Is My Setup Good Enough For Bigger Pike and Maybe Even Muskie?

• Alex Weismann

Hello!

I posted a thread similar to this, but this one is more dedicated to talking about one setup.

Anyways, I have a 7’6” Medium Heavy Fate rod from 13Fishing paired with a Shimano SLX and absolutely love it. I’m a big bass fisherman and that is usually what I base all of my rod and reel combos on when getting new ones, but this time, I wanted something slightly bigger. (I’m usually a 7’2” max kinda guy).

When buying this rod, I wanted something that could be for fish that are bigger than bass, specifically pike and Muskie if possible. (I know I messed up with the MH part, but it was all that was available at the time, and I did still plan on using it for bass occasionally as well).

I’ve been using it for a couple weeks now, throwing fairly big bucktails and big spinner baits for pike, and it’s been performing very well, but I’ve also only been catching pike up to 24inches. The line I’ve been using is 17lb fluorocarbon with heavy metal leaders. I don’t usually use fluorocarbon, but I wanted to try something different because I knew I’d be using this rod for moving baits.

Anyways, my question is: Will this setup be able to catch pike and Muskie up to 35-maybe 40 inches? I know that I’ll have to switch to heavy braid most likely, but I’m more worried about the rod breaking on a big fish.

Let me know if this setup has absolutely no shot at being big enough for these fish and if I have to get a rod and reel that is specifically made for big fish. I’ve just read so many different opinions saying things like, “Yeah, that setup will totally work for those bigger fish.” and then others saying, “Absolutely not, the rod will snap instantly.”

I’m new to Muskie and pike fishing, at least in this fashion. (Casting for them). So any help at all is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I have the same answer when I see this question. Can that setup throw the baits you want to throw? How heavy are the baits and figure out the setup.

As for a rod snapping on a fish, you can set the drag on the reel accordingly. That rod is listed at 1/4-5/8oz. I wouldn’t worry about casting baits up to 1oz. Where I would worry is when you get to musky baits getting 2oz or bigger. At some point the lure will snap the rod or it will just suck to haul in bucktails as lures or blades get bigger.

My fishing partner and I have been using 6’6″ to 7′ MH rods very simi4lar to yours for many years. Somwewhere in the Rainy Lake forum you’ll see 40″ pike and one 46″ musky. That will handle any fish you catch, don’t worry about it.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Alex – I just saw your other thread on a musky rod. Having been in your shoes here’s where I what I’ve done. This way you can have a two rod setup.

In addition to what you have buy a pure musky rod and reel. You’ll be in the 8’6″ neighborhood. The extra length is needed for figure 8’s. There are endless debates on what’s the right reel and rod. Thorne is more than awesome but not everyone has that budget. St. Croix Mojo or Tackle Industries work well too. Maybe in a Heavy action. That can still work down to Showgirls but start getting into rubber like Bulldogs. MH is also an option but not sure about 8oz class rubber baits, I’ll defer to someone else.

For reels you can start with an Abu 6500 but spend more to get something durable enough for the big baits. Don’t need a Tranx 500 but there is a middle ground between these two examples. Tranx 400, Lexa 400, Calcuttas, Fishthumper has an active thread on another couple going right now, etc.

Then you have primary and secondary setup. Musky you lead with your musky rod but you can still use your 7’6″ lighter rod for smaller options like Mepps bucktails or Baby Girls

Pike you have your 7’6″ lighter rod as the primary. Then if you need to throw big baits, go to your musky rod.

Alex Weismann

Hey Pat – thanks so much for the advice. I think that this is probably the most helpful comment I’ve had yet.

You touched on every question I had, and really helped me out here. The two rod concept is such an obvious, yet super helpful idea taht I just hadn’t thought of because of many reasons.

Thanks for all of the equipment recommendations as well. I was planning on getting an 8’6” if anything because something as long as 9’ just seemed like a little too much for me 😂

It’s also really good to know that the Tranx isn’t the only reel options either. I’ve been leaning towards something like a Shimano Compre 8’6” Heavy as my rod of choice. Any thoughts on that? I’ll have to do some more research on the reels though, even though the Tranx might be the way to go. (Buy once cry once).

My last thing is line. I’ve heard that 80lb PowerPro is kind of the base line that you should use for these bigger fish, but what are your thoughts on that? I’m using 17lb Fluorocarbon with heavy steel leaders and it’s been great for the pike that I’ve caught so far, but they have only been up to 24 inches or so.

That’s pretty much it though. Thanks again for reaching out. You helped more than you know!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.