Inline / StraightLine issues

• Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

So I have three inline reels, Frabill 371, No8 Tackle CGI and a Eagle Claw. I seem to have alot of issues with essentially backlash (just like with a baitcast reel where the spool spins faster than the line is going out) or coiling weird around and/or off the spool…

If I set the tension on tight enough on the spool to prevent the backlash it wont drop light lures and also creates resistance on the retrieve…

The 371 has 75 yards of 3# flouro, am I just putting on too much line or am I doing something else wrong, starting to think about going back to spinning reels, they seemed to be less hassle.

rico13gt

So I have three inline reels, Frabill 371, No8 Tackle CGI and a Eagle Claw. I seem to have alot of issues with essentially backlash (just like with a baitcast reel where the spool spins faster than the line is going out) or coiling weird around and/or off the spool…

If I set the tension on tight enough on the spool to prevent the backlash it wont drop light lures and also creates resistance on the retrieve…

The 371 has 75 yards of 3# flouro, am I just putting on too much line or am I doing something else wrong, starting to think about going back to spinning reels, they seemed to be less hassle.

I have the cgi as well and it’s a fine line between the perfect amount of tension to possible backlash. I use my hand to stop the drop then turn the reel to lock it in. I like mine but it is different than spinning. Not sure I would get another but I do enjoy using it because the lure does get down the water column faster imo.

Kevin Quinn

I really like my inlines because of eliminating line twists. I have the setting the lightest and just use my pinky finger to regulate speed while I pistol grip.

competitor
    South central, mn

I also really like my Frabill. I too use my finger to slow down the fall if needed and prevent the loops or backlash. This is really important when it is windy. The only other pain is when you get some ice on the eyes of your rod. I just use my finger on the reel and pull out line or have to get rid of the ice. Same for a spinning reel in that case anyway.

Buckeye86
    Inactive

I recently bought the new fiblink inline ice reel and it has a very smooth free fall and haven’t had any backlashes. One thing that I’ve noticed and not too impressed with inlines is that they do still create some line twist.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

have an eagle claw inline reel. when I bought it worked good then I messed with it now press the release button and nothing happens have to pull the line out by hand. don’t mind it when fishing shallow though better than lure spinning round and round.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I really like my inlines because of eliminating line twists. I have the setting the lightest and just use my pinky finger to regulate speed while I pistol grip.

This. I do the same thing Kevin does, set it to the lightest and let her rip! You just have to pay attention to it!

Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

Thanks for the info, I will play with the 371 some more, after doing more searches I may have too much line on it also. It seemed to behave better after I removed about 10 yards off of it on Wednesday due to a massive knot.

Also found that if I wasn’t wearing gloves I could control the reel using my pinky or ring finger. But when it was -10 out I had to keep gloves on, might have to swap reels to a spinner for those times.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.