Inflatable Life Preservers

• Al Case

I’m shopping for inflatable life vests, probably automatic ones. The ones I’ve looked at online are Onyx and Cabelas brands. Cabelas has great sales on their top end Cabelas brand vests. My 1st priority is comfort when fishing. For those of you who have them, what brand and model do you use and do you like the one you have?
    Thanks,
    Al

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Shoot BK a PM he is our life vest savant. toast

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

savant. toast

Don`t know what to think using some pretty fancy words for a fishing sight.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    savant. toast

Don`t know what to think using some pretty fancy words for a fishing sight.

Just cuz I can spell it doesn’t mean I know what it means. jester

joc
    Western and Central, NY

What price range? All the ones I’ve looked at > $200 yikes.

Al Case

Good question, joc. The most expensive ones that I’m interested are around $110 on sale at Cabelas and are as much as $160 normally. The ONYX I’ve been looking at are on eBay for as little as $90. I don’t want to spend more than $110, since it seems like I can get a decent PFD for that price. Now, I’m mostly looking for pros, cons and lastly but most importantly for me is comfort.
    Al

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I have the onyx and they are really nice I also have a few cabelas and I go the onyx as they seem to be less noticeable.

Bassn Dan

If you’re looking at auto inflate PFD’s I’d look at the cost to re-arm the different models you’re interested in. I won a Mustang auto inflate PFD – great vest but pricey to re-arm an auto inflate vest and they have to be done every few years.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I understand price, looks & comfort. But lets not forget what they are designed to do…………….keep you alive.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Al
    I have the Cabelas 3500 auto inflate. I forget im wearing them sometimes. Thank fully I have never had to rely on them yet. I also wear ice fishing when riding my SxS

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My boat doesn’t leave the dock without everyone in a PFD.

Some of my customers frown and ask if they have to wear a life jacket. I say “no, but it’s hard to catch a cat from shore”. )

Once they put on a Float Tech, everyone says the same thing. They are the most comfortable PFD they have ever worn. (Two seperate clients had to be called because they left wearing my Float Techs)

The vest can be purchased alone or with the outer liner.

The liner has zip off sleeves and a hood built it, plus it doubles as a rain jacket.

They do not need to be rearmed each year. The water soluble “pill” should be replaced every two years for recreational use. They run about $10. for three.
    If a person needs a rearming kit, I’ve paid $18. to $21 (needed one in a hurry and picked one up at Fleet Farm).

Like any inflatable, they should be checked for leaks. I check them at the beginning of the season and in the middle of the season or if I think one was damaged. (After skidding on my chest across a dock is a good time to check them… don’t ask.)

The biggest complaint I hear about the collar types is that they are uncomfortable around a persons neck. You’ll have to be the judge of that.

Just make sure the PFD you get whether inflatable or not, will turn an unconscious person over to their back.

http://quaticapparel.com/products/inflatable-life-jacket

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

With the outer liner for cool nights.

Without the outer shell.

Attachments:
    1. 35-shovelnose-w-shell.jpg

2. 60-inches-No-Shell.jpg

Jonesy

I am a bigger guy and I wear the collar style and have no issues with it. I went from never wearing a life jacket to wearing one 100% of the time. I have the scheels brand which I am pretty sure is just the onyx brand with scheels name on it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I went from never wearing a life jacket to wearing one 100% of the time.

Then that’s the right PFD.

I forgot to add, personally I don’t care what pfd people use…just use them!

waytogo

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I use an Onyx and really like it. Never used to wear one at all until I went the inflatable route. Now I wear it almost 100% of the time. Every once in a while when I’m in a hurry I forget to put it on, but never have I taken it off because it was uncomfortable.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

They do not need to be rearmed each year. The water soluble “pill” should be replaced every two years for recreational use.

EXACTLY,,,,,,,,, this is the most misunderstood part about an auto inflate vest. Folks seem to think the vest needs “rearmed” when in fact all that needs done is replacing the “pill”.

jarrod holbrook

I have 2 of the cabelas 3500. Get the one with the shoulder suspension, not the straps. They run a sale all the time. I think they’re normally $160, but I think I gave $100 on sale. You forget you are wearing them. Best money spent is to insure that the day ends well when things go wrong

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Saw this today on the Cabelas website:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/bargain-cave/new-this-week/boating-fishing|/pc/105591780/c/105633180/sc/105638580/cabela-s-guidewear-174-3500-auto-pfd/1801515.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D105638580

http://www.cabelas.com/product/bargain-cave/new-this-week/boating-fishing|/pc/105591780/c/105633180/sc/105638580/cabela-s-tournament-3500-auto-pfd/2199462.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D105638580

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I have a Cabela’s 3500 that I use when I’m fishing. I don’t even realize I’m wearing it.

I also have a Mustang auto inflating PFD that I have to wear for work that costs twice what my Cabela’s PFD did. I don’t think the Mustang one is as comfortable.

Al Case

This is the one that interests me the most, because of the mesh back and the price.
    Jared, is the one I linked below what you’re referring to when you said “shoulder suspension”?
    Thanks for all of the input, guys! I appreciate it!
    Al

http://www.cabelas.com/product/bargain-cave/new-this-week/boating-fishing|/pc/105591780/c/105633180/sc/105638580/cabela-s-guidewear-174-3500-auto-pfd/1801515.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D105638580

Al Case

That’s what I’m thinking, Suzuki.
    “Nice looking product. I cant think of a reason not to get it.”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

One thing that’s misleading with the 3500 listed.

The description lead me to believe that it’s CG approved as a Type II pfd.

It is not. Just like any other inflatable, it’s a type V.
    That’s not a deal killer, it just means that it has to be worn to be considered a legal PFD.

Can’t beat that price. Good luck and I’m glad there is one more boater wearing a PFD 100% of the time they’re on the water.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

What?! That was in the bargain cave!!

For that reason, I’m out.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Whenever there are remotely comparable products and one is offered at Cabelas, I get the Cabelas model using my points from my Cabelas visa.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If you fish for long periods of a time, make sure its comfortable – regardless of which you buy. My first Cabelas branded one was a little tight and heavy on the back of my neck. After an 18-20 hour day in the boat, I HATED THE DAM thing. Bought a similar one (cabelas branded) with a slightly different fit around my neck and its very comfortable. 16+ hours in the boat and you forget you have it on

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

What?! That was in the bargain cave!!

For that reason, I’m out.

Brian,

Probably in the bargain cave because of the date on the “pill”. Still a good value but one would expect to replace the “pill” sooner the first time. Then every two years after that.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

If you fish for long periods of a time, make sure its comfortable – regardless of which you buy. My first Cabelas branded one was a little tight and heavy on the back of my neck. After an 18-20 hour day in the boat, I HATED THE DAM thing. Bought a similar one (cabelas branded) with a slightly different fit around my neck and its very comfortable. 16+ hours in the boat and you forget you have it on

Randy…. know what model you ended up with?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

My first Cabelas branded one was a little tight and heavy on the back of my neck.

and that’s the reason the Float Tech’s are so popular. They spread the weight over a persons shoulders.

Here’s Mr. Jeff Huberty talking about his 4 Float Techs…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Brian, how are these sized? I normally wear extra large but very often have a hoodie or something similar on in the morning.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.