Inflatable pfd

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Looking at getting 3 inflatable pfds in my boat, but I’m not sure what’s the best route to go. Not really trying to break the bank but I do want something dependable and easy to get the refills. Found these last night on that West marine site. Any one have input on these. Looks like they use Leland refill cartridges.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240314_211539_Chrome-1.jpg

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Mustang MIT 100 Auto/Manual- I believe Mustang Survival has a number of inflatables marked down right now.
    I have had a few of these for a number of years.

A bit more in cost- the Elite 28 hydrostatic series is nice as well.

Cody Meyers

One important thing to note about the inflatable PFDs is that most of them say on there that they only count as a valid PFD recognized by the coast guard (and DNR enforcement) if they are being worn. We got checked twice in redwing last year and they read them all. So if you want to just keep them in the boat to save on space most of them do not count and you can still get a life jacket ticket.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

One important thing to note about the inflatable PFDs is that most of them say on there that they only count as a valid PFD recognized by the coast guard (and DNR enforcement) if they are being worn. We got checked twice in redwing last year and they read them all. So if you want to just keep them in the boat to save on space most of them do not count and you can still get a life jacket ticket.

I want them to get in the practice of wearing them. I will still keep my regular jackets in the boat for when I’m not wearing one.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I did the same exact thing. I bought x3 from the dumpster that is Cabelas when they went on sale for $79. It’s their most basic model but the fit is fine and they’re light weight.

I have to get better at wearing mine and being an example for the people I take out fishing. I also have to get better at wearing one when fishing by myself.

Gitchi Gummi

can’t comment on that particular brand (I wear Onyx) but these style lifejackets are so minimal and easy to wear, you really don’t have an excuse not to wear them. You don’t even notice they’re there. Put it on at the landing and by the time your line is wet, you will forget you’re wearing it.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve been wearing the Onyx brand automatic inflatables. I’ve tested them and they work. They are one of the brands that doesn’t require them to be worn. I wear them 100% of the time on superior but when I get on lakes in the summer they are rarely worn. It’s a nice option to have when you just want to relax I the boat and don’t want to carry a bunch of extra life jackets to stay compliant.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

General question: What’s the point of an inflatable if your not wearing it?

Gitchi Gummi

bingo!

one conversation that has stuck with me over the years is when I was talking to a guy who volunteered for St Louis County Search and Rescue. He said he’s been part of dozens of search/rescue operations over the years and he’s never seen one body pulled from the water that was wearing a LJ. Every recovery mission he was a part of, the person wasn’t wearing a LJ.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

What’s the point of any life jacket if you’re not wearing it?

In the summer I often take it off to cool down and relax and sometimes go swimming. Its a little difficult to wear and inflatable while swimming.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I’ve been wearing the Onyx brand automatic inflatables. I’ve tested them and they work. They are one of the brands that doesn’t require them to be worn

How can you tell if it does or does not have to be worn. I believe mine are Onyx brand also.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

How can you tell if it does or does not have to be worn. I believe mine are Onyx brand also.

It will be written in the text on the life jacket. Brands that need to be worn will actually say something to the affect “must be worn to comply with USCG regulations”. If it is missing that sort of language, it is exempt.

I think it only applies to the Onyx automatic models. The M and A/M models must be worn.

deertracker

One thing I saw when reading the regs recently is that inflatables are only coast guard approved for people 16 years old and older. I did not know that.
    DT

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

It will be written in the text on the life jacket. Brands that need to be worn will actually say something to the affect “must be worn to comply with USCG regulations”. If it is missing that sort of language, it is exempt.

I think it only applies to the Onyx automatic models. The M and A/M models must be worn.

Thanks. Mine is a auto manual it has a rip cord on it. I thought all of them had a manual way to deploy it if it didn’t work on its own.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The Auto has a rip cord too. I don’t even want to speculate the differences between the A/M and the A model, but I believe they received different USCG certification.

If there’s one difference it might be that the A model has a window to inspect the button status. I don’t think this makes any difference whether or not it must be worn to be legal, its simply one difference between the models.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

One thing I saw when reading the regs recently is that inflatables are only coast guard approved for people 16 years old and older. I did not know that.
    DT

That’s correct. It should also be written on the jacket as well.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If there’s one difference it might be that the A model has a window to inspect the button status. I don’t think this makes any difference whether or not it must be worn to be legal, its simply one difference between the models.

Mine has the window on it so I will have to read what it says.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

What’s the point of any wearable pfd if you’re not wearing it?

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I have this one and its only $99 Think I bought it on sale for $79.
    One thing to look at is the cost and availability of the recharge kit you need to replace every 2 years.

Bass Pro Shops AM24 Auto/Manual Inflatable Life Vest
    $99.99

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I did the same exact thing. I bought x3 from the dumpster that is Cabelas when they went on sale for $79. It’s their most basic model but the fit is fine and they’re light weight.

I started by buying a Cabelas model for my dad because at his age, he would not be able to get back in his boat were he to go in the water. I did have to get rather tough with him about the rule now being just frippin’ wear it all the time.

Well, it then occurred to me that if it’s a good idea, it’s a good idea. So I got one as well. Just so much easier and more comfortable that the inflatable just took away all my excuses for not wearing one.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Have 2 onyx paid under a 100.00 apiece

Stanley

I have a couple inflatables and there have been many times I forgot I was wearing one until I got in my truck at the landing. One is a bass pro the other onyx. Both are auto/manual.

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

I can’t give you a review on my Onyx as, fortunately for me, it’s never deployed. I can tell you it’s comfortable enough. I have replaced the cartridge as it expired and was easy enough to find and do.

ThunderLund78

I love mine and switching to it has led me to always have it on when in the boat. I didn’t always do it with a regular one. When at the cabin, sometimes it just stays on all day as im on and off the water – really don’t notice it too much. I want to get one for my sons now that they’re older but still being young and invincible like I was.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So I guess my question is, the one in the picture above is on sale for 100 bucks down from 220. Is this a nice life vest ?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

No experience with the one in question but it looks a lot like a rebranded Onyx jacket.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I mean if this Guy looks good in it, it must be good…LOL

Attachments:
    1. 18440032_2_1500.15112021093014.jpg

zooks

Scheels usually has their branded A/M 24 on sale for around $80 during their fishing sale, I’ve picked one up the two last years, will probably do the same this spring as my boy will be big enough for it shortly.

I wear mine constantly when I’m out solo and/or when water temps are under 50 degrees, put it on with the kill cord every time I’m behind the wheel otherwise. Once you get used to it, you don’t even notice and I’d rather be safe then sorry. Good luck with what you decide.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

The Onyx “All Clear” have a clear window to see if it’s been discharged. Those do not need to be worn. I called USCG. Some people were them only when the boat is moving. FWIW I read somewhere that 85% of man-overboards happen when the motor is not running.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.