is cutting the cord worth it anymore?

• Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Fubo, YoutubeTV and Hulu+ are all pretty similar. Fubo is about $10 a month more last I checked. Fubo you get Bally for now anyway, who knows where that is going to end up.

on Amazon! i can’t wait.
    the $190/year that Bally’s wanted for their streaming was crazy-talk.

Brittman

We pay $25/month for Verizon 5G white box. You have to be in a good Verizon 5G zone, but I actually saw improved performance over Comcast cable.

Our house has A LOT of conference calls with simultaneous video streaming and gaming. I actually attached the Verizon box to our wireless router … no password changes and it worked well.

Further you can ethernet cable to devices to further enhance speed and reduce wireless “overload/clutter”. I have ethernet connected one TV and the whole basement gaming area (with splitter). Flawless performance.

We went FUBO (for now) because of Baily’s. FUBO is a bit more cumbersome than Comcast cable … but it works good enough and on ALL TVs with wireless capability vs. just the ones you paid to have a Comcast box attached to.

Total internet/cable/streaming bill went down about $100/month.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Free = ads. It ain’t worth it.

Haha I was just telling my FW last night how spoiled our kids are, they get pissed when they have to watch a commercial they can’t skip! When I was a kid I was pissed when a storm came thru and the antenna wouldn’t work on the 3 channels we got. rotflol

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Free = ads. It ain’t worth it.

not with a firestick and certain applications. these “apps” are out there and they don’t always work and aren’t always HD but they are 100% ad free, on demand and work 90% of the time bruh. toast

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

not with a firestick and certain applications. these “apps” are out there and they don’t always work and aren’t always HD but they are 100% ad free, on demand and work 90% of the time bruh. toast

when a guy walks into Fleet Farm, puts a Jiggin’ Rap in his pocket, and walks out the door everyone loses their damn minds about how he’s a POS thief.

but when a guy uses “certain applications” to stream “100% ad free, on demand, and work 90% of the time bruh” this is just a thing people do?

strange times.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

its no secret Mike. Remember the black boxes in every other household on TV’s that would descramble? Remember those hundreds of thousands of college kids that downloaded MP3’s on Napster which was the equivalent of recording your friends cassette tapes as a kid but “deemed” illegal because it was through the internet? How did that change the landscape of the music industry? It’s a digital world these days and you either get with it or get left in the dust.

It should be a crime to charge people $200 a month and monopolize a region for garbage cable channels and internet but people keep paying it so it is OK. I pay for a few of the legit streaming services just because they work as they should most of the time and are great for live sports. I will take my chances watching free content and trapping minnows where I might need a permit……..Lock me up!

J Jensen

Silly question. If you cut the cord you save money.
    If you cut the cord and sign up for streaming you are just falling into another monthly recurring charge.

It has been decades since I had cable. Don’t miss it. No streaming either.

However, I was totally pissed about the Kansas City game streaming on Peacock. If the NFL continues with exclusive steaming then the NFL will be as popular as professional boxing, which ain’t much.

Deuces

However, I was totally pissed about the Kansas City game streaming on Peacock. If the NFL continues with exclusive steaming then the NFL will be as popular as professional boxing, which ain’t much.

I’d imagine the suits at the streaming services are experimenting with these type of deals, if it makes sense in dollars they’ll keep at it, if it hurts you bet ur butt they’ll change it. Peacock is $6 month, I’d imagine alot of folks payed the equivalent of half a 5 guys burger to watch it.

Between YouTube TV and Amazon I got all the football I needed this year.

Feel for the fellas who watch all sports, that whole ballys and vpn things make my head hurt

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Silly question. If you cut the cord you save money.
    If you cut the cord and sign up for streaming you are just falling into another monthly recurring charge.

It has been decades since I had cable. Don’t miss it. No streaming either.

So back in the day you had to order cable and they gave you 5 channels that you enjoyed and 150 more that were hot garbage but you had to pay $100 plus. Now you can pay $6 a month and watch all the NFL Sunday night games and then some extra too plus you can cancel anytime you want with the flick of your finger and people are appalled! Streaming is the future and has been for like a decade. You can always get a 200 foot antenna and get free channels. I’ll pay for my ONE streaming service for 5 months for a grand total of $30! So to answer your question…..

$100 for cable or dish or $6 for a streaming service……tough choice.

There is also this new technology that lets you “cast” from your phone! And a lot of that is free too!

What a time to be alive!

Deuces

Have my fair share of old limewire/Napster tracks, thought the FBI was gonna break in my backdoor everytime I did it too. Never lied to myself thinking it wasn’t stealing.

Can’t imagine being a grown adult doing the same thing. I’ll work and pay for it like most everyone else.

Cal
    Savage, MN USA!!!

We were finally able to get rid of Comcast/Xfinity when our neighborhood got MetroNet Fiber, which has been fine, a few buffering issues occasionally but not really better or worse than Xfinity was, but cheaper.

I thought fiber basically eliminated bandwidth problems? Any idea why you experience buffering problems?

Reef W

I thought fiber basically eliminated bandwidth problems? Any idea why you experience buffering problems?

End to end is what matters and stuff rarely stays on one ISP the whole way, pretty much never when it’s a regional. Easiest analogy of the internet is a bunch of road/highway systems and where they peer together is an intersection. 1gb fiber at your house is a 10 lane highway bbetween your house and some local ISP hub. Say that ISP has 10 customers, they probably don’t have 100 lanes to the wider internet because not everybody uses it all at the same time. Different things will also need to route through different ISPs and each of those interchanges has a certain capacity that could cause an issue.

Ok, this is getting long but in short 4k video streaming is about 15-30Mb/s maximum depending on the compression algorithm used, usually less as it varies because some parts are more compressible than others. ISPs saying you need some super fast internet connection to stream is marketing BS.

Cal
    Savage, MN USA!!!

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cal wrote:</div>

End to end is what matters and stuff rarely stays on one ISP the whole way, pretty much never when it’s a regional. Easiest analogy of the internet is a bunch of road/highway systems and where they peer together is an intersection. 1gb fiber at your house is a 10 lane highway bbetween your house and some local ISP hub. Say that ISP has 10 customers, they probably don’t have 100 lanes to the wider internet because not everybody uses it all at the same time. Different things will also need to route through different ISPs and each of those interchanges has a certain capacity that could cause an issue.

Ok, this is getting long but in short 4k video streaming is about 15-30Mb/s maximum depending on the compression algorithm used, usually less as it varies because some parts are more compressible than others. ISPs saying you need some super fast internet connection to stream is marketing BS.

Thanks. Naturally, it was more complex than I thought. smirk

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

If you are TV person maybe it isn’t worth it. I don’t care about sports. Never did but once they went anti-American I absolutely was not a fan. We don’t really watch TV and movies. We “cut the cord” about 8 years ago. Once Hulu and Netflix started jacking prices, they lost our support. The wife has Amazon Prime for shipping reasons, so she does have those streaming services but we have those for reasons other than just the streaming. I can get local news by streaming from their websites. Youtube has a lot of the content I’m looking for when I’m willing to sit down and watch something, so…….. And it’s free.

Viewing 16 posts - 61 through 76 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.