Lake Story report 7/14

• Vol02
    Andover, IL

A friend of mine and I went to Lake Story yesterday and had a pretty good day. We got out around 2:30 and fished till almost 8PM.

We started trying minnows and tube Jigs and got into some crappie 6″ right away. As we trolled along the edge of the lake I hooked into one of these 12″ Crappie. So we just floated back and forth across the spot and caught a few more around the same size then when we quit catching them we continued on.

We kept catching smaller crappie. and after a couple hours we headed back to the spot where we caught the larger ones. as we were trolling back Dan caught a 13″ bass on a worm rig.

Once we got back to the spot we immediately started catching the 11″ crappie and caught a half dozen more.

We did catch a couple small Walleye as well.

Tube jigs with Crappie nibbles, Either Purple fleck or Black/Chartruse seemed to work best.You had to have a crappie nibble though as the didn’t really want the tube jig alone. Minnows worked ok.

Over all a pretty good day. As we were just hopping to keep bussy and had not really planned on getting into some crappie like that.

We did talk to a couple guys fishing not far from us who showed us one 16″ Crappie they caught and they said they had a couple 14″ and missed a couple more that size. They were using minnows and slip bobbers around trees.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Those will sure look good in the fry pan .

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Nice day on the water.
    16 inch Crappies are very tough to come by…
    I’d sure like to see one…
    thanks,
    Jack..

Vol02
    Andover, IL

I will be going back to try to find one of those 16″ fish.

I had a friend who caught a 3lbs. Crappie out of that lake a few years ago.

They taste great. I fried some up last night in a little butter. Seasoned with flower and old bay seasoning.

illinois

I cut my teeth bass fishing this lake and have done some crappie and blue gill fishing on this lake. I have also spent many of days Ice fishing it.

You had one heck of a day from my experience. I have had days where I caught over 200 crappie. but only 20 of them went in the 10 to 12 inch size range. My biggest crappie was 17 inches on a unker lure buzz bait. The fish in the school were so big I thought they were bass from 30 feet away. They were all slabs.

I know the lake like the back of my hand you all want some info drop me a line

Dusty

evileye
    Milan Il

Thanks for the report and congrats on a great day of fishing, I only live about 45 min from story and hardly ever get down there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.