Inflatable life vest.

• robby
    Quad Cities

Hello all. I am looking to purchase at least one if not more inflatable life vest. I wear 3XL shirts, fat guy. Any recommendations as far as brands, models, deals? Please advise. I appreciate all of your input and experiences.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Mustang, I have several elite 28s , get the belt extender.

Stanley

I just saw at the mills fleet in Baxter they had 30% off all life jackets including inflatables. Might want to check online and see if it’s all the stores or just that one that had them on sale.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Be sure to get the one that will support your weight.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Get into fleet farm asap and check them out. They had a good sale on all their life vests right now. I picked up a new Onyx inflatable to add to the boat for $87 instead of $130!

Ed Mashburn

Good morning to all-
    Good advice given to you so far. the Mustang brand is quite good. and do be sure and get a PFD up to your weight. A slow sink from a too small PFD is better than nothing, but being floated on top is a whole lot better.
    And remember, in most states if you are using an inflatable PFD, you have to wear it at all times- can’t remove it like standard PFDs

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

robby
    Quad Cities

Thank you all. I appreciate your input and experiences.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Good morning to all-
    Good advice given to you so far. the Mustang brand is quite good. and do be sure and get a PFD up to your weight. A slow sink from a too small PFD is better than nothing, but being floated on top is a whole lot better.
    And remember, in most states if you are using an inflatable PFD, you have to wear it at all times- can’t remove it like standard PFDs

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

– USCG rule not by state.
    – There are 2 inflatable types. A: like you say must be worn. B: has a clear window to see if it is armed and ready. Those you don’t have to wear.

I called Onyx and then called the USCG to confirm. Same info from both.

Robby look at these – AM33 has 35# buoyancy. The AM24 has the standard 22.5#.
    https://www.onyxoutdoor.com/a-m-33-all-clear-auto-manual-inflatable-life-jacket—blue/5637521981.p

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Ive noticed that the cabelas brand inflatable vests usually go on sale a few times a year for nearly half off. I imagine coming into fall would be a good time to find some deals. I have a cabelas brand one and its nice

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

– USCG rule not by state.
    – There are 2 inflatable types. A: like you say must be worn. B: has a clear window to see if it is armed and ready. Those you don’t have to wear.

I called Onyx and then called the USCG to confirm. Same info from both.
    Just to make it a bit more muddy…if the manufacturer has “Must be worn” on the tag, it doesn’t matter if it has a window or not. Also, it may have a age or weight limit. (Not for under 16 years old ect.)

Reef W

if the manufacturer has “Must be worn” on the tag, it doesn’t matter if it has a window or not.

I just looked at the Onyx AM24, which has a window, yesterday and it did say “must be worn”. Does anybody know a specific model that doesn’t have to be worn to count in MN?

edit: just looked at it online and don’t see a window… maybe i got them mixed up. Whatever it was had a window but still said “must be worn” on the label.

Reef W

I also just chatted with Mustang support on their website and they said:

“I have checked our Type III inflatable PFDs and do not see any that would be approved when not worn.”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Same with Float Tech’s (out of business) they have a window and a label that states “Must Be Worn”.

The only inflatables I’ve ever seen that do not have to be worn had inherent buoyancy (Foam) in them besides the inflatable portion. I haven’t looked for years though. Lot’s has changed in the last 5 years.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Label or no label, window or no window,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the only PFD that will save your “behind”, is the one you are wearing.

Reef W

Label or no label, window or no window,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the only PFD that will save your “behind”, is the one you are wearing.

Well I’ll die without it on either way, I just don’t want to also get tickets before that happens lol I do think I would actually wear it sometimes if it was an inflatable I’m just not very motivated to buy one if I still have to keep the regular ones in the boat for compliance with the rules.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I just don’t want to also get tickets before that happens

I’ve written this before. Been checked several times with inflatable laying on the floor. No problems. Both DNR and Sheriff, in MN and WI waters.

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I can fix that for you JJ! What pool were you on? )

shefland
    Walker

leech lake warden gave me a warning, my mustang inflatable was on the bench, he said no no

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I’m just not very motivated to buy one if I still have to keep the regular ones in the boat for compliance with the rules.

Just being perfectly honest with my reply;

Once you get in the habit of putting it on BEFORE you start the motor, you will forget you are wearing it. It will become muscle memory, just like buckling your seatbelt.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

And I’ve said this before. I’ve had to call customers on their cells after they have left the launch to come back with my inflatables.

They simply forget they have them on.

There is really no need to have a type 1, 2, or 3 pfd in your boat if using the type V’s inflatables unless you’re a USCG licensed guide.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.