It time!

• The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Headed to Kansas deer hunting! looking for that Kansas giant

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Good luck Scratcher. I have never hunted out of state, Kansas would be on the list.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Don’t scratch your gun!

Good luck!

Gitchi Gummi

awesome, good luck scratcher. did it take you a couple years to get the preference points needed to draw a tag or were you able to get it over the counter?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m very interested in doing the same thing. Make sure you do a write up afterwards. Until then I’m very jealous

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

1st time I tried got drawn, group has been coming here 15 years

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m very interested in doing the same thing. Make sure you do a write up afterwards. Until then I’m very jealous

x2!!!

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Well Kansas went well for the new guy! He bagged a 145 4/8 s 13 pt 10 minutes after we got onto state land.had 2tines broke off other than that the Kansas locals were not that nice to the out of state guys, we hunt state ground around a reservoir and they don’t like out of staters obviously. Long story short is I don’t think I will go back due to the harassment we took from local hunters. Was checked by dnr both Saturday and Sunday. 2 of us left 3 days early

Houdini

Scratcher, sorry to hear about treatment from the locals. I bowhunted KS 5x in the last ten years. We were fortunate to hunt mostly private ground. Some of the landowners just wanted deer shot for destroying crops. We even had to shoot does before being allowed to kill a buck. We did encounter some locals who didn’t like non-res hunters. I heard about hunters having stands removed or damaged on private land where they had permission. KS had big deer but with land being leased up and outfitters popping up all over it’s all changed. I may get slammed for saying this but it’s like Iowa where the locals know they have probably the best deer hunting anywhere and want to limit non-res access. No offense to IA landowners.

Brittman

We did very well on wild turkeys some 20 years ago or so. We saw pheasants, prairie chickens, and quail on our adventure. Saw much and never saw another hunter – weekday hunting. It has changed!

If I remember correctly, Kansas did not allow nonresident hunters to hunt deer some 30 years ago or so.

Kansas is on the very low side of the amount of public land available to hunters even with their WIHA program.

Kansas has changed much in the past 20 years. Rampant leasing (mainly for deer) has limited more of the resident hunting access to that very limited amount of public land. If I am outfitter charging $5K+ for whitetails, I am likely not inclined to allow residents to hunt birds let alone deer.

Add in a huge influx of NR waterfowlers and you can see the problem unfold.

Brittman

Nonresidents are leasing IA deer land at an alarming rate.

MX1825

Scratcher does KS have a hunter harassment law? Turn the A holes in.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

They seem to protect them

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.