Inline ice reels and kids

• hoytpower
    buffalo county, wi

Never used this style combo but my 6 year old thinks there cool and wants one. Are they ok for kids to use or is this the equivalent of letting him use my baitcaster and spend all day picking snarls out of the line. Looking at one of the fifty buck combos at fleet farm. 13 fishjng snitch or a frabil

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you fish shallow then no biggie my son uses mine and he was 6 last season. Deeper water I take it from him

curleytail

I think it depends on the ability of your 6 year old, how you use it, and possibly where you fish.

If in a shack with no wind blowing around it would help. It you set the free spool tight enough so it doesn’t backlash easily it will help. If you set the tension light and your kid is patient enough to let the jig free fall it would probably work.

Basically, if you set the free spool very light, and grab hold of the line, give it a big pull and don’t have a finger on the spool, you’ll end up with a ratted up birds nest. If you don’t do that, they aren’t hard to use.

Probably boils down to how familiar your kid is with fishing, reels, light line, and taking and following direction. Could certainly be done I would say.

Tucker

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.