Is one Talon or PowerPole Enough

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have been looking at both of these products for my 18 ft bass boat. My question is as the title states, is one of these anchors good enough or do you really need two? I understand with one you will get some spin just like you would with having one traditional anchor out. However you would stay in the general area much better. Do any of you have just one Talon or PP and if you do, does it work for you or do you want to add another?

Dave maze
    Isanti

I have one. It is great, but you will spin. If you can handle that you will save about 2k. I would add another if I had room.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I have 1 power pole on my 2060. While bass fishing, 2 would be the best obviously. Now as in Spin, it doesn’t mean you will sit and pin in circles. the bow of the bow tends to eventually settle with the wind stay pretty still.

I am personally fine with 1 when I bass fish. Also if you walleye fish or fish deeper water, the power pole has its advantages. Put a drift paddle on and you will slow your drift down. I use mine more for pulling spinners in rough water more than anything.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

What does a Talon actually weigh? I’d probably consider a 10′ or 12′ model…but have always been hesitant about throwing that weight on the back of a 17′ boat

Do you use them when you dock? (Drop the boat, put down the talon a couple feet from the dock, come back and not deal with ropes or bumpers)

404 ERROR
    MN

Do you use them when you dock?

I saw a guy try to use 1 on a shallow wingdam once…it was quite entertaining and I think I could hear the pole hit the rocks as the current swept the boat downstream into the next wingdam.

munchy
    NULL

What does a Talon actually weigh? I’d probably consider a 10′ or 12′ model…but have always been hesitant about throwing that weight on the back of a 17′ boat

Do you use them when you dock? (Drop the boat, put down the talon a couple feet from the dock, come back and not deal with ropes or bumpers)

A talon weighs about 30lbs.
    You certainly can use them to dock for a short time(overnight), but long term they would kill the battery as they do use power when down to adjust for conditions and just be unnecessary wear on the units. I’ve heard of people using them overnight with no issues though. Also heard people tie up normally and also use the Talon to keep the boat away from the dock to keep dock rash down. But like I said I don’t think long term (daily) use would be good for the unit.

blank

I know its not exactly the same, but why not spend roughly the same amount on a new Minn Kota motor with the new spot-lock?

munchy
    NULL

I know its not exactly the same, but why not spend roughly the same amount on a new Minn Kota motor with the new spot-lock?

That’s my future plan. However I tend to fish a little deeper where it would work great. I don’t think spot lock would work very good in heavy cover.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I run one talon on my 621 holds fine but you will spin in the wind. Use it to tie up to docks. Shore beaching. Overnight for two week in Florida no issues. Just shut master power off. In saltwater canal so no waves. The wind will just spin you backwards but then never moves.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

That is what I am deciding between. Didn’t want to mention the ipilot option because then all the responses would’ve been “get the ipilot” and my original question wouldn’t get many answers.

I probably will end up going with an terrova or ultrex but that is going to be about a 2 year plan most likely. The wife would not be happy if I came home with a $2500 trolling motor with a 1 month old at home! chased rotflol

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>blank wrote:</div>

That’s my future plan. However I tend to fish a little deeper where it would work great. I don’t think spot lock would work very good in heavy cover.

Yeah, I hear ya. Thats why I said it’s not exactly the same. All the products have their +/- and purpose.

So people really use a shallow water anchor for docking overnight?! Interesting. When the question about docking was asked, I was assuming docking for when you go get the truck and back the trailer in.

TripleA
    Blaine

I have 1 talon. Works great. Wind will push the bow but you can simply balance with the trolling motor. Harder when wind is blowing into the shallows as you wont want to be pounding the trolling motor as the wake will be pushing into your fishing target area.

2 is best obviously. On an 18ft you would be fine.

I got a 12ft for $1500 new online.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.