Northpoint 8/25 – 27 Kings, Kings and more Kings

• Addiction
    IL/WI Border

8/25/06 am – Kings like Blueberry muffin in the morning – We hit the water at 4:30 and set up in 70fow. I only had 2 rods in the water and we had our first bite on a glowmate J-plug down 40. After that we had a dry spell till about 5:15 and then it was lock and load. The blueberry muffin down 65 on the rigger went off every 2 – 3 minutes, but we only were able to boat about 50% of the hits. I then changed over to a 2x strong gammie treble, and set the release a bit tighter and then seems to give us a better catch rate. Blue dolphin and Kevorkian circus freak on the slide divers back 125 and 150 both were taking fish as was Blue bubble spin doctor and the blue bubble fly back 150 on the dipsy. The rigger with the green dolphin mag was good, but could not keep pace with the blueberry muffin on the swr. We were a few fish away from our limit when tragedy hit. The swr hooked up on a good fish and Bill got the rod and the fish made a few good runs then went slack. We brought in the line to find we had lost the only blueberry muffin spoon I had on board. I tried some other spoons but none turned out as good as the muffin spoon. The leadcore were pretty much dead, but the copper with a stinger Kevorkian was also a strong prouder. We had our best action from 80 – 90′ from the state line to 28′ going 23 for 30 something

8/25/06 pm – The ladies get the big kings – We hit the water a little after 2pm and set up