up yet. They are effective, but they have a time and place like anything else. A jig is my favorite way to fish largemouth but this year has been a tougher go bite for me too. Things like a drop shot and light weight Texas rigged worms have been the best presentations for me the last two months.
    I’d suggest experimenting with jig weight more than any other factor. Drop speed is very key right now. On sunday I found that the only way I could get a bite was on a 3/4oz jig. Every bite came on the fall. I tried a couple other lighter jigs and other presentations with not a bite. The fast drop speed of the heavier jig was triggering a reaction strike from fish that were otherwise very hesitant.
    Color, overall size, head design, and trailer types all play into the equation too. Overall though, I’ve found jig weight to be the factor that makes the biggest difference in the amount of bites I get.
    I have everything from 1/4oz compact finesse jigs to 1oz football heads and they all have a time and a place.
    Keep at it, it’s part of fishing. Figuring out the subtleties of each presentation to become successful is what makes a good overall angler.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I am in the exact same boat as you. Terrible jig fisherman, can’t ever seem to get a bite while everyone else is catching giants on them.

Three weeks ago I was having a horrible day on a lake I went to specifically for big fish. Couldn’t get bit on anything. I figured what the hell, I’m already not catching anything I might as well throw a jig the rest of the trip. First cast with a 1/2 jig and rage bug trailer on a rocky deep point and I had my first 5 lber of the year. I wouldn’t say it’s turned my jig game around but it did give me that sliver of confidence with it to keep using it more and I’ve caught more fish with it since.

It’s not an easy thing to master, in my opinion, but I wouldn’t give up on it. They do catch big fish and when you get one on it you will be glad you kept throwing it. One tip I have learned though, it less is more when it comes to working a jig.

catmando
    wis

Tip, take it or not, slow is good with a bass jig.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

It’s all about the drop. Maybe one hop up off the bottom after that, then get it back in for another pitch.

SR

mrpike1973

I’m not great at jigs but do OK my problem was I didn’t know the differences between swimming jigs and dragging jigs they looked the same got that figured out did better I prefer a swimming jig with a paddle tail trailer. It is a common mistake I see some do in my boat from time to time.

Karry Kyllo

To me, it’s all about confidence and learning the nuances of jigging. It doesn’t happen overnight and it takes time on the water learning how and when to fish with a jig. You’ll eventually start catching fish with a jig. As your confidence grows, you’ll get better and better at it and catch more and more fish on a jig in the process. Every presentation takes time to learn.

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

Most jig beginners get excited and want to set the hook the instant they feel the bite. The trick is to hesitate a few seconds before the hook set.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Most jig beginners get excited and want to set the hook the instant they feel the bite. The trick is to hesitate a few seconds before the hook set.

Are you specifically referring to a bass jig on this? That’s what the OP is referring to – not jig fishing for walleyes.

Whenever I see bass pros on TV using a jig, they set the hook immediately and they do it HARD too. Fish it like you you’re trying to lose it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Count me as one who has always struggled with a jig as well. I have had a little better success with fishing it lately – Mostly because I keep one tied on and force myself to try and fish it a few times each outing. Get in the habit of watching the line on the fall or better yet keep some slight pressure on the line during the fall. Like others have said, a lot of the bites come on the initial fall. I’d say about 90% or more of my bites on jigs this year have came within the 1st 10-20 seconds after the jig hits the water. Rather few fish have came after working it after it hits the bottom – unless its been on the first pump or two after. Like most baits its all about confidence. You probably just need a few times of doing well on it to get the confidence in it and start doing better with it.

tim hurley

I like to use a stick bait on a light jig and do great in June, my problem is switching over to heavier weights and creatury stuff this time of year I have all that stuff I just never use it, crazy.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyefishwalleye wrote:</div>

Are you specifically referring to a bass jig on this? That’s what the OP is referring to – not jig fishing for walleyes.

Whenever I see bass pros on TV using a jig, they set the hook immediately and they do it HARD too. Fish it like you you’re trying to lose it.

Most structure/football jigs have large gauge hooks and that’s why they drop the hammer on the fish. Takes more power to drive a larger gauge hook into a fishes mouth than say a lighter hook like a drop shot or neko hook.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Kind of off topic, my son likes a half ounce jig, and I like a Tx rig with a half ounce weight. Are they really that different? They must be.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yep. Jig has a bigger profile and more action while stationary because of the skirt.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

A new lure setup that I’ve been trying in place of a jig and pig lately and have been having decent success on. A 1/2oz skirted punch weight, a sweet beaver or chigger craw, a force bead, and a 5/0 owner hook. Pegged with a bobber stop on top

Attachments:
    1. 3F2EF8B4-1EED-4F7A-BC32-36B447120044.jpeg

2. DCEA6FA7-37DD-48C4-889D-81CEB2B0AD75.jpeg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I really like these force beads. I think they add a clacking noise and they protect your knot. I also use them on my Texas rigs

tim hurley

Why is the fixed weight(pegged) better than the fixed weight of a jig, also are you mostly throwing creature plastics now?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Why is the fixed weight(pegged) better than the fixed weight of a jig, also are you mostly throwing creature plastics now?

I prefer to have the weight slightly pegged. Without pegging it sometimes the bait gets hung in the top of the weeds while the sinker falls to the bottom. With the bobber stop the weight stays somewhat lose against the bead and hook but cannot free slide.
    I’m still fishing the jigworm and dropshot someb but have been mixing in this setup some. My biggest fish of the year came in it this morning. Fished it a little more this outing due to the wind.

