Southern Illinois Spring Trip

• rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Okay… My dad (Loan-A-Ranger) and I have narrowed our spring trip south for early season fishing to southern Illinois. I know Kentucky and Missouri are likely better for the distance, but Illinois is where we are headed due our circumstances. Some of you offered opinions…wondering if anyone can share anything more to help us make some final decisions…

Looking at in this order: Kinkaid, Rend, Crab Orchard, Cedar, or Egypt. Any one of these good? One better than the other? I just want to catch fish…and hopefully a 5 lber. Anyone been on these in the past 5 years???

Targeting late March or early April? Right time???

Since we are near Carbondale and Marion Illinois, anyone know of a good place to stay thats relatively inexpensive and would cater to bass fisherman (ie. a plug in for the trolly motor and can park your rig and walk into the room? Decent quarters.)

Your input would be very much appreciated… never been freshwater fishing south of Pool 13, so am very much looking to it! Thanks, guys!

jwellsy

Lake of Egypt requires a special boat sticker.
    My favorite places are the visiters lake in Crab Orchard refuge back behind the visiters center. It was closed for about 40 years and they opened it up about 8 years ago with a 21″ min bass lenght. And they catch keepers!
    5 lbers are very common, their not even keepers.
    Only prob is- no boats. It’s about an 80 acre pond.
    The other great place place is on the south side of Crab Orchard Lake called Tri-Lakes, again no boats, and a bit of a walk, but well worth it. Parking area is at a place called WolfCreek Road.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.