Kankakee River

• NOEL CANTU
    NE IOWA

Hey all,
    Just checking to see if anyone has fished the Kankakee River between Joliet and Kankakee. Does it flow into the Illinois river or vice versa? Someone mentioned that there was an article on sauger and walleye being caught in the Kankakee. I have a brother down that way and thought that we might wet a line when I come to visit. He doesn’t have a boat so we would be bank fishing. Any info would be appreciated…
    Thanks and tight lines,
    Noel

flathead100

It flows into the Illinois, Try the Dam in Kankakee you can shore fish it or bring the waders. Also the dam in Momence. Fish were being caught but with the rain and melting snow this weekend probably pretty high and muddy.

Flathead100

NOEL CANTU
    NE IOWA

Flathead 100 thanks for the reply! So, i’m thinking…waders! Does that mean not much for boat traffic or not much water at normal flow… In either case it does sound promising! Thaks again..
    Noel

flathead100

No water you may see some by the Kankakee dam.

tommac
    south burbs of chicago

was at the kank 3-7 the dam in the town of kank had the turbines running. went down river with waders, first cast caught a decent 21 walleye then nothing. depending when u go there. i would fish the dam. well light and many fish will be arriving soon. did very well there the last four years. and they are by far the best tasting walleye u will ever eat………

NOEL CANTU
    NE IOWA

Hey tom mac,
    I’m trying to envision what fishing in waders and turbines running at the dam would be like – it seems to need some explaining from an experienced guy…
    How deep is the water? Does everyone wade or are there boats to dodge? What techniques do you use? Do you use meat or artificials? This sounds like it could be a ton of fun. Is the river fishable all year or is this a springtime thing?
    I told my brother I was checking this out on IDA fishing site and would have some good input for him.. He was very happy to hear it. He has 4 small kids and doesn’t get out much. Maybe he can take them fishing when they get a little older.
    Anyway, thanks for the info…
    Tight lines,
    Noel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.