Jet Boil? Portable stoves?

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Hey,

I’m interested in a small cooker similar to a jet boil. I see there are ample varieties out there. Prices vary widely and it seems like fuel sources also.

Not looking for super expensive lightweight backpack solution, but something small to make hot meals in the boat, ice house, prairie dog’n or otherwise remote area away from the kitchen.

Any suggestions from the IDO meal preppers?

I’d like to keep costs down in the fuel department: easier it is & lower cost to replenish fuel source the better. I don’t mind upfront cost, but would like running costs to be low. Of course

Looking at cooking hot dogs, soup, warm up leftovers, coffee…etc
    Clueless to these cookers so any help is welcome.

Thanks
    Andy

Have always used the sunflower – time for a change.

Timmy

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjVxOHn27roAhWv_-MHHfZ_CwsYABAGGgJ5bQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RomguX4Sj9yphEftSsPoaGads&sig=AOD64_3u3GzAdlNdaqv9C479h_xn4DG1Ew&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjMxNnn27roAhWCWM0KHZMQD4gQ9aACegQICxA2&adurl=

I bought this one for the boat/ice house. Small, and packs away beautifully. The fuel cans, although a touch spendy up front can be refilled with an adaptor. You can buy cans of butane at Asian food markets for pretty cheap and refill. Straight butane does not work real well in cold temps, so I buy new iso/butane cans for winter use in the fish house. I highly recommend it.

Not sure what you consider too spendy for fuel, but an 8 oz can is about $4.50. That’s the best size IMO, because it fits perfectly in the cooking kit I listed – making an easily stowable package.

CBMN
    North Metro

Might not be your one source solution but I have a Coleman fold and go grill that gets used on the Rainy River trips in spring. I really like it because it is simple and runs on 1 lb propane bottles. It has approximately 2” tall feet on it and that is high enough to not burn boat carpet. I only really use it to grill but would think it could heat a small pan. I believe they make another grate for it that goes on top of the burner for use as a stove more than the grill top included. Might have paid $30 or $40 for mine about 10 years ago. But it only gets used 10-20 days a year.

Might be worth a look.

Attachments:
    1. 81894EB9-8D3B-43D3-8299-92731F30D336.jpeg

mike mulhern

I use a jet boil and really like it quick start and cooks real fast if needed I like that the pot fits perfectly and the cover doubles as a drinkable cup/lid. excellant for coffee or hot chocolate. I rinse it with water and cook up soup for lunch same pot. Downside is that fuel containers aren’t everywhere. But they fit inside the pot for packing ease. I have backpacker stoves that are lighter and easier to find fuel for but this one is handy. I use mine in Canada and for shore lunch this is not your stove too small. I use a coleman two burner
    for that. The jetboil is a one or two person stove.

Mike

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Might not be your on source solution but I have a Coleman fold and go grill that gets used on the Rainy River trips in spring. I really like it because it is simple and runs on 1 lb propane bottles. It has approximately 2” tall feet on it and that is high enough to not burn boat carpet. I only really use it to grill but would think it could heat a small pan. I believe they make another grate for it that goes on top of the burner for use as a stove more than the grill top included. Might have paid $30 or $40 for mine about 10 years ago. But it only gets used 10-20 days a year.

Might be worth a look.

I’ve got the same one I use it occasionally but not very much honestly. For hunting I have this one, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQLGV0Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It’s similar to a jetboil but more affordable. I use it for ice fishing quite a bit. It’s small and fits inside itself. Everything including fuel fits into the cup included with it! You could probably boil a couple hot dogs in a cup of water with it but it’s not a grill by any means. I’ve prepped food for in it, make like lasagna and put it in a freezer bag. You can boil water and drop the freezer bag in and let the food get hot then cut the bag open and enjoy!

Price always seems to be cheaper to run something with propane however. I tend to use mine most for hunting. It’s light and packs well. Mountain house freeze dried food really shines when using these. Just boil water and dump it in and let er cook!

hillhiker
    SE MN

I have a jet boil like the one posted earlier. It’s light and compact which makes it ideal in a back pack. I found a deal on a MSR WhisperLite universal a while back because I didn’t want to go through so many canisters. The MSR lets you use both canisters, if needed, and you can also hook up a refillable fuel bottle. This is what I bring with in the boat and keep in the truck during deer season. The only down side is you have to have a separate pot to cook in where with the Jet boil its basically all in one.

