Is the Helix 7 work well for ice fishing?

• seedmanp

I bought for Xmas a Helix 7 si/gps that also came with Nav-+ already in it. Wanted to upgrade 2-10yr old Hummingbirds on my boat. I understand that you can buy a ice pak and ice ducer-pctu-2 to use on ice. Would be great to use the “7” year around if this works. With the cost of the ice gear nearing $300.00 has anyone out there using this setup? I have a 20yr old Marcum LX-1 that I use now,or should I just save the cash and buy a new ice flasher.

seedmanp

Gee either I posted this wrong or there isn’t many using the 7 for ice fishing. Which is what I wanted to find out.

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

I am in the same boat as you right now. I have a Lowrance Elite 7 and want to rig it to a Genz Pack so I have access to GPS right there but not really sure on how to wire it up and everything. I think there are some good youtube videos out there.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Well Seedmanp there is a lot of information about this online. Your limitations are going to be fishing next to another person. The 7 is really not set up to get away from interference. Not impossible but will give you some issues with crabby partners. Other than that I am just waiting for the gen 2 to be sold in a ice pack and its mine….

seedmanp

Yes I have seen some of these. You mention the interference problem, I have also seen some are having problem with the cord next to the transducer coming apart also. I get a lot of good information here and just thought I would ask here if anyone had experience with the setup. Will the 2nd Gen deal better with interference problem?

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

I would guess not… I think the Helix units are still a softwater application to most.

Dave M

I put a Helix 7 DI/GPS into a portable Genz-pack with a Humminbird soft case. Ordered an iceducer. XI 9/19. The interference issue seems to be the biggest problem. The setup for ice fishing mode is fairly straight forward per the website. Disable the demo mode. Enable the ice fishing mode. Set the depth source to 2D. Use the manual depth feature. Set the sensitivity way down. The unit has difficulty working past 30 feet. Any Marcum in the area creates trouble.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.