it’s Tuesday, let’s talk tacos

• phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

what is your favorite way to have tacos? I’m a pretty plain type of taco eater. corn shell fried in oil, ground burger no seasoning, lettuce and cheese with some ortega taco sauce. NEVER a flour tortilla as I think they are like eating a paper towel. I’ll use shredded chicken occasionally as well. when I was in my early 20’s, I worked at an authentic mexican taqueria. The tacos there were more of a traditional mexican taco. corn shell with carnitas, el pastor, chicken with cilantro and onions. when I had the cook make me tacos with lettuce and cheese, he would call them tacos el gringo lol
    One time, I was feeding a work crew and I had a buddy making up the tacos for the crew. I told him I wanted corn shells fried in oil. When I came in to eat, he was frying corn shells in oil. Except, he had bought the pre formed, already cooked shells such as old el paso, otega, taco bell types. He was then frying those in oil! lol. I had to explain to him the difference and he said he had never heard of my way before. I still give him crap about it years later.

lay your tacos on me

big_g
    Isle, MN

Soft shell…. fish, coleslaw and cheese, cold beer.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Flour soft shell, meat, sharp cheddar, Watkins seasoning. Beer too!

HRG

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Spicy meat, jalapeños, cheese lots of salsa lettuce if I have some

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We eat tacos fairly often and have a few variations that we regularly rotate:

-soft shell, shredded chicken in the pressure cooker with cream cheese and hot sauce, add guacamole and fresh pico…this makes great gameday dip/nachos too that are extremely simple

-soft shell, fried walleye/sauger lightly rolled in cajun shorelunch (no egg, beer, etc), wife’s homemade aoli sauce with jalapeno, sour cream, lime, and seasoning, top with a little pico and guac

-fried tortilla, ground beef with homemade taco seasoning, raw onion chopped, fresh tomatoes, sharp cheddar, and sour cream (generally make these in the summer with a giant pitcher of strawberry margaritas)

***I’m really looking to up our game once we are situated at the new place by making these and more varieties on a Blackstone***

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I’m a tortilla guy. Loaded to the gills. Any kind of meat, Lettuce, cheese, onions, sour cream, salsa, jalapenos & diced tomatoes. Absolutely no Black olives.. ick..

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I just cannot get on board with it being called a taco without there being chili powder involved. Brown the beef/venison with chili infused olive oil and then apply chili/cumin/paprika.

Walleye tacos are hard to beat. Fry or blacken, and then make a citrusy aioli.

Rick Z
    Stark MN

Street tacos from a taco truck

BigWerm
    SW Metro

My favorite way to have tacos? It’s fresh and hot. Like pizza there’s no bad taco’s just better versions. Street tacos, gringo tacos, fish tacos, I could keep going like Bubba talking shrimp. Oh and Shrimp tacos, just made those last Friday $$$$.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>phishingruven wrote:</div>
    ground burger no seasoning

just plain old ground burger? zero seasoning at all?

yep. im not against it, just not a fan. A lot of the time, people make it too juicy and it soaks the tortilla to the point where the bottom gives out and then you have a wet mess on your hands and plate.

i would definitely eat some of the tacos people in this thread make though. they do sound pretty good.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

No love for Taco Johns? Their tacos are dirt cheap on Tuesdays. Course, you run the risk of spending some extended amount of time on the toilet later.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

LA casa pita in white bear or whatever it’s considered. There tacos are the bomb

duh queen

Tacos and cajones belong together. …………..Call it animal magnetism.

hillhiker
    SE MN

I make a big batch of canned venison each year with the original Ortega seasoning in the jars. Dump the jar in a frying pan to warm it up and shred the chunks a bit, and top with pico, queso fresco, sour cream, and lettuce. It’s fast, easy, and dang good! If I’m out of venison it’s all about the walleye taco’s(both blackened and fried) with cole slaw, queso fresco, and pico for toppings.

Deuces

My favorite way to have tacos? It’s fresh and hot. Like pizza there’s no bad taco’s just better versions. Street tacos, gringo tacos, fish tacos, I could keep going like Bubba talking shrimp. Oh and Shrimp tacos, just made those last Friday $$$$.

X2

This seasoning is awesome, good way to mix things up. We have tacos 1x week.
    lol

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Agree on the La Tiara. Best I have found around here.

-J.

CaptainMusky

No love for Taco Johns Bell? Their tacos are dirt cheap on Tuesdays. Course, you run the risk of spending some extended amount of time on the toilet later.

You rent the food from Taco Bell.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

No love for Taco Johns? Their tacos are dirt cheap on Tuesdays. Course, you run the risk of spending some extended amount of time on the toilet later.

I’ll give them props on the oles that’s it

CaptainMusky

I’ll give them props on the oles that’s it

Their tacos arent too bad, but I used to get the Ole’s and drive to Taco Bell for tacos.

Rick Z
    Stark MN

I like their breakfast burritos

Michael Best

I am with Rick on this one.
    A good street taco off a food truck is hard to beat.

When we are at home my wife fries our shells and they have to be corn.

On a side note when she makes nachos she fries our chips as well.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Taco truck that’s around Cambridge and the one in forest lake. Those guys make some delicious tacos

Mike Oleson

Here’s a wrinkle for you guys who like “crunchy corn shells”., but don’t like em to fall all over—warm a 10 inch flour shell slightly, add some taco meat, extra sauces, guac, sour cream, etc on that extra meat, and put your prebuilt hardshell taco inside…(Taco bravo style)..

CaptainMusky

How about fry tacos? Used to get them in Cass Lake and Bemidji from a food truck. Amazing!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

El Jefe in south minneapolis makes a carrot taco with marscapone cheese. That’s some fancy city tacos for you country folk.

They started as, and still have, a food truck so I think that makes a veggie taco ok. Especially for citiots like me.

Otherwise, any meat with cilantro, cheese, sour cream, some pico or good salsa, and some avocado works for me. Warm flour tortilla.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

How about fry tacos? Used to get them in Cass Lake and Bemidji from a food truck. Amazing!

Oh yeah, Oofda Taco’s got me thru many a WeFest concert!

CaptainMusky

Oh yeah, Oofda Taco’s got me thru many a WeFest concert!

That may have been the name of the joint I got them from! Mind blown. Had never heard of them before but so glad I tried them.

E4mo

I’ve never met a taco I didn’t like.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.