Saugers-time of year-better areas to target

• kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

I am the kind of guy that likes to try new fishing spots and experience different places. It seems to me that I read an article somewhere talking about great sauger fishing on the Illinois river; and that some of these fish were pretty big too (as far as saugers go). I am somewhat familiar with the Peoria area, but that’s about it. Someone pipe up and let’s get a thread goin’ in this quiet corner of the IDA site!

Regards,

Joe Jiacinto

Lundy

I dont know where to get saugers on the Illinois this time of the year, but when the weather cools in the fall and all thru untill spring some good areas to try would be the starve rock area.
    The areas arround the Rt.39 bridge and down river where the barges ty up in the deeper water the colder the water temps drop.Also the Spring Valley area can be real good at this same time. I hope I helped some. Good Luck

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Thanks for the info! I have read a little bit about this fishery, but am interested in learning more. The Mississippi river is closer to home, but I always like taking trips (when I am able) and trying out new bodies of water. Sometime this Novemeber, I may have to schedule a trip some Saturday morning and check it out. I’m about 2-1/2-3 hours west of Peoria.

Regards,

Joe Jiacinto

john mannerino
    Chicago IL

The IL is good for saugers all year. A trolling bite taks over in the summer. Pleasure boats keep me off the river in the summer. The Mississippi has had the BEST walleye fishing in years this year. Becareful of the slot.
    John Mannerino
    npaa#473

brn2fish

If you come to the river it would be best to take I-80 to hennepin or to spring valley.If you put in at hennepin you can fish the area straight across the ramp this can be good at times then move up river above the bridge about 300 yards this area is call the hennepin flats or power lines there will be channel buoy here this can real good area in november.If you feel like taking a ride down river to henry up river side of the bridge tothe stream on the east side can be hot to. Then back up river from here about 2 miles where lake senachwine dumps in the river to up around the
    s-curve is a good area. Now back to hennepin up pass the flats you will come to another s-curve in the river this area can be good. Now upriver from there you will go to the power plant this can produce fish at times. Up river about 1/2 mile from there is the clam beds on your right(south) side of the river. Now up river from there is a stream on the left (north) side of the river this can be hot in november. Well the should keep you busy there will be someone fishing most of these areas so they won’t be hard to find. Good luck out there if you go. If you need any more help let me know.

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

John:

Thanks for your very detailed post, and accept my apologies for not replying sooner! I have been busy these last few weeks chasing my english setter in the thickets hunting woodcock. That season closed last Monday, so I am itching to get back on the water.

I fished yesterday over on the Mississippi at dam 13 (Clinton, IA Fulton, IL) and we did so-so. We boated 7 fish, but only one was legal. It wasn’t too crowded, except right below the dam. We vertically jigged and trolled, with the larger fish coming on floating rapalas trolled very slowly along the bottom.

Depending on what happens this week, we might head over to the Illinois for a change of pace. Do you or anyone else know if IL sells a one day or one week fishing license to non-residents? Is there a decent bait shop in any of these areas that is open early on Saturday mornings?

Regards,

Joe Jiacinto

walleyefarm1

KornKing. No one fishies over there and responds on here much, so i took the trip over there and fished. What a fishery, we have nothing to show for it , but man alot of 2 and 3 and a few 4 pound saugers caught sometime we sould go over there.

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

‘Farm:

Wow! That’s pretty exciting stuff, 4# saugers…

Were most guys jigging? I take it you guys got skunked, but others were catching fish. They must have been using some secret bait or something…

Regards,

Joe Jiacinto

john mannerino
    Chicago IL

The IL river is awsome in the fall.Jigging, pulling and leadcore. Look at the results of the IWT tourneys and that will tell you how the fishery is.www.prairielandeyes.com.
    John Mannerino

brn2fish

the river is high and over it banks right now as of 12-10-04.
    They fish the river into january then it may freeze up for a few weeks. I would think by the time it go’s down in a couple weeks depending on the rain the fish well be in the deep holes. If you put in in spring valley there is a bait shop about 100 yard north of the bridge on the east side of the road. The ramp freeze’s up when it turns cold. If your able to put in here head up river about 5 miles between the 2 bridges you will see the boats.If that ramp is froze. Then you have to head east to starve rock state park to put in. then head down river About 4 miles. They is a bait shopp again on the north side of the bridge.If you have any questions email me at [email protected] Make sure to put fishing the Illinois river in subject line or i may delete it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.