Attachments:
    1. 1F7F6DDE-C91F-4B35-8C35-F1BF740F55B7.jpeg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Why is the fixed weight(pegged) better than the fixed weight of a jig, also are you mostly throwing creature plastics now?[/quote
    I also think this setup falls and comes through Thick weeds a little better than the jig. I also think it’s something that fish are seeing far less than the standard jig and pig.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Fishthumper, that black crazy legs chigger craw with blue flecks is my favorite with a half oz tungsten weight. Pike like them,too, unfortunately. I don’t peg them because I’m too lazy todo it. It might help

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Not bass, but when I first started with jigs and plastics for crappies I had a heck of a time staying focused on things if I had live bait along as a crutch. I finally took nothing to the water but jigheads and assorted plastics and forced myself to pay attention to what was happening when things worked out. I logged these adventures so I had a reference to what worked and why and like-wise when things didn’t work. This may help you too.

Personally I think the smallies are way more fussy to what plastic you’re tossing their way than largemouths are.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Personally I think the smallies are way more fussy to what plastic you’re tossing their way than largemouths are.

Water clarity and pressure play a big role in this. A lake like Mille Lacs or Minnetonka, which have both clear water and a ton of pressure, make it much more difficult.

A small lake or river that has murkier water and doesn’t get fished hard will make it easier. This not only applies just to jig fishing, but bass fishing in general. Just my 2 cents

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

fishingdakotacountymn, like you I had a very slow start with jogging. My forte’ is cranks. I catch fish on cranks when everyone else is on a jig bite. A lot has to do with confidence and your demeanor. I’m intense and generally fish pretty fast.

My transition came with swim jigs. Pretty simple, thinner skirt. Typically a bullet nose jig, and a 3 to 5” curl tail or paddle tail trailer. Enabled me to fish a crank bait style through thick crap that I never would have tossed a crank bait. The result was it taught me to slow down. I mean really slow down. Learned quickly how often I got bit on a fall.

Additional I got my rear ended handed to me Jim Jones. I was in the back of his boat and we were pitching to a beaver feed pile. Looked like Jim was just sitting there with his jig laying still. I was pounding the snot out of it. I was catching tons of 12-13” dinks. Jim was popping 3 and 4 pounders. Slow vs fast. Slow wins

robby
    Quad Cities

There is a learning curve! Big skirts slow the fall. Skinny skirts quicken the fall. Gotta find what the basses want sometimes. Stick with braid in the beginning, perhaps even a yellow braid. Watch your line! Rod tip up, 11 O’clock. When you feel a bit, or even just mush, or see your line twitch, or move off, lower your rod tip, reel in but not super fast until you “feel the fish” or feel resistance, then set the hook by lifting rod upwards and hard. Try to cross their eyes! You will get it, if I can, anyone can. I am not a jig master, but am proficient. I learned by taking only a couple rods and a few different jigs and trailers and refusing to throw any other baits. You will get it. The advise about slow was good too. There are times to pitch, let the jig fall, hop once, reel again and repeat. But there are also times to work the jig home. Just keep messing with it. I made this far harder than it is. I do that with a lot of things, and then defeat myself until I can relax and trust in it. And remember, hook sets are free. If any doubt, set the hook! Garlic and other scents can help also. Once last thing, baitcasting rigs work best for me using a skirted jig. Swim jigs are a different baby, another topic.

catmando
    wis

Black n Blue…. is always true!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Watch your line!

This. Not just for jig fishing either. Pitching to docks, deep worms, dragging plastics. I’m a huge line watching. You can see every bite if you’re watching your line. Keep your rod tip high and leave a bow in your line. When a fish sucks in your lure your line will jump. Then jack em. Sometimes if you don’t see the line jump, you will see it start to move to the left or right. The fish has it, and is swimming with it. Jack em.

Huge believer in watching your line.

Spoon Minnow

I have done great with skirted jigs & trailers for years. My tips would include what grubson wrote.
    1. consider where your using a jig and
    2. how the jig is to be used

Generally speaking I swim lighter jigs horizontally; heavier jigs on bottom. I used to Uncle Josh pork frogs – the most used trailer for years. Once I saw a tournament partner catch bass using them, I was hooked(no pun intended.) Once I caught my first bass on one I just had to make a plaster mold of the three different size. Note:the name frog given to the trailer had no resemblance to a frog as you can see by the shape:

Most significant things about the trailer (as I found out a few decades later) was the flat wide body and those thin triangular-shaped flappers on the back. When lift the jig off the bottom and then hop and drag it a foot, those flappers quivered. Same thing happens when the jig frog trailer retrieved parallel to the bottom – kind a like a spinnerbait.

I use only one of three designs as the mood strikes me. The frog design is most subtle in action; the claw tail trailer – the most action:

I’ve used Sweet Beaver style lures as trailer (in this case the Ugly Otter):

….as well as both of these:

When it comes to skirted head jig design, the Arkie head has always been my favorite:

It has a blunt round head that seems to come through vegetation well and stirs up clouds of mud on the bottom. The brush guard does well fending off weeds and the wide gap hook a big plus for any size bass.

I even came up with a way to keep the trailer in place. This for nose hooked trailers:

…..and another for trailers pushed up the hook:

Braid is my only line choice.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I am ok with jigs. I’ve caught some big fish on them. I just don’t particularly like fishing with them. I am not a line watcher and I miss a lot of fish. That leads to frustration and a lack of confidence. I have a comfort level with them, but it’s uneasy because I know I am below average in execution with them. With the amount of time I have spent using them, I think I should be better at it. It just doesn’t come naturally to me.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.