Jacking up an engine to replace a belt tensioner

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

2005 Toyota Corolla.
    Videos show jacking up the car at the oil pan so the tensioner bolt has enough clearance to be taken completely out. Youtube videos show an auto mechanic using a rubber disc on the floor jack and going under the passenger side edge of the oil pan. Other videos say use a piece of wood to spread the pressure across the bottom of the oil pan.
    What do you guys think?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I would be looking up how easy or difficult it is to replace the oil pan if you do damage it. I would just go real easy with the jack…

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Either will be fine, oil pans are pretty strong compared to the weight of the engine you are jacking up.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Agree you should be fine, did you try to take the bolt out first to make sure you need room?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

You’ll be fine. Nothing to worry about.

robby
    Quad Cities

More poor engineering. A buddy had a Cadillac. I replace the passenger side front turn signal lamp you had to remove the front bumper. This is not just that easy because of the airbag. This lamp burned out every 18 months give or take. Cost almost $500 each time. Just dumb.

MX1825

More poor engineering. A buddy had a Cadillac. I replace the passenger side front turn signal lamp you had to remove the front bumper. This is not just that easy because of the airbag. This lamp burned out every 18 months give or take. Cost almost $500 each time. Just dumb.

There is a whole bunch of cars that are a pain in the behind to change headlights and turn signal bulbs. Just PP engineering.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

did you try to take the bolt out first to make sure you need room?

I will but all videos show you have too. I think that’s why I haven’t changed it yet.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.