Proposed lead sinker ban (SB1269)

• shawnil

You may want to read this… one of our state legislators is suggesting a total ban of lead sinkers. Besides the impact to fishermen, just think of the hassle for all the bait shops and retailers, let alone the enforecement nightmare this would cause to our already strained DNR.

Do a little searching of “health risk lead sinkers” and you can see there are some varying opinions about this. The American Sportfishing Association even has a paper stating there is insufficient evidence to warrant statewide bans.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=&SessionId=76&GA=96&DocTypeId=SB&DocNum=1269&GAID=10&LegID=42210&SpecSess=&Session=

I’ve already sent e mail to my representative and senator about this… we should all keep a close eye on this one. Below is some of what I wrote…

Quote:

Good evening, Senator.

First, I’d like to thank you for representing me in the Illinois state senate. The reason for my e mail is I just became aware of senate bill 1269 (The “lead sinker” act). This act proposes a ban on the sale and use of lead sinkers for fishing in the state of Illinois.

I’m concerned that implementing a total ban on the use of lead sinkers would create a law enforcement nightmare for our already budget strained DNR duty officers. Given our states budget situation, I don’t think act is in our best interest, and certainly is a poor use of our legislative time and resources.

In addition, the environmental impact from lead fishing sinkers is negligible. While there’s no question lead is indeed a toxic substance, my understanding is completely insufficient data exists to warrant a statewide ban of lead sinkers. If certain waters (e.g. Lake Michigan) are of a specific concern, local action would seem to me to be the most prudent and proprotionate course of action.

I’m an avid fisherman, and frequently use sinkers of a 2 to 6 ounce size to anchor baits on the bottom of rivers due to current. The extremely remote chance a bird could ingest sinkers of this size certainly doesn’t warrant the total ban that is proposed. Presently, there is no cost effective alternative to lead for the creation of sutible sized sinkers for the style of fishing I do. Outlawing lead sinkers would cause a major impact to the fishing economy, especially river fishing and catfishing.

I know of many other like minded anglers that would be shocked to hear of this proposed “lead sinker” act, which is in my opinion a knee-jerk reaction monumentally disproportionate to the potential risk.

Feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss, or receive supporting information.

Shawn

gary d
    cordova,il

Sounds like one of those bills that make me feel good bills because you have given me money? thats Illinois!!!

shawnil

My understanding is the bill is being revamped as an education push – no lead ban at this time. Seems to have been some misguided energy, and underestimate of the impact upon sportsmen and retailers. The sponsor met with Mike C. and Don R. of Illinois Smallmouth Alliance, and seemed fairly open minded about the whole thing.

We should still keep an eye on this one, but good news for now.

Shawn

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.