ISO Spring bobber rod

• tim hurley

The one I am looking for has the spring bobber in-line with the tip of the rod, one guide is turned so the line feeds with less resistance. When a fish takes the bait the spring meets the tip and you set the hook, the rigidity of the main rod goes right into the hookset. Would love to show you a pic but the one my friend had was stolen out of my garage, I cannot find the rod or even a picture online. I may have one made but if you have one sitting around I would buy it. Thanks

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I think I have one like that on my wall. I will try to remember to take a picture of it tonight. Judging by the handle I would guess the one I have is from the 1960.

tim hurley

Spring bobbers in 1960?! Ok,send a pic. Thinking more like 1990-1999.
    Thanks

Ripjiggen

I have several st croix I would be willing to part with. One still in the original tube.

Bob Bowman
    MN

I have a few of these. Easy application with some gorilla glue.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20221220-165612_Samsung-Internet.jpg

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Sounds like the same set up as schooley rods use. Which would be a spring bobber like Bob Bowman posted.

tim hurley

Nice Bob, that’s the exact bobber-maybe being fussy but would like it built into the rod with the one guide turned-but Gorilla glue is plan B. Might be interested in the St. Croix for me, thanks Rip.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

To me what you are describing is something like this. Where the spring bobber is before the last guide. My guess is that this rod is from the 1960’s because of the reel seat and handle. And yes it has an inline reel on it. Spring bobbers and inline reels for ice fishing is not a new concept. It would be nice to find the real date and manufacture.

Attachments:
    1. 20221221_071748-scaled.jpg

2. 20221221_071753-scaled.jpg

3. 20221221_071741-scaled.jpg

Tlazer

I had received an email earlier this year from Thorne Bros. They have a new rod out called “tripwire” that has a spring bobber attached to the rod. Not sure if this is what you are looking for. They have two models of spring boomers (tripwire) that can be added to their rods. The rods aren’t cheap being a custom rod. On their website use the search function and type in tripwire.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Nice Bob, that’s the exact bobber-maybe being fussy but would like it built into the rod with the one guide turned-but Gorilla glue is plan B. Might be interested in the St. Croix for me, thanks Rip.

Don’t do gorilla glue. Just some fishing line and ladies clear coat nail polish

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Please don’t use Gorilla glue Tim. Bring it over to my shop and I will put some flexible rod epoxy on it.

Buffalo Fishhead

Spring bobbers are easy to make and getting them mounted on your ice rods is not all that difficult. I have posted a link that, for the most part, explains how to do it.

The person in the link used nails to roll the wire, I used a drill bit and it worked well. The “secret” is to find the proper size drill bit so the wrapped wire fits snugly into the rubber grommet.

https://www.nefga.org/forum/fishing-and-hunting/nebraska-fishing-forum/nebraska-ice-fishing-forum/43604-diy-st-croix-style-strike-indicator-spring

I have been using these “home-made” spring bobbers for several years and I like them.

Buffalo Fishhead

Ripjiggen

I used to love spring bobber rods. Now that I have nice homemade rods that are pretty damn sensative I can’t stand them. Have 3-4 st croix that sit in the rod rack now.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Tim, you can attach one of these exact spring bobbers directly to any rod by sliding a shrink tube over the last eye, heating it up while aligning it with the eye. Once the shrink tube is tight, a couple drops of loctite will hold that thing on the rod for years. What I’ve found works best is using a needle nose or hemostat to stretch a tighter shrink tube slowly wider until it slides over the eye. They shrink down much better than the thicker wider shrink tubes. Only word of caution is to slowly heat up the tube as certain tip eyes will rotate or if you go way over the top you would melt the rod tip altogether. But overall its really simple and a lot less bulky than the rubber clip on options IMO.

Another thought for a spring bobber that is more sensitive and doesn’t freeze as often as the metal version you are referring to. Take the coil bobber you can find at fleet farm, unscrew the coil spring, grab a 5mm or 4mm colored bead, loctite it onto the tip of said coil spring, then take some heavy mono line (30 lb or so) and cut it into a small U-shape, slide that in the eye of the bead, add a bit more loctite and you have a perfect spring bobber complete with a tip that will not collect nearly as much ice as the metal. Affix to any rod using the shrink tube method as mentioned above a you have a sensitive panfish catching machine.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I used to love spring bobber rods. Now that I have nice homemade rods that are pretty damn sensative I can’t stand them. Have 3-4 st croix that sit in the rod rack now.

Exact same for me. I still carry one when I’m panfishing, but it never gets used

tim hurley

So is Loctite better than G. Glue?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So is Loctite better than G. Glue?

No do it the right way. Wrap it with line and clear coat over it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Exact same for me. I still carry one when I’m panfishing, but it never gets used

Both Ripjiggen and Bearcat. If you are looking to get rid of those rods with spring bobbers rather than not use them. Reach out to me and let me know what you have and how much $ you want for them. I’m the total opposite as both of you. Once I started fishing quality spring bobber rods my High $ custom noodle rods don’t get much use as all. I now mainly use them when fishing spoons or small rippin raps

tim hurley

‘ladies nail polish’ right Bear? Loctite is for hacks!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

‘ladies nail polish’ right Bear? Loctite is for hacks!

Never said that. Clear coat nail polish cures like a epoxy and most people have it in the house if you have a lady living with you.
    Loctite does not. But go ahead and do as you will, was trying to give you good advice.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Fishthumper I know I have 3 st croix primers ( blue rods) that all have spring bobbers. I just have to check sizes and I’ll give them to you. No need for payment. I won’t use them. They are all in good shape.

tim hurley

Thanks Bear-just shootin’ you some sh**. Getting boring around here might have to play cards (that means I’m pretty bored)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.