Jiffy Auger Warning

• shady5

A buddy and I were out the other day using my Jiffy Pro 4 (my 3rd season with it). After about ten holes he yells to me and I see he’s holding only the powerhead; no auger bit…. long story short, the ingenious rubber collar/pin had slipped and the bit went down the hole!!! $250 later I have a whole auger again. Needless to say, my new bit is bolted on…
    So, if you own a Jiffy, you may want to do yourself a favor and replace the pin with a bolt or retaining pin of some sort.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ouch!

404 ERROR
    MN

Depends how ambitious you are, but it can be pulled from the lake with a subwoofer magnet tied to a rope. I have seen it done before, got the idea from a youtube video. Cut a large hole, drop a camera down and then drop the magnet down and slowly work it up.

I have came very close with my Nils/Tanaka one time. After years of switching between a 6″ and 8″ bit on my powerhead, the nylock nut lost its holding properties and fell off. Then the bolt slowly began to back out. Luckily I got to it before the bolt fell off. Nylock nuts are designed for a 1 time use, I learned that the hard way and keep a couple in my tackle bag now.

shady5

At this point, I’m just trying to come up with $250 worth of ribbing that I can use on him. Things like, “You know, the bit isn’t consumable, you don’t use one per hole…”.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Be a good excuse for me to get rid of my jiffy….

I can see how that would happen easily, never thought of it.

shady5

One more thing about the Jiffy propane augers; I had problems with starting mine and had no confidence that it would run once out on the ice. I took it to a repair shop and told them it likely had a fuel problem. They looked it over and told me there were no fuel system issues, but they adjusted the valves. I totally had no confidence that that was the issue, but amazingly, have had zero issues since. So, if you’re having starting problems, that may be the cause.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

They make some amazingly strong magnets.

shady5

I’m going to leave it down there and way point it for structure….!!!!

castle-rock-clown

So what are the gps coordinates of this new “sructure”…?

shady5

That bit ($70) isn’t for the Pro 4, but I definitely could have gotten a lower price if I shopped around. Yes, inspection can go a long way and I can definitely get better at it!

uninc4709

That bit ($70) isn’t for the Pro 4, but I definitely could have gotten a lower price if I shopped around. Yes, inspection can go a long way and I can definitely get better at it!

It would certainly have worked for your Pro4, that same blade fit my dad’s Pro 4.

“Fits All LHR Jiffy® Ice Drills (Includes Blade Teeth & Blade Protector)”

At a $250 mistake, you would have been wise to just spend another $50 and get a newer gen Demo Pro4 for $300.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

My Eskimo did the same thing twice i caught it half way down the hole both time . Eskimo also Leaks gas . Just upgraded to the strikemaster lithium only thing i see I don’t like is it has the same bolt setup as Eskimo

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Yea it happened to my Eskimo a few years back. I wasn’t able to grab it before she went down. I went back with a magnet and camera but was unable to find it. Needless to say the new one is attached with bolt and locknut.

olisflyrod
    Lakeville MN

Just use electrical tape and wrap around the bolt and shaft 2-3 times. I use it to keep my hand auger in my electric drill. :>

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

It has never crossed my mind to check the pin on my Jiffy. I will make sure to do that before I head out next, and maybe replace it with a new bolt. In about 7 years, I can only recall one time that I have even taken the pin out.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

For the record.
    There are only two styles of drill assemblies for the new Jiffys, XT and STX. Basically look at the blades. If you have the the two pilot blades you have a STX.

Get a magnet and Good luck!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.