River levels at Morris

• airpart

Does anyone know how the river level is at Morris? I’m planning on going there on Saturday and don’t want trouble putting the boat in. It is a great ramp but with the low water it can be challenging. Thanks

airpart

Thanks Tony, I’ll try to figure out what the numbers mean.
    This is our one non fishing trip this year with our kids and grand-daughter. I just want to be sure that it’s OK to be out for the day without wrecking the boat in some shallow area. We stay on shore while my kids go wake-boarding.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Hey airpart,

I did a little digging and this is what I have found. It looks to me that the water level has been pretty stable the past five months.

airpart

Thanks Tony, I think i understand the chart, guess we’ll give it a try and see what happens.

Ray

tony_apisa

Hey Ray,
    If there is any else I can help you with, just let me know. Have a great time with the family.

john mannerino
    Chicago IL

Also check out http://www.chicagolandfishing.com. There is a good page on the il river for info. The river is in good shape just take it easy out of the channel. Sand bars have a way of sneaking up on you in that area.

airpart

Thanks John, I’ll put up a post on Monday and let everyone know how the day went. I’ll be careful of the sand bars too.

Ray

airpart

Just to let everyone know we had a great time on the Illinois on Sunday. The river was as deep as it was last year and we were able to get around as always. The kids and my Grandaughter had a great time in the water and on the “beach”.
    Now a question about the beach. Iit is downstream from Stratton park a ways and is a wonderful place to pull up and picknick. All of a suden there are huge signs all over it stating it is private property and violators will be prosecuted etc, etc. I have heard that the Conservation Police on the river will tell you to get off of the beach when they come by. I have done a little research on “rapiarian rights” and learned that The property owner can only keep you off his land from the high water mark back. From the high water mark to the water is OK for public use. Anyone else know about this “beach” and how do you handle the conservation Police when they come by? Most people just pack up and leave. I would never give the police a hard time about this, but it would sure be nice if there could be some resolution on the use of the beach. Any thoughts?

john mannerino
    Chicago IL

I cant see how the dnr will get involved with a privite land issue. As far as who owns what, I could not tell you. It sounds like it would be better to stay away if its posted.

tony_apisa

I agree with John about this. The Ripairian Rights Law is about the use of the water and not the land, if I read it right. Here’s what I read.
    Ripairian Rights.

airpart

Thanks for the answers. My wife called the Conservation Police and the fellow that she talked to wasn’t familiar with this particular aera, but said there are no riparian rights in Illinois. that is strange, since I thought it related to everyone. I guess we will have to do some more checking and I’ll post my findings if there are any. I did find out that someone was fooling around on a rope swing there acouple of years ago and died. That is probably why the land owner put up the signs. This stretch of beach used to be a real playground with people camping over the weekend and doing some really childlike things. Now there are about 40 to 50 boats there and people just sit around and have a good time.
    It’s a shame because there isn’t another place like this within an hours drive from Chicago that I know of.
    Ray

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.