chain of lakes

• jdb
    freeport,IL

I didn’t pass up the opportunity to fish these lakes and it payed off. There were nice crappies holding on a man-made crib that we saw on the camera and the vexlar also helped us dicifer which depth to jig at in 20FOW. typically they we’re 1 to 3 feet of the bottom. (which is what the crib stood) Nice bluegills were also coming up through the ice. According to Rick Taylor’s fishing calender this weekend was supposed to be lousy fishing but it was good for us if we were willing to jig enough for them. It seemed like a 1\4 inch motion jig and stop at the right depth would draw most strikes, but some fish weren’t locating our bait so a somewhat fast whip up seemed to draw on-lookers and the slow methodical drop with a pause is what was worked for me. Both vertical and horizontal presentations were working but my hats of to the rat-finkie. I caught my biggest fish on a 1\16 oz. green\white hairtail black headed jig w\ yellow eye and red neck. Saturday seemed like glow was working better but today black/green or black/white two-tones worked best for us. I still have to believe that the motion of the jig was more important than color.strike zone strike zone strike zone. I did learn the importance of the vexlar in water over 10′ deep. Knowing when to stop jigging (not to over jig and scare the fish) at what depth to slowly lower the jig to the fish were all answered simultaniously. After learning the strike zone aqua-view puts things into reality for my fellow angler. I don’t have either equipment myself so I focused on the spring bobber. Hope everyone is enjoying this season like me. God bless

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.