Illinois River Sauger

• glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Just wanted to let some of you that venture down here to the Illinois River know that we’re high and muddy. The river is supposed to be 22.5 by monday. We’ve had an outstanding bite the last 2-3 weeks. With the last week having alot of bigger Saugers showing up. Jigging,3-waying with live-bait and pulling with Rapala’s have all been producing. We were out yesterday and the water came up over 8 inches from launching at 9:30 till we left at 4 pm. The clarity was not bad still for the Illinois but the bite was tough. As it’s been proven in past years even with real high water if the clarity is decent you can still catch these Sauger. Bring on the 8 oz. lead !!! Just a side note as I mentioned last year this river is LOADED with 12-13″ Sauger with alot more Walleye than we’ve seen in a long time. The future outlook for this river and Sauger fishing is incredible.

cupspits

I was thinking about going to the illinois sunday u think it will be fishable.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

thanks for the update glenn

i was thinking about heading that way monday but am having second thoughts after seeing this …

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Quote:

thanks for the update glenn
    i was thinking about heading that way monday but am having second thoughts after seeing this …

It’s not good guys so save your gas!! Give her till it starts coming down a little and clears up then I’d give it a go.

cupspits

I think im going no matter what on sunday i have got them before when it was this high like glenn said the clarity is the key. So if some knows if it chocalate milk or fishable let me know

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Cup I haven’t been down there this morning but by the the time we quit yesterday the clarity had gotten worse. Alot of heavy rain upstream has caused it to go up. The Fox River and the Vermillion are both pumping muddy water into the Illinois. Now with it up above 20 that puts most of the river into the fields. If you go I would put my efforts into the areas up river. Within 2 miles of the dam. And above the Vermillion River. Another note there are no docks in anywhere when launching.Good Luck if you go.

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Any updates on water levels, clarity, etc. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.

cupspits

im going tomorrow i will let u know

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Maybe I’ll see you on the water cup. Plan to be there myself sometime tomorrow.

cupspits

Water high clarity bad bite not very good did catch fish a few good ones mustly dinks hope this helps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.