Jiffy propane auger issue

• Brandon mangalaw

I have had a jiffy propane auger for about a year and at the end of last season it’s stopped running right it would run for a few seconds and stop then it stopped trying to turn over any ideas?

Nodak

I’m not a tech but it could be starved for fuel. My gas augers did that once and the fuel lines were bad. Maybe inspect the fuel lines/throttle. I’ve never really seen a propane augers before.

shady5

I have a Pro 4 that had starting issues that I thought it were related to the fuel system. A few different shops checked it out and never really fixed anything. Then I took it to a shop that adjusted the valves and now it seems to work better.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I have one of the 1st gen.model’s and a year ago last feb.it was hard starting ran so,so and wouldn’t idle.I took to a jiffy service center and they needed to adjust the valves.Not sure could have something to do with it.

Kevin Cegielski

Something to look at…if you don’t haul it correctly, or overfill the oil, it will get into the carb. I accidentally overfilled mine just a tiny bit, and oil would get into the carb. Trust me…it doesnt run very well when this happens.

bassh8er

Something to look at…if you don’t haul it correctly, or overfill the oil, it will get into the carb. I accidentally overfilled mine just a tiny bit, and oil would get into the carb. Trust me…it doesnt run very well when this happens.

Had the same issue.

I had enough issues that I went to electric.

Mine leaked oil so much and was so hard starting that I gave up. Worked well for 2 seasons, then not so much.

David Vold
    Baraboo, WI

I have a Pro 4 lite that quit on me in the middle of drilling a hole. This happened a couple of years ago, took it to a local service shop and found out the timing belt slipped. They could not fix. I contacted Jiffy and was told no replacement parts for power head but the motor was the same as a Honda GX35. I ordered timing belt on line for less than 8 dollars, installed it myself and no runs great.

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

I don’t suppose you have a part number for that belt. I too have a Pro4 Lite, and would like to keep this handy in case it’s an issue for me down the road

Kevin Cegielski

Sold mine recently. Sad, cause it had about 10 min use on it. I’m buying a 40 V strikemaster electric. No more fuel. I’d buy the strikemaster lazer pro 2 stroke for hole hopping though. No faster auger on the market for that.

David Vold
    Baraboo, WI

I unfortunately don’t have the part number any more, I did keep the old belt for a little while but must have thrown it away. I know that all I did was google honda GX35 motor and was able to get a parts break down and ordered it that way. Sorry I don’t have the number.

James Gunther

May I ask how you found the top dead center mark on the flywheel. Is there any way to tell if it skipped timing. Thanks

David Vold
    Baraboo, WI

Both pulleys have marks on them, also there where some marks on the engine I believe. I know I googled the repair manual for the Honda GX35 motor and it explained very well and also had pictures.

Donald Allen

Just had to take my Pro 4 in for a no start. I’ve had it 2 years. The repair center called me back in about 4 hours said the valves are too tight. Seems weird that the vales are tightening up but whatever they say.

This is the second time I’ve had to take it in. First time was the regulator.

I don’t know if I would go this route again if I had to do it all over. I do like not having to mess with the gas & oil. It does have a lot of power to drill through 3 ft of ice. But one should not have to take something in that is 2 years old twice already.

shady5

Just had to take my Pro 4 in for a no start. I’ve had it 2 years. The repair center called me back in about 4 hours said the valves are too tight. Seems weird that the vales are tightening up but whatever they say.

This is the second time I’ve had to take it in. First time was the regulator.

I don’t know if I would go this route again if I had to do it all over. I do like not having to mess with the gas & oil. It does have a lot of power to drill through 3 ft of ice. But one should not have to take something in that is 2 years old twice already.

I took mine in for starting issues and they adjusted the valves also. I didn’t believe it would work, but it seemed to. I would say they are not a good option for super cold conditions.

nu98walleye

I’ve had a pro 4 lite going on my 3rd winter and i would not buy another one. Had it into warranty repair shop during warranty period which didn’t seem to help. Works perfect for periods of time and then just when i think everything’s good it decides to do a 180 and run like crap. Drives me crazy cause i will never go on any trip with just that auger being i can never fully rely on it working correctly. I always store it either up right or with the spark plug pointing up to avoid leaking oil (even tho jiffy says on the lite model it doesn’t matter). I also always take the propane tank off after each time its used.

Does anyone know if the pro 4 lite’s have the same valve adjustments as the regular pro 4’s have?

skfishing16

I’ve had a strikemaster with Honda 4 stroke about 6 years now. Have had no issues and gas is much cheaper than those propane tanks.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.