Isle Royale 9/9-9/11

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Got back yesterday from another voyage to the isle. This time, finally, I decided to camp. That island is so beautiful up close. I’d consider staying there just to hike the island. I’d probably get the shakes not being able to troll though.

The forecast called for wind, wind and more wind with pockets of calm weather for long distance travel. Sounds like this has been the forecast for the past month or so.

Got out on Friday, checked in and got out fishing by 4:30 pm. Broke in the new downriggers by getting the one hit on each. First one got off but the other was a 5# coho. The rest of the evening we managed a few small lakers, 2 big coho and one big King. Water temps were 63, everywhere.

Saturday woke up to rain which ended by about 9 and got out fishing by 10:30. Tough day with a 15-25 mph NW wind. Fished the SE end of the island out of the wind and struggled all day. Highlights were a 33″ laker and another 5-6# coho which we dragged with the board for who knows how long. Odd the board didn’t show that a 6# salmon was on. Water temp was 62, again, everywhere.

Sunday woke up to a forecast calling for the dreaded SW wind and a small craft advisory. We headed out into open water with the intent to fish unless the wind said otherwise. Well, the wind was talking loud and clear. 3-4′ waves we knew would build to 4-6′ if we decided to fish. We headed back to fish the Grand Portage area before pulling the boat out of the water. Caught a couple smaller lakers and decided to pack out by 2. Got to battle a couple 8′ waves when we turned the corner. Good thing it was only a couple hundred yards of that.

Overall a successful trip with the big salmon. Wished for more and bigger lakers but I’m guessing that the moderate water temps the lakers were widely scattered. Hoping for another trip sometime later in October.

Attachments:
    1. image-29.jpeg

2. image-28.jpeg

CBMN
    North Metro

Nice report Matt.

Glad the new gear and camping work out for you.

flanders51

Nice report. Thanks.

I am thinking about making an October trip with my dad. However, I am confused. I thought the Lake Trout season in Minnesota ended on September 30? Am I missing something?

Timmy

Nice report. Thanks.

I am thinking about making an October trip with my dad. However, I am confused. I thought the Lake Trout season in Minnesota ended on September 30? Am I missing something?

The Isle is not in MN waters.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>flanders51 wrote:</div>
    Nice report. Thanks.

The Isle is not in MN waters.

Michigan I believe.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Yes, it is Michigan waters. Lake trout have a continuous season there.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I wanted to add that most fish were caught between 25-60′ down. Depth didn’t seem to matter but we did mark many schools of baitfish ove 40-55′. Nothing seemed to want to bite up there though.

flanders51

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.