Is This Normal Behavior?

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Can’t keep the wax melted if you don’t 🔥 both ends

Attachments:
    1. 51300A84-FEDC-4CA8-ABB5-3CC18EF1E9C2.jpeg

Karry Kyllo

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Karry Kyllo wrote:</div>
    Looking back on it now, I was foolish because I spent many hours in a boat that were absolutely miserable.

But if you didn’t go then, would you regret it now? I know I would….

-J.

I wouldn’t trade the experiences I’ve had in a boat for anything but I don’t really know what drove me to fish as obsessively as I did at that point in my life.

Leftysrconfused

Definitely not normal lol. I would however fish every single day of my life if I could afford it. Far from normal behavior haha.
    I was a light sleeper since I was 2 years old, just so dad couldn’t slip out on me, and thats a fact lol.
    Anyone ever pull the “oh I just had a bite, we have to stay longer” trick? make sure to rip the minner off the hook for effect once in a while. Grew up in the bottom of a boat, not the greatest sleep with walleye goo running everywhere!!

Its crazy how the miserable fishing times are sometimes what made me stay longer. Sometimes days on end till it clicked and then it was game over, we quit once we finally beat up on the fish a bit. Come back another day and give the fish a chance. Good topic.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I haven’t seen to many normal things here ever. lol

shefland
    Walker

you work too much grin

BrianF

I’m a multi-species angler and try to take what the water is giving up on any given day. However, years ago, I was on a musky bender, fishing solo in northern MN late in the fall trying to put myself in position to catch something really special. It was early November. It was cold. Darkness had set in. It was lightly raining. I was casting a big bulldawg into the inky blackness with not another soul around, alone in my thoughts and my passionate pursuit.

Then it hit me. Not a fish, but the realization that ‘this is crazy’…this is absolutely crazy…not to mention a fair bit dangerous. Even though I was dressed for the elements and was warm and had plenty of energy and desire, I packed it in and went back to the cabin for fear I had lost my grip on reasonable behavior. It pays to check yourself sometimes.

Thanks all for the feedback and the reality check.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I am glad to see I am not the only passionate one out there. I see some replies form people in this thread that I need to meet up with and fish with. I would be happy to join you one day Brian. Sometimes crazy pays. Other times it just gives you a good story. toast

Umy
    South Metro

Time on this planet, in this form, is short.
    I go whenever I can too.
    Only 64 times this year from, opener on Rainy to yesterday when IO put the boat away to wait for hard water.
    Catching fish is secondary, don’t care necessarily what kind they are either – tug on the end of the line.
    That being said, being out is the reason, just like duck hunting in the fall. Sitting in the blind, watching the lights come on, the pheasants cackling, the deer walking through the field….. LOVE mother nature and just being here. Follow your passion.
    Moments like this when you come down, moon in the sky, fog on the water, 6:30 am and all alone in the world for that moment – pretty special

Attachments:
    1. Tom-Canada-9-2022-3-scaled.jpg

Slipbob nick

Don’t give a crap about what people think. I personally feel being very passionate about something as long as it’s not a destructive habit is the key to happiness in life. My interest have varied from sports at a younger age, to hunting and fishing after high school, putting everything into a career, to running, coaching the kids, and now skiing. Whenever someone says your nuts I take it as a compliment. The guy who is nuts about fishing, hunting, skiing, lifting, scrabble, etc… is probably enjoying themselves more than the guy that does it every now and then.

For sleep a guy will have plenty of time to rest when they are dead.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

For sleep a guy will have plenty of time to rest when they are dead.

Attachments:
    1. Cofee.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’m a multi-species angler and try to take what the water is giving up on any given day. However, years ago, I was on a musky bender, fishing solo in northern MN late in the fall trying to put myself in position to catch something really special. It was early November. It was cold. Darkness had set in. It was lightly raining. I was casting a big bulldawg into the inky blackness with not another soul around, alone in my thoughts and my passionate pursuit.

Then it hit me. Not a fish, but the realization that ‘this is crazy’…this is absolutely crazy…not to mention a fair bit dangerous. Even though I was dressed for the elements and was warm and had plenty of energy and desire, I packed it in and went back to the cabin for fear I had lost my grip on reasonable behavior. It pays to check yourself sometimes.

Thanks all for the feedback and the reality check.

While I like my sleep more than you I can relate some.

While fishing the Mississippi within 30 minutes of a metro I often thought about what the heck all them peoples are missing out on that I’m the only one out here. Made me think I’m definitely different and I’m completely OK with that!

I’ve enjoyed your insights and deep thinking on fishing fella and know that thought comes from lots of hours by yourself with your brain running. Some feel lost without company. Independence means you can be alone but not be lonely!

stout93
    Becker MN

To each their own, but you couldn’t pay me enough to keep that type of schedule.

I’m perfectly content today to sit on the couch and watch college football all day and night. Got 2 pork butts going on the pellet grill, will start boozing at 4:30 or so. Will get about 9 hours of sleep tonight.

That’s a perfect fall Saturday for me…

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I like your thinking.
    Sittin up at the cabin, just put the pontoon away and in a couple hours I’ll head to the bar for the annual gun raffle.
    I may soak a shiner off the dock after. Depends on how cold it gets tonight.

Attachments:
    1. 12288A3A-28C6-4C27-8EC9-272C1CC72D5D-scaled.jpeg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

you could be doing worse things than spending time in the outdoors. you probably paid a pile of money for your hobby so got to get your moneys worth right? my wife seems to be mad whenever i go fishing and i confronted her. she also rolled her eyes when she found out how much i spent on my boat and additional accessories. but in the end she sees how much i enjoy it so do what makes you happy but take care of your family obligations too. family, fishing and forgiveness. i rarely get a day of guilt free fishing. sometimes she gets mad if i go and other times she’s mad i sit at home. you just can’t win so you do you!

Umy
    South Metro

Amen
    EPG , pic looks great

Netguy
    Minnetonka

If you can handle that schedule/pace more power to ya. The long drives in the dark alone (most of the time for me) are getting tougher. If someone else is along, then they’re not so bad. I find if I get enough sleep the early morning drives are easier. I’m not fishing/hunting as much as I thought I would after I retired but I’m doing more things I didn’t do when most of my free time when I was working was hunting/fishing.

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.