I'm the King of Obsolete

• cougareye
    Hudson, WI

This is a fun post to read. I grew up on a farm and know how to do much of this stuff on my own except for working on engines. My dad never did that so I never acquired that knowledge. I can do basics, spark plugs, change the oil, battery work, etc.

I do own a chain saw, but it’s neon green and called the “Wild Thing”. But it runs great and cuts great. But when my chain is dull, I take it off and buy a new one. Never been taught how to sharpen. Can I pick this up from Youtube?

Just did a kitchen backsplash watching Youtube. Was fun to do it ourselves. So I dabble in the obsolete and wish I knew how to do more.

Have a great weekend!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

nhamm…seriously? Wow. We’ve got a lot of frogs at our new place, and my 2.5 year old loves them. Want to hire him for frog duty???

What’s funny is my 2 older girls laughed historically when I told them, next week when we are on vacation we are going to load em up with frogs and send it to the 2 pansies, I’ll get no response from them I’m sure but still laugh heartetly.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Your post just leads me to believe you live in a fancy dancy neighborhood where lawn services, repair trucks and the FedEx man are usually on the street. I used to live in one of those too…simply having a socket set was enough to bedazzle some neighbors…and am glad I no longer live there.

While it would be comforting to think that it’s only those “fancy dancy” people that don’t know which end of the hammer is up, it’s not the case. My neighborhood is about as working class (to use an obsolete term) as you can get these days. Our house was built in 1927, we bought it from the original owner and have since totally rennovated and expanded it.

But as the older homeowners get replaced by younger ones, it’s not hard to see the difference in what people do and don’t do themselves.

Grouse

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Love it –

Grouse – we should still connect up North at the hunting land.

I am the same way – and cherish the older ways of doing things while embracing technology when it makes sense.

It is always good to get back to basics and keep things simple

Taking time to appreciate the simple things makes life rewarding. Take some effort these days.

Dog

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

@GrouseDog. PM me again. Would love to set up lunch or something to compare notes and hear about your property.

We’ve made some progress on my property this year despite the hellish wet weather in May/June. I have a feeling I’m going to be doing a lot of work in September/October, however.

Grouse

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Send me a PM

” I just friend requested you ”

scott

LenH
    Wisconsin

I sometimes pee in my backyard just because I can. Does that count for anything?

me too.

Attachments:
    1. avatar.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I sometimes pee in my backyard just because I can.

I sometimes pee in your backyard, too!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>

Pug is going to have to bolt a buttwipe holder and a magazine rack full of Auto Traders to a tree in his back yard if this keeps up. Sooner or later somebody’s going to have to do something besides a #1.

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>

You owe me for grass seed.

Old fisher
    NULL

When ever I said to my Dad I don’t know how, he would say You will never learn any younger. That’s how I learned to do things my self. Thanks Dad.

Old fisher
    NULL

Doesn’t everyone pee in the back yard?

CJ

I was raised in the country but now live in a nice neighborhood in town. Every night I take the dog out before bed and pee in the back yard. Alot of nights I catch myself staring up into the sky at the stars like I used to as a kid. I miss the country.

deertracker

Yes! It is kind of like peeing in the shower. Everyone does it but nobody admits it. -)
    DT

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Old fisher wrote:</div>

Yes! It is kind of like peeing in the shower. Everyone does it but nobody admits it. -)
    DT

Didn’t you just kind of admit to both right there?

Grouse

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I pee outside because I’m working on something and the house is too far away. When I’m in the house my music comes from a turntable and large vinyl discs called albums, my vehicles have radios. I raise and preserve most of my own food. My tractor is a 53 ford jubilee and I don’t think its sexy. I was obsolete 30 years ago now I am archaic.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Best part of peeing in the back yard is not having to clean up the misses and drips. Also, no seat to remember to put down.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

OK, another one to add here. Just thought of this one last night.

Mrs. Grouse and I didn’t know the gender of either of our children before birth. We both had our reasons, I can’t know or even speculate because of a cultural tradition that says that to do so brings down 21 years of bad luck. The specificity of that number, 21, always made it especially worrisome to me. Like not just two decades of bad luck, but 21 years.

Mrs. Grouse, on the other hand, just didn’t see any reason to know. It’s one of the last great surprises in this world, why spoil it? So went her reasoning.

We didn’t think it was that big of a deal, but after having person after person ask if it was a boy or a girl and then seeing the absolutely thunderstruck look in their face when we said we didn’t know and wouldn’t be finding out until delivery…

We didn’t think it was that big of a deal, but let me tell you… In this day/age it seemed like we had just told people we were jetting off to the planet Zog to give birth or something.

Even more strange was that some people would try to talk us into it. The reaction of some people bordered on outrage. They would invent “practical reasons” why we HAD to find out. Like there was some kind of health risk associated with not knowing the baby’s gender.

How will you know what color to pain the baby’s room? We painted it apple green, works for both.

What about people who want to get you gifts? Isn’t it impolite to NOT tell them boy or girl? Ummm, maybe put a hold on the shopping expedition until baby is born and then we’ll all know?

You won’t be able to pick out names! The child will be nameless for months afterward because you didn’t know which gender. Ummm, yeah, we just get to pick out one for each. Then we sit back and wait. Not a problem.

In fairness, some people told us it was really cool not to find out and one couple even told us later that we inspired them not to find out on any of the 3 children they had. But they too reported the same reactions.

My obsolesce is really hard on some people. Mrs. Grouse is kinda that way too, but she’s much hipper about it than I am.

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I would think a baby’s gender would be more fun as a surprise so I am with you on that topic. Don’t count your chickens before they are hatched and don’t buy all your baby clothes and items before its born.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Best part of peeing in the back yard is not having to clean up the misses and drips. Also, no seat to remember to put down.

At the cabin I go outside even when I don’t want to in order to not flush the toilet and run the pump.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

A classic. Glimpse of the future?

-J.

Viewing 22 posts - 61 through 82 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.