Rick Janssen

I have a jet boil like the one posted earlier. It’s light and compact which makes it ideal in a back pack. I found a deal on a MSR WhisperLite universal a while back because I didn’t want to go through so many canisters. The MSR lets you use both canisters, if needed, and you can also hook up a refillable fuel bottle. This is what I bring with in the boat and keep in the truck during deer season. The only down side is you have to have a separate pot to cook in where with the Jet boil its basically all in one.

I have this same set up. I use these for my BWCWA trips. The nice thing about the Jet Boil, like mentioned, is that everything is self contained and easy to use. If you want to use for just heating water, that is the way to go. While the fuel and system seems costly, it is so fast and that it does not take much fuel to heat up the water.

Cody Meyers

I also have a jetboil. I love it and use it quite a bit on western hunts and when it’s cold in the boat. One thing to consider if you go this route is if you want a standard model which will only boil water (mine will boil water in like 90 seconds), or if you want one with variable temp control more like a stove burner. They don’t boil water as fast, but you can do more actual cooking with it. The one I have I use to boil water and add to Mtn. House, or boil water and add soup etc.

Depending how fancy you like to cook it could be a nice feature.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

Jet Boil is hard to beat. It’s really fast.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Not looking for super expensive lightweight backpack solution, but something small to make hot meals in the boat, ice house, prairie dog’n or otherwise remote area away from the kitchen.

A liquid fuel stove will be the cheapest to operate and will burn the longest on the same volume of fuel. (a container of propane verses a container of equal volume holding liquid fuel)

I have several various styles from the traditional Coleman folding double burner to the ultra light, ultra small backpacking stoves.

IMHO you would be well served with one of these; Single burner liquid fuel stoveSingle burner liquid fuel stoveSingle burner liquid fuel stove
    I have two of these that are more than several years old. They are almost bulletproof.
    I’ve used them hunting, fishing, camping and they pack well on a motorcycle. Find a pot with lid (I use a porcelain pot I found at Walmart) that it will fit into, fill the stove with fuel and you are set to go for about three to five meals, with no additional fuel. Add a GOOD extra fuel container for longer trips. https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/stove-accessories/msr-fuel-bottles/msr-fuel-bottles.html

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

I do a lot of truck camping on my hunting and fishing adventures. Don’t overlook the cheap Coleman butane single burner stoves. These are my go to these days and I own several other varieties. They cost $20 at most retailers and run on a butane bottle the size of a spray paint can. They have a larger burner than the backpack style stoves and are extremely stable/not tippy.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Rather than put out a model I’ll give you one to think about. Fire hazards

ex. https://www.coleman.com/all-camp-kitchen/camping-stoves/bottle-top-propane-stove/col_2000020950_pr/COL_2000020950
    Economical and easy to find fuel. However it’s tippy, how will that go in a boat?

ex. Liquid fuel stoves like MSR Whisperlite. I’ve used a dragonfly for 15+ years

When you light one of these you need to let a little fuel out and then light it to prime. With practice you don’t get any outside of the burn chamber but every once in a while it happens. Love my stove but won’t bring it in a boat.

Sorry, no experience with jetboil type models.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I use the Pocket Rocket for BWCA/camping. It’s tiny and bulletproof, plus heats very quickly. Pair with whatever pot you’d like.

I’ve heard the cheap Chinese knockoffs on Amazon or eBay are surprisingly decent, too.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I use the Pocket Rocket for BWCA/camping. It’s tiny and bulletproof, plus heats very quickly. Pair with whatever pot you’d like.

I’ve heard the cheap Chinese knockoffs on Amazon or eBay are surprisingly decent, too.

I also have a jetboil. I love it and use it quite a bit on western hunts and when it’s cold in the boat. One thing to consider if you go this route is if you want a standard model which will only boil water (mine will boil water in like 90 seconds), or if you want one with variable temp control more like a stove burner. They don’t boil water as fast, but you can do more actual cooking with it. The one I have I use to boil water and add to Mtn. House, or boil water and add soup etc.

Depending how fancy you like to cook it could be a nice feature.

Each of these rigs used only for boiling water or can they be depended on to cook hot meals too? With my trips to BWCA I need something that can cook a hot breakfast and a then a fish dinner daily. I currently run the simple single burner set up Andy is talking about, but those 1 lb propane tanks take up SO much space in a pack.

zooks

Most of the single use burner stoves work reasonably well but don’t get to your desire for keeping the running cost down because the fuel canisters aren’t cheap.

