Sauger mania

• glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I don’t see to many reports on here for the good old Illinois River so here goes. For the last couple months with the river being down and sometimes I mean way down!! The sauger and walleye bite has been fantastic. If you want action then go to the Illinois. Many 50 fish days and yes you have to go through alot of 8-10 inch fish. But on average we’re getting 6-10 legal fish every trip. For us if we fish any deeper than 9 feet we don’t get bit. Most action is between 7-9 ft of water. Pulling lead has worked the best but also three-ways with raps and livebait has been good. Big major flats with dunes are the best bet. Seems this isn’t just a spring/fall fishery!!! It’s great to see all these small fish. It means good things for the future here on the Illinois!!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Great report, sounds like fun

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

nice report, glenn. i gotta get back up there sometime, and not just spring and fall.
    do you do any longlining cranks on the flats? or are 3-ways better? i dont do lead, at least not yet anyway.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Alot of guys long line w/fireline on the flats. Myself I like lead but that’s just my preference. Three-ways are always good and they have been working real well also. Either with live bait or with #5’s,7’s or 9 floating Rapalas. Some days that set-up has produced better than pulling lead. It’s only gonna get better there from here on out into late fall. In the colder water this fall the big girls will start showing up!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.