Itchy Dog after swimming

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My golden is itching a lot after swimming. Shes in and out of the water costantly and when she’s dry she’s itching. I assume the hard water is drying out her skin just like when I fish a lot and my hands are constantly wet/dry. Just started once she started swimming a lot. Would adding fish oil to her diet help? Only use it on weekends? Anyone experience this or treat itchy or dry skin dogs?

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

Any supplement with Vitamin A,D,E and zinc. They often have omega 3 and 6 too

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

It is a little early but if the supplement does not help, could be swimmer’s itch

Alittlefishy

Is it just general dry skin or have you noticed your dog scratching near the ears? My dogs swims a lot as well and her ears get irritated after a long weekend. After cleaning her ears a few days her condition improves.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I would think it’s more something in the water (algae) that is irritating her skin than dry skin. Fish oil won’t harm anything, but I think you’d have to use it daily, and the recommended dose is pretty high for dogs. Have you tried rinsing her with fresh water after being in the lake?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good clean flowing water. Im sure its the constant in an out. Does it too my hands when fishing there. Hard water. Already much less itching today. I am giving her the rest of our fish oil pills since doctors now say its not good for your heart. Human hearts! )

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

If your dog is about 60 lbs, the recommended dose is about 3500 mg/day.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If your dog is about 60 lbs, the recommended dose is about 3500 mg/day.

Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.