I’d probably go with a stove with a refillable fuel canister, MSR Whisper Lite is the industry standard with lots of accessories and refillable canister options.

patk makes a good point about lighting those types of stoves but one could whip together something to make sure you don’t burn a hole in your boat; I would think lighting the stove inside of a big cast iron pan would probably do the trick. Good luck with what you decide.

tswoboda

Not sure how you plan to cook, but jetboils (and similar all in one canister stoves) are pretty much just good for boiling water. Useful for dehydrated meals, coffee, and that kind of stuff.

Different stove types use different fuels:

Butane: super cheap, lightweight, easy to get, reliable down to mid 30 temps
    Isobutane: expensive, lightweight, not as easy to get, reliable down to mid 20 temps
    Propane: (1 lb canister): cheap, heavy, easy to get, reliable to -20 temps
    White Gas: cheap, lightweight, more cumbersome to use, reliable in any temp

I’m guessing you want something cold weather worthy and stupid simple… stick with propane. The coleman bottletop single burners are small enough to pack away, easy to use, and really wind proof. If you want something smaller (like fit in your pocket small) then you can get a propane adapter for the typical backpacker stoves like a pocket rocket.

Pick up a cheap 2 qt aluminum or stainless stock pot and you’re good to go.

Attachments:
    1. lpg-adapter.jpg

2. lpg-adapter-1.jpg

3. coleman.jpg

Honest John
    Western Wisconsin

Coleman Peak1 dual fuel 553.

https://www.campsaver.com/coleman-dual-fuel-stove.html?_iv_code=7A-CMS-COLEMANDUALSTOVE1-3000003654&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyPbzBRDsARIsAFh15JZxhZa6tS4TIG8blqSwbx_iM-_zVsCyOqkn64FQdeQFABJ8ZoT3pqoaAq8_EALw_wcB

Simple, no expensive disposo gas canisters. Run on Coleman fuel or gasoline. One fill lasts over an hour.

Grouse

Coleman Peak1 dual fuel 553.

https://www.campsaver.com/coleman-dual-fuel-stove.html?_iv_code=7A-CMS-COLEMANDUALSTOVE1-3000003654&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyPbzBRDsARIsAFh15JZxhZa6tS4TIG8blqSwbx_iM-_zVsCyOqkn64FQdeQFABJ8ZoT3pqoaAq8_EALw_wcB

Simple, no expensive disposo gas canisters. Run on Coleman fuel or gasoline. One fill lasts over an hour.

Grouse

I agree with Grouse’s recommendation. I had the predecessor of that stove and used it for 50 years. I also have the dual fuel version pictured in the link. They work just fine in below zero (F.) weather. Propane is a problem in subzero weather.

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

I have tried different one burners over the years (propane and gas) for winter and summer camping in the BWCA and Rainy Lake. The winter is the big test. I keep going back to The Coleman Peak 1 Model 400. You can only buy them used. I just looked one up on Ebay, $130.00. Hopefully the one I got will last. Might be hard to justify the cost for a used one. But when your hands are freezing and you need to boil drinking water $130 seams reasonable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Peak-1-Model-400-Backpacking-Etc-Single-Burner-Stove-Dated-5-81-Used/223949530831?hash=item34246ea6cf:g:whkAAOSwE6RecQkP

outdoorsmn

It’s been mentioned already but this seems like your best bet. It’s priced right, cheaper and more practical fuel source you can get at most gas stations. Great for frying brats, burgers, fish, etc.

I have used this in the duck blind, deer stand, turkey hunting, fishing trips, etc. I also have used a Jetboil for BWCA trips. Those work great for backpacking type trips but fuel is harder to come by.

Attachments:
    1. Coleman.png

B-man

Bringing this thread back to life.

As I brought up earlier, I was looking for a camp stove that could really put out heat.

I did a bunch of research and bought a Camp Chef Everest (20,000 btu per burner, 40,000 btu total)

Absolutely awesome!

The amount of heat this thing puts out blows anything I’ve ever used out of the water.

If you’re in the market for a folding campstove, I highly recommend it. Hands down.

It will bring a large pot of water to a boil as fast as my stove in my house.

Fries fish like a boss too.

They have a new model out called the 2x. Looks very similar to the one I have, but they changed a couple small things like the latches.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. It Took me a while to decide but we’ve had some good meals on some cold days!

Attachments:
    1. 20201212_183215.jpg

2. 20201212_111312.jpg

nu98walleye

Good ole 2 burner coleman stove works perfect for coffee, fishfry, hotdogs, ramen noodles, beans etc.

Priced right at under $50. I use mine camping up at voyagers twice a year and out ice fishing all the time in winter.

Attachments:
    1. stove-pic.png

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.