Lake Storey , Galesburg 1/7/10

• hnd

headed out for some crappie fishing last night. winds were gusting at 20-30 mph, it was about 17 degrees with a windchill that brought it into double digits.

set up near the dam around the pillar. shoved the vex down a few open holes and saw a slew of activity.

set up shop, got the heater going and within 2 or 3 minutes had our first crappie. 9 3/4″.

last year we fished lake story and caught out of about 2-300 fish a handful over 9″. its over populated but dnr took off size restrictions as well as any limits on them so people over the last couple of years have been working to get fish out of there…well it seems to be paying off….after 3 hours we iced 50 9-10″ crappie with a few 11 incher’s mixed in.

after about an hour, my partner was out fishing me 2 to 1. same bait same actions same everything….finally i’m like what in the hell are you doing differently. he asked what i was doing….i told him i was taking it to the bottom and then bringing it up slowly and getting the fish on top to hit….he said i stopped doign that 40 minutes ago….use that vex to make sure you get your bait down to the bottom and then just jig it…after a couple of minutes, raise it up…don’t even look at the vex…..

after that it started to even out…he probably caught 30, i had 20. great night.

there are plenty of fish in there are they are relatively easy to catch.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

wow. the first-ever post in this forum.
    way to go, hnd.
    and nice job on the crappies, too.

gonna start ice fishing next week when the temps are supposed to get in the 30s. will have to keep storey on the radar after hitting my favorite farm ponds.

gary d
    cordova,il

Thanks for the report. Have you been down to Lake George to
    fish this year. We were down there about to weeks ago but we could still see water in a few places and thought it would be better not to fish it. Thanks for the report again.

hnd

here they are….

blufloyd

Nice I hit last year fishing wasn’t that good. Maybe next weekend though…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.