Is 65 degrees a turning point for fall crappies?

• tim hurley

Already thinking about fall, love it, even November. Talked to a guide who fishes docks for crappies, he catches a lot on the floating ones and regular ones too, he insists that the bite switches off when temps drop to 65. I get that the dock bite does not happen everywhere, other lakes fish might be using weeds but maybe that same shift happens where they school up deeper-I know that pattern but have never attached a temp to it. Thanks

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Are you asking a question or telling us a answer ?

tim hurley

Just wanting to know if 65 is a temp that crappies pull out of weeds and start to school up.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Temp is usually one of a multitude of reasons for fish to move seasonally. A lot of people want to just look at water temp but time of year, available sunlight, bait types on a particular lake, other structure, etc all play a role. There was a discussion in the Walleye/Sauger forum that talks about this if I can find it I’ll link it.

I fish a pattern on the river that is loosely related to water temp for when crappies start to move and school. The pattern also involves overall flow, water levels, bait movement, time of day, etc.

So, my answer would no…..too simplistic but perhaps directional for crappie movement on the bodies of water he guides.

tim hurley

Thanks Matt, great reply. I do get into this a bit in the spring with the spawn which BTW also happens around 65-Temperature can just be a nice starting point for when you can start looking for a pattern to develope, so you say that you fish a pattern on the river that is loosely related to temp. ok-what is that temp? You do this on the river so you are also looking at levels and flow. Thanks

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Two things temp related…below 70 degrees or a big influx of cooler water.

Those things, along with certain structure and current/flow has been a pattern 3 out of the last 4 years.

What I haven’t figured out is what turns it off and where they go as we get deeper into fall.

tim hurley

Thanks Matt, they do keep things interesting, I would say in a lake the next transition would be at turnover.

tim hurley

Not 65 yet-they were so scattered yesterday-fished docks and did well but the cast had to be perfect.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Not 65 yet-they were so scattered yesterday-fished docks and did well but the cast had to be perfect.

I’ve been finding tons of crappies. But no where near docks and in groups but scattered groups. Lots of schooled up pan fish

tim hurley

Scattered again today except the ones by docks, singles, doubles maybe but that is all I would find-caught a bunch so can’t complain too much.

tim hurley

Has anyone been out recently? What are temps?

Dave maze
    Isanti

Was that on lake 1, 2, or 3?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Was that on lake 1, 2, or 3?

We could guess by how the weather was today

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

68 degrees by me

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It was back to 70 71 Saturday and Sunday

Netguy
    Minnetonka

70 on Tonka yesterday.

tim hurley

Thanks, looks like temps are holding for now. 80 for air temps this wknd.

tim hurley

Might be there by next weekend, saw a lot of 67/68 today.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I saw 67/68 and the crappies were getting schooled up. They were schooled up more Saturday than Sunday.

duh queen

Tim,
    In following your posts/questions one thought comes to mind. “There’s no substitute for experience”. The best thing one can do is do it. All the data and all the advice(good or bad) won’t do you any good unless you just get out there and build your own personal data base. Happy hooking !

tim hurley

I need to get out there more-Wow tell my wife. I like to find my own pattern also like to see what others are noticing. Some couldn’t give a rat’s a** what other people think, that’s fine and they are not on this forum.
    I’m in my 50’s have been fishing since I was about 4, currently fish 12 months a year once a week, 2 or 3 times a week in the summer, my boat will be out there breaking ice in November.

duh queen

You misunderstood me, my thin skinned friend. My point was that there’s nothing magical about water temps…..especially surface temps in the fall. The fish will still be packing in the forage. Too many folks seem to believe that if they fish with this color, or that lure, or at a certain time/temp/moon phase that they’ll catch more fish. All the time ignoring what’s really going on under their nose and taking that into account. A wise man once told me “you can have 20 year’s of experience……or you can have 1 year’s experience 20 times.”

tim hurley

Water temp. is a starting point to start looking at other stuff, water temp. this time of year and in the spring is powerful and not analogous to ‘lure color’. Not the only thing, not ‘magic,’ makes the sport interesting. One reason I like crappies is they are easy to fillet compared to ‘gills, they must be thin skinned laugh

duh queen

No argument here on the gills. I’ve caught many a 13-incher but haven’t killed a gill in at least 25 years. Bones are too hard and the fillets too small to warrant the extra effort. On the water temp thing, you do know that that’s only the surface temp, right? go down a foot or two and it’s a whole different word…depending on the strength and duration of the previous day’s winds. If your really interested in scoring crappies midday, fish the shaded sides of structure.

Ntau Yang

Already thinking about fall, love it, even November. Talked to a guide who fishes docks for crappies, he catches a lot on the floating ones and regular ones too, he insists that the bite switches off when temps drop to 65. I get that the dock bite does not happen everywhere, other lakes fish might be using weeds but maybe that same shift happens where they school up deeper-I know that pattern but have never attached a temp to it. Thanks

It Depends on the Lake and where your fishing but in lakes I’ve fished some don’t start transitioning until mid to late November but yeah fish real slow and small

Ripjiggen

No argument here on the gills. I’ve caught many a 13-incher but haven’t killed a gill in at least 25 years. Bones are too hard and the fillets too small to warrant the extra effort. On the water temp thing, you do know that that’s only the surface temp, right? go down a foot or two and it’s a whole different word…depending on the strength and duration of the previous day’s winds. If your really interested in scoring crappies midday, fish the shaded sides of structure.

Give me a gill over a crappie any day.
    I disagree on the cleaning portion as well.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dee J Anders wrote:</div>

Give me a gill over a <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappie any day.
    I disagree on the cleaning portion as well.

I agree with ripjig on this one

tim hurley

Anyone want to disagree with me on the spelling of my name? jester

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.