Its totally out of control

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I can’t take my family of 4 to Subway for under $50. That is just insane. And they ask for a tip on top of it now.

I finally had to break down and start clipping coupons. Haven’t done that since college.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

That same wage would have to be 28.10 today just to keep up with inflation.

The comparison was between the food prices given by the OP and wages.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

when i was a kid, my parents clipped coupons endlessly. even had a drawer full of coupons clipped and ready to go. Nowadays, people look down on having to use coupons and are all, food is too expensive. It’s always been expensive. There are more people to feed today than there was 30 years ago. Farm land used for producing food hasn’t increased a lot. :::bangs on calculator:::: ::math checks out::

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Correct, the land hasn’t increased but the yield is probably 10 fold of what it was. In addition there are more and different fillers to increase the output.

Read a blip in the paper today that there is a proposal out to set the minimum wage for state workers at $20 an hour. Likely won’t pass but they won’t stop pushing until it does.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

I’d be interested to see how the increase in two-income households has changed prices over the decades

brandyman
    West central MN

We actually loose farm land in the US every year. South American countries, like Brazil, are clearcutting all kinds of forest for more land. I agree, we buy beef from a neighbor and you can’t buy better beef at a store!
    Prices for pretty much everything have gone up!

jimmysiewert

I say it all the time but nobody ever wants to hear it or talk about it – but everything is tied to a serious population problem. Food, disease, pollution, water shortages, supply and demand, the list goes on and on.

rmartin
    United States

Meat packers are making record profits. There is also an ever deepening truck driver shortage. A year ago, oil companies were making record profits.

isu22andy

Is it population though ?

Attachments:
    1. BDD94269-6FA9-43BE-8202-745DAA5F0EB1.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Meat packers are making record profits. There is also an ever deepening truck driver shortage.

This is accurate and a massive lawsuit was settled because of it with a few of the major players in the industry that control the bulk of the meat processing in this country – JBS, Smithfield, and Tyson to be specific.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Is it population though ?

Most experts say no, Jimmy says yes, and sounds like he says it all the time

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Overpopulation is real and part of the problem.

“What will the population be in 2050?
    9.8 billion
    The current world population of 7.6 billion is expected to reach 8.6 billion in 2030, 9.8 billion in 2050 and 11.2 billion in 2100, according to a new United Nations report being launched today.”

Attachments:
    1. world-pop.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Tell your kids and grandkids to stop reproducing !!! Seems to be the solution to your over population problem. End the family name.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

It must be a small amount of countries making that gain in population because we are barely at replacement level for the US.

CaptainMusky

This is accurate and a massive lawsuit was settled because of it with a few of the major players in the industry that control the bulk of the meat processing in this country – JBS, Smithfield, and Tyson to be specific.

And I believe the vast majority of those companies are owned by the Chinese. At least I recall reading that a while back but dont know if it was debunked or not.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

While the global population has grown significantly in the last 100+ years, people all around the world have never been healthier and wealthier. All the overpopulation fear mongering has been debunked time and time again since Thomas Malthus made his global food shortage predictions in the 1700s. Guys like Paul Ehrlich have been preaching this to the media for 50+ years, and he’s still considered an “expert” despite constantly being proven wrong.

“The battle to feed all of humanity is over. In the 1970s hundreds of millions of people will starve to death in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now.”

– Paul Ehrlich, 1968

Attachments:
    1. 911653E1-B4C7-4664-BBE1-62DC2D8CFE58.jpeg

jimmysiewert

But it was the Haber-Bosch process (mass production of fertilizer) that artificially altered the earth’s natural carrying capacity.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

But it was the Haber-Bosch process (mass production of fertilizer) that artificially altered the earth’s natural carrying capacity.

Innovation is cool, especially when it allows food production to keep up with exponential population growth.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Not when it is non-sustainable.

Just keep passing the info down the family line. No more breeding. We have to stop population growth.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jimmysiewert wrote:</div>
    Not when it is non-sustainable.

Just keep passing the info down the family line. No more breeding. We have to stop population growth.

Only some should.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

And I believe the vast majority of those companies are owned by the Chinese. At least I recall reading that a while back but dont know if it was debunked or not.

I don’t know on that one.

JBS also recently settled a lawsuit with the Dept of Labor for employing minors during their overnight sanitation shift at a massive beef plant in Grand Island, Nebraska. They contract their sanitation through a private company so they claimed they didn’t know they had 13 year olds working for 9 hours and then trying to go to school during the day. Yeah right.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It must be a small amount of countries making that gain in population because we are barely at replacement level for the US.

It is. They are in southeast Asia. They’re also the world’s biggest polluters. Too many people, not enough resources or infrastructure. I believe that India just passed China for the world’s most populous country. I hear its lovely over there right now because its monsoon season. jester

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

not quite yet gim

1 China 1,439,323,776
    2 India 1,380,004,385
    3 United States 331,002,651

Gitchi Gummi

highly recommend getting in with a local farmer/butcher to get a side of beef or pork. It’s not often you are able to both decrease your overall cost and increase your food quality at the same time. No to mention the numerous trips to the store you don’t have to do. Walk to the freezer and decide whats for dinner each day.

I never realized how questionable grocery store beef looks until I purchased my first quarter of beef. Always a plus to know exactly where your food is coming from.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

not quite yet gim

1 China 1,439,323,776
    2 India 1,380,004,385

Its not like any country has a way to get real accurate #’s. My guess is that China and India #’s are more off than most other countries.

JEREMY
    BP

Seems crowded here already. Cant imagine adding a billion more poeple

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

not quite yet gim

1 China 1,439,323,776
    2 India 1,380,004,385

Regardless of who is 1, and who is 2, there is a very sizable gap to number 3.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

how long ago was it when you were a kid? 30-40 years?

This is the problem with using our memories to try to draw conclusions about inflation and prices. Our memories tend to be very incomplete and inaccurate.

Also, we tend not to make accurate comparisons against the level of income at the time. Whether or not something like, say, a gallon of gas was “cheaper” or “more expensive” in the past depends on what you were making as much as the actual price.

My father bought a 1967 Pontiac GTO brand new in the spring of 1967, he ordered one from the Pontiac dealer the first day they were available.

Needless to say, the 400 CI fed by a 4 barrel carb and hitched to a 3 speed Hurst was a little thirsty. He often got the comments, “Who cares? Gas was what, like $.35 a gallon?”

Yes, the average price of premium gas (which the GTO required due to compression knock) was $.35-38 a gallon back then. Cheap, right? Well…

Now for the other side of the equation: He was only making about $8,000 a year back then.

So adjusted for both product and wage inflation, gas was costing him as much THEN as it does NOW in real terms. It wasn’t cheaper at all.

BTW, to answer your question, no, unfortunately, he does NOT still have the 67 GTO. He sold it in 1969 and bought another, which he did not like as much, and traded that one in 1970 on a LeMans.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.