?? Increased license $ No hatchery or access $

• big_g
    Isle, MN

Over $600,000 to the U of M to study coyote and foxes, habitat, diet and diseases. doah The U of M really seems to be funded nicely. Guess that’s why Walz, who attended Chadron State college, wears the goldy gopher shirts all the time. shock

Justin Donson

I think I remember reading rumors on this site that the MN-fish guys had ulterior motives from the beginning. It tied back to like bass fishing and zebra mussels on Mille Lacs or something, I can’t remember, maybe someone else can verify.

Are we sure they aren’t really doing something really nefarious with the money everyone sent them?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I think I remember reading rumors on this site that the MN-fish guys had ulterior motives from the beginning. It tied back to like bass fishing and zebra mussels on Mille Lacs or something, I can’t remember, maybe someone else can verify.

Are we sure they aren’t really doing something really nefarious with the money everyone sent them?

They would have more to lose than to gain. They are just doing the DNR card like they use with GLIFWC, no transparency whatsoever.

There will be full disclosure sometime in 2040 or when we get our 17 billion dollar surplus money, whichever comes first. coffee

3Rivers

Is there any solid proof that “rallying the troops” has made a tiny bit of difference? The people in position with the voting power is really the only thing that matters. The MN-FISH thing is a great example. Raise tens of thousands of dollars and have the biggest names in the industry and when it comes down to it, it’s a party line vote…every single time. If you REALLY want to make a difference vote in the people who will commit to furthering your cause. The that’s the first step. The second step is having a majority party power. Unfortunately that’s the only way things get done in Politics. And even then, Quid Pro Quo will still have a major impact.
    I’m to the point in which I think the only way to see favorable changes is to actually be a Rep or Senator and personally have a vote. If not, you might as well pound sand.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Problem is the DNR commish is appointed by the Gov so they will march in step with their wishes. Just the way things work here in the land of taxes and mosquito’s.

I have a theory as to what happened but nobody wants to hear it anyway. In case you haven’t noticed I have very little patience for any of these clowns.

Brad Dimond

What needs to happen is elections need to be based differently than just inner cities/metro areas controlling how the rest of the state functions, which will not be easy or well-received by the party that benefits from this change

Not sure that is feasible or democratic (not in the party sense). The state House districts are population dependent, thus dominated by the metro area. The state Senate is geographic representation, outstate has a voice disproportionate to population.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I continue to want to support MN Fish. Our problem as anglers is that we have never figured out a way to become/grow an organization like Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited or Muskies Inc. Deer, Turkey, Grouse, Goose hunters have found ways to be effective and get what they need. The Bow fishing guys and Darkhouse Assn used grassroots organizing to change regulations in their favor. It’s folks with a shared love and vision for the outdoors.Maybe it isn’t so much what they haven’t been doing for us, rather what we haven’t been doing for them?

Karry Kyllo

As reported in Outdoor News
    There were subtractions from the bill, including $35 million for modernizing boat accesses and $10 million for modernizing fish hatcheries. There also are fee increases for fishing licenses, watercraft registration, and AIS surcharges.

Once again.

Can you post a link for that story? Thanks.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Buzz, you’re connected down there. You must have run across the lobbyist MN-FISH hired. Do you know him? Any ideas what committees he is working? He must be doing something at the direction of MN-FISH.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I subscribe to Outdoor News and pay a subscription. Somewhere I signed up for there MN newsletter that comes as an email

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Mark Holsten is the MN Fish executive director and lobbyist for them.
    Mark served as the Deputy Commissioner of the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) from 2003-2007 before being appointed as Commissioner of the DNR by Governor Pawlenty from 2007 to 2011. Prior to that Mark was elected six times to the Minnesota House of Representatives.

blackbay
    mn

So was the Senate bill changed also? If not maybe they will come to an agreement in a conference committee.

Karry Kyllo

That still leaves $50 million for Fish Hatchery Reconstruction/Betterment and $15 million for modernizing boat accesses. Isn’t that still considered a win for MN anglers if it passes as is? I’d certainly think so.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

That still leaves $50 million for Fish Hatchery Reconstruction/Betterment and $15 million for modernizing boat accesses. Isn’t that still considered a win for MN anglers if it passes as is? I’d certainly think so.

Depends. Are they stealing the whole 17 billion?

The_Bladepuller
    South end

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Umy wrote:</div>
    What needs to happen is elections need to be based differently than just inner cities/metro areas controlling how the rest of the state functions, which will not be easy or well-received by the party that benefits from this change

Not sure that is feasible or democratic (not in the party sense). The state House districts are population dependent, thus dominated by the metro area. The state Senate is geographic representation, outstate has a voice disproportionate to population.

Actually state senate districts are also population proportional. Senate districts are numbers and house districts are a half of a senate district with an A or a B.

The problem is the system is broke. The crazies are running both parties & until there is a change from one or the other we will have what we have.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Karry Kyllo wrote:</div>

Depends. Are they stealing the whole 17 billion?

Kerry, what’s your source?

Karry Kyllo

Who’s stealing anything?

The original bills called for $60 millon for Fish Hatchery Reconstruction/Betterment and $50 million for modernizing boat accesses. The ammended versions cut $10 million from Fish Hatchery and $35 million from modernizing boat accesses. Doesn’t that mean that there is still $50 million for Fish Hatchery Reconstruction/Betterment and $15 million for modernizing boat accesses in the bill after the amendements or is my math wrong?
    Bills like this are almost always amended and are rarely ever passed as they were oriiginally written and although it would be great to get more funding for modernizing boat access, if we can get $50 million for Fish Hatchery Reconstruction/Betterment it would bode well for the future of many of our fisheries.

Brad Dimond

Actually state senate districts are also population proportional. Senate districts are numbers and house districts are a half of a senate district with an A or a B.

The problem is the system is broke. The crazies are running both parties & until there is a change from one or the other we will have what we have.

Thanks for the correction. Absolutely agree that the crazies have control.

Karry Kyllo

If you want to change the system, run for office and start the change.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

As I said before. The DNR commish is appointed. The folks in St. Paul seldom if ever vote against the recommendations of the DNR. You can run but your vote will mean squat.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Am I the only one here that thinks MN is doing an excellent job managing the fisheries?

I fish musky, smallmouth, largemouth, walleye, bluegill, and/or crappie about 100-150 times per year on a $26 license, using the plentiful public accesses that are almost always well maintained. I eat the fish I catch about 25 times a year. I follow the laws, and nobody ever bothers me.

What more are you guys asking for?

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Check this link

Karry Kyllo

Am I the only one here that thinks MN is doing an excellent job managing the fisheries?

I fish musky, smallmouth, largemouth, walleye, bluegill, and/or crappie about 100-150 times per year on a $26 license, using the plentiful public accesses that are almost always well maintained. I eat the fish I catch about 25 times a year. I follow the laws, and nobody ever bothers me.

What more are you guys asking for?

You aren’t the only one.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Karry have you looked at the conference committee activity for HF2310 (2023)
    HF2310/SF2438
    Omnibus environment, natural resources, climate, and energy finance and policy bill.
    Fiscal Tracking Spreadsheets
    House
    Senate

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I continue to want to support MN Fish. Our problem as anglers is that we have never figured out a way to become/grow an organization like Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited or Muskies Inc. Deer, Turkey, Grouse, Goose hunters have found ways to be effective and get what they need. The Bow fishing guys and Darkhouse Assn used grassroots organizing to change regulations in their favor. It’s folks with a shared love and vision for the outdoors.Maybe it isn’t so much what they haven’t been doing for us, rather what we haven’t been doing for them?

This nails it…a vocal minority can make a difference. We see at all the time in politics and especially in this state. I hoped MN Fish would represent better but they obviously aren’t so someone else needs to pickup the mantle.

Fisherman are a fractured group and get very little done outside of the species specific management.

And, this isn’t just a democrat problem. Neither party hasn’t gotten anything done for years.

3Rivers

Mark Holsten is the MN Fish executive director and lobbyist for them.
    Mark served as the Deputy Commissioner of the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) from 2003-2007 before being appointed as Commissioner of the DNR by Governor Pawlenty from 2007 to 2011. Prior to that Mark was elected six times to the Minnesota House of Representatives.

So is he taking a salary for both positions? Seems like a conflict to me. The recent auction brought in just shy of $45,000, which is almost all profit. Don’t let anyone fool ya, these “non profits” are sometimes a great career choice. I just hope that this group can make some real positive changes for anglers, but I’m not holding my breath.

topshotta

You are not alone. When I was a kid, we had no musky lakes in my area, a small number of trout lakes, and little to no slots or special regs. We now have great musky fishing, more trout, and opportunities to catch some really nice pike on slot lakes. The walleye stocking has been improved also. I did a trip with a local guide a couple of years back and I asked him what the fishing was like in the 70s and 80s, and he said the walleye fishing today is better than at any time in the past.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

So is he taking a salary for both positions?

NO but you get points for creativity

3Rivers

So is he taking a salary for both positions?

NO but you get points for creativity

Thanks

Has MN-Fish taken a position on HF2310? I really just detest omnibus bills. So many good initiatives fail because of so few. All it takes is one or two hot button issues for many others to fail.

425 pages in HF2310

The all or nothing thing is a terrible system, but mostly I’ve been following it really close this year because if it passes we finally will get to use 2 lines on the MN River and also P2 and P3 of the Miss. But in order for that to pass, 100 other things also have to pass as well.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

MN-Fish has worked tirelessly to get hatchery and access dollars. I’m trying to find out why it isn’t in the House bill. If I find out I’ll let you know. FYI I emailed Rick Hanson my support of the two line river reg. But he didn’t reply

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.