Info Wanted on Happy Troller Plate

• Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

My uncle has a 30hp Mercury on a 16 foot Lund. We need to get the trolling speed down. Right now the lowest speed he can get is somewhere around 2.5 mph.

Does anyone have experience with the happy troller plate on a comparable motor/boat? How much did it reduce your speed? Would you recommend it? Thanks in advance.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Does he have a bow mount trolling motor? If so just put it in the water and it will slow him down a few tenths. Turn it sideways will do a bit more. If thats still not enough turn it backwards and run in slow and increase speed to achieve the speed you want.

If he does not have a bow mount using 2 1×6 or 2×6 and c clamps can do the trick. Basically making poor mans trim tabs. Clamp each board to the transom so there is say 6″ below the bottom hull. fasten lower for a slower speed.

Just 2 thoughts to try prior to spending money.
    There is always drift socks too but Im not a fan of trolling them in a smaller boat, especially tiller. They tend to take a lot of control away and want to steer for you in directions you didn’t want to go, at least in my findings.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

5gal pail. Tie them off to a cleat with a 4′ or so lead. I have two of them in the boat at all times. If it works on my 20′ boat with a 225hp motor, it will work for you.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

5gal pail. Tie them off to a cleat with a 4′ or so lead. I have two of them in the boat at all times. If it works on my 20′ boat with a 225hp motor, it will work for you.

Make sure to add a rope going to bottom of bucket for easier retrieval, makes for a great way to keep the boat from swaying in current as well!

Hilltopper
    LaCrosse, WI

I had the trolling plate. I put it on and gave it a try for a summer. I did not care for it. I went with the buckets for the last 3 years. Simple, easy and cheap.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Ran a bucket on a boat I had years ago. Ran the 5 gallon bucket off the bow eye and let it run up under the hull. Never got in the way of landing fish. Just don’t forget its there when its time to take off.

-J.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Using the bucket could you explain how you rig it. Do you remove the handle and use line to make a harness? Do you put holes in the bottom, add anything to make it track better etc.?

Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

Great ideas. Thanks guys. I figured I’d be enlightened.

I think the bucket technique may work for him. Does it affect steering much? There’s no front trolling motor.

Like hjnacht asked, what are some of the modifications, if any, that you make to the bucket?

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Tie it to the handle, if you forget and take off the handle will pull out and the bucket will float. Simply go back and pick it up and reinstall the wire handle. You most likely will have to bend it back into form so have some pliers handy. You will not loose any steering control using buckets as you do using a drift sock or a trolling plate. I don’t have holes in the bottom of the bucket because I use them for minnows, leeches and other things. You don’t have to modify the bucket in any way. I run mine off of the two front cleats with about a 4′ to 5′ lead. Pulling the bucket out is simple also, just tip out backwards and let the water run out. If your boat has bench seats and no cleats on the gunwale maybe you can tie off to a seat support? Don’t waist your money on a trolling plate. 1/4″ parachute cord works just fine as a tether

Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

Tie it to the handle, if you forget and take off the handle will pull out and the bucket will float. Simply go back and pick it up and reinstall the wire handle. You most likely will have to bend it back into form so have some pliers handy. You will not loose any steering control using buckets as you do using a drift sock or a trolling plate. I don’t have holes in the bottom of the bucket because I use them for minnows, leeches and other things. You don’t have to modify the bucket in any way. I run mine off of the two front cleats with about a 4′ to 5′ lead. Pulling the bucket out is simple also, just tip out backwards and let the water run out. If your boat has bench seats and no cleats on the gunwale maybe you can tie off to a seat support? Don’t waist your money on a trolling plate. 1/4″ parachute cord works just fine as a tether

Thanks a lot for the help. I look forward to trying this.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.