ISLE ROYALE

• rubberduck
    east bethel

Hey y’all,
    My buddy and I are making the run to Isle Royale memorial weekend. I am looking for any tips on do’s or don’ts. We will have 2 motors on a 25ft Bayliner with cuddy and Staying on the boat. Jigging and trolling will be the tactics.Ive been told most fish will be deep, do you think any fish will shoe up shallow by then? Less than 100 ft?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

on a 25ft Bayliner with cutty…

In order not to blow your nautical street cred, you should know that it’s not a cutty. It’s a cuddy.

Unless you’re referring to the Cutty Sark, which was a heck of a boat, but her ability to put salmon and trout on the deck was strictly limited. She sure could bring in the tea, though.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I would start shallow, like stick baits and j plugs on planer boards ran just deep enough to not snag bottom.
    Pick bays and sun exposed shorelines, even sand bottoms like in siskowette Bay where creeks feed in.
    If that didn’t pay after a good honest try only then would I go deep.

rubberduck
    east bethel

Yep…….I feel a little bit smaller… thank you for the correction. I should have known better lol

rubberduck
    east bethel

Great advise thank you!

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Can’t have a dog, in your boat, within 5 miles of the island.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t have a ton of experience in the early season like that but I know you can find lake trout from the surface down to 250’. You’ll have to try it all to find the best fishing. If you mark fish in 20-40’ I’d try casting jigs for them. Otherwise any fish you mark in 40’+ you can target with any tactic you want. The best jigging could be in 200’ or it can be in 30’. You’ll just have to figure that out. Never go there with a specific plan and expect to stick to it.

I’m not 100% sure but I think you may find some steelhead out there around then too. You’ll be targeting the surface mainly for them and could be close to shore to miles out on reefs.

For advice, do not throw fish guts off the dock. I was accused of it the last time I was there by the park rangers after the some others staying at the same dock threw all their guts off the dock. Since the other boats staying at this dock didn’t have that dock on their itinerary, I was accused of it. I never got the ticket but be aware they will track you down if you do. Read the rules and follow all of them. They don’t give boaters any leeway on the rules.

Timmy

X2 on biggils advice. Keep your campsite ship-shape. Proper garbage storage, clean site, no fish guts by camp, etc. I have had very few issues over the years, but it is very apparent that boaters are not loved.

Dont be afraid to troll shallow… we have taken fish over very shallow water early in the season.

slough

Why is that?

Iowaboy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gizmoguy wrote:</div>

Why is that?

To prevent the spread of canine diseases

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

To protect the wolves on the island.

rubberduck
    east bethel

Thanks Biggill. Definitely going in blind. But the suspense is half the fun. I’m pretty sure we will dock the boat but sleep on the boat(with heat)

Iowaboy1 it’s a national park and they have pretty strict rules/regs. Prob get a ticket if I fart into the wind.

slough

To prevent the spread of canine diseases
    [/quote]

waytogo

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

X2 on biggils advice. Keep your campsite ship-shape. Proper garbage storage, clean site, no fish guts by camp, etc. I have had very few issues over the years, but it is very apparent that boaters are not loved.

Yup, good advice. I got an ear full one time for leaving a closed jar of peanut butter out on top of a cooler while we were out fishing. All you can do is smile, nod, and say “yes sir, my bad, won’t happen again” at all the appropriate times. I always go overboard with keeping a clean camp but that one slipped past me.

The worst tear down I’ve ever witnessed was aimed at a boater that had spilled a small amount of fuel into the water while topping off their boat’s tank while tied to a dock from cans that had brought along on the trip. That particular ranger let the boater have it to a level where I felt uncomfortable as a spectator and walked away. My understanding is fines for spilling fuel in any amount are pretty substantial.

Overall I think the rules are generally pretty reasonable given the goal is to keep a very special place as pristine as possible.

Enjoy your trip. If I can offer one tip it will be to dress like you’re going ice fishing even if the air temps are very mild. Water temps at that time of year will be very cold yet and it will surprise you how cold it can feel when the wind kicks up and you start taking a little spray from the waves.

rubberduck
    east bethel

Thanks James.. I know peanut butter can get people into some sticky situations rotflol .

rubberduck
    east bethel

Thanks James.. I know peanut butter can get people into some sticky situations rotflol . And I absolutely plan on bringing my winter gear for sure!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

As much as I’d love to give out fishing spots and general fishing areas, all it would do is cause you to drive past vast areas of other good fishing that I don’t know about. You can find fish literally anywhere out there, just not everywhere at the same time, if that makes any sense. Just keep your eyes peeled and pay attention to your electronics.

I spoke to a Ranger one time and he told me that while I was there was the first time that year he hadn’t caught lake trout off the dock.

Oh, and use your side imaging to get a sense of what the bottom layout looks like. The reefs there run from sw to ne so if you use your side imaging you can sometimes see a reef coming before you are actually on top of it. Trolling can be challenging when the depth can go from 250’ to 10’ in 20 yards without any warning whatsoever.

rubberduck
    east bethel

Copy that. Thank you

Just hoping that we don’t have to shovel snow off the back of the boat……

Timmy

One item i always bring is binocs to take advantage of looking at moose. Pack a small tent – just in case…. If you get to a destination and the shelters are full, a rent can save the trip.

I try to have a backup plan for the big issues that can arise…..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.