ISO 270 Winchester Ammo

• Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I’m not a huge rifle hunter. I just picked up a new Savage axis 270 Winchester, because the price was right. I have a planned Black bear hunt this fall, and am looking for a 150 grain nosler accu bond or something simular. I do understand that the 270 is on the light side to take a bear down, but from my research it will do the job. looking to sight it in for 300-400 yards max.
    Any who… Just seeing if anyone has a box or 2 in the area that they would be willing to sell? Or if anyone has recommendations on different available ammo choices.
    Thanks for your time

ajw

ammoseek.com

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Sorry im no help finding ammo.
    A .270 is a perfect black bear caliber though. I wouldn’t consider it on the light side at all. I’ve killed 3 bears with a .243 and have never had an issue. Accuracy is what matters.

tswoboda

Rogers Sporting Goods has 150 gr partitions in stock.

CaptainMusky

270 has been a bit easier to find lately, but I still have issues finding 243. Most stores I have been to have 270 in stock.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

Thanks for the info so far everyone. Any thoughts on Accu Bond vs. Partition

tswoboda

Thanks for the info so far everyone. Any thoughts on Accu Bond vs. Partition

Accubonds are marketed as an upgrade for better long distance accuracy – like 500+ yard stuff

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Fleet Farm in St Cloud has a few options now for .270 As does Scheels. Federal, Barnes, and Browning loads. Should be the same across the state as they all get the same ammo deliveries. Not the same wide selection from years back, but it’s enough to make a good choice.
    I’m waiting to see any Hornady Superformance show up for .270 and .243 as that’s what I like to shoot. Been 2 years since I’ve seen any.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I know the ballistic coefficient isn’t as great on the Partition but unless you are poking at 900 yard bears, I would go with the Partition. I used to roll 180 grain Accubonds in my 30-06 and found that even with whitetail, I was getting jacket separation. YMMV, but I’m one to think if it ain’t broke don’t fix it and the Partition is the king of hunting bullets. I was looking at monos, like the Barnes, but I have yet to find a reason to change. Good luck with your bear hunt, I don’t think your 270 will have any problem, you could probably get by with a 130 grain bullet even. 150 grain bullets are often used in a 270 for elk with great success.

ajw

accubombs perform nearly the same as ballistic tips in my limited experience with them. Definitely very killy but they can/do blow up on impact

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I appreciate everyone’s feed back. I ended up going with 150 grain Partitions. I don’t ever plan on shooting over 400 yards with this set up.
    Thanks everyone

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Good luck with your hunt Jeff, and make sure to post some pics! toast

duh queen

Forgive me for asking what might be obvious to us northerners, but 300-400yds isn’t bear hunting territory. Bears are woodland critters and rarely spend a lot of daylight time in areas where a 300-400yd shots are the norm. I’d be looking to sight in around 100yds. This being your first bear, with the requisite adrenaline rush, the last thing you need to worry about is your aimpoint. Personally, I don’t know anyone (and I know dozens) who has harvested a bear at more than 70yds, let alone 100. Bears are tough. I doubt you want to be following a animal, in the dark, wounded by a high shot.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Well I was just providing feedback on a bullet. I am aware that black bear hunting is done usually above a bait pile at 50 yards, but the OP wanted to know what would be a good bullet. I don’t think 400 yards is a likely shot, same as deer hunting in Iowa, however it was close shots I took with my 30-06 where I really noticed bullet failure with Accubonds, so I recommended Partitons. As far as bear hunting, I would probably bring my 35 Remington, 45/70 or my old 1894 in 30-30, but my answers again were based off the OP’s rifle.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I will be hunting in the BWCA and will need to get creative. shots across burned areas, and lots of rock faces and outcroppings. 400-500 yards is very realistic.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I will be hunting in the BWCA and will need to get creative. shots across burned areas, and lots of rock faces and outcroppings. 400-500 yards is very realistic.

I think this sounds like fun, the reason I never went bear hunting was because it looked so boring. On the hunting shows, they’d squirt chocolate sauce on top of a barrel of marshmallows, and of course the bear would come in. I always joked with my wife that would be the easiest way to get me as well jester

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

Steven I feel the same way. its more of an adventure hunt with fishing mixed in. The last and only time I went we brought bows and didn’t see a bear. my buddy has taken a few with rifle. Also, this time we got a motorized permit, so little to no paddling for this GUY! we are bringing a canoe to portage into other lakes though.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That’s pretty BA, I’ll be hunting bear for the first time this year and am planning to do it with my crossbow over bait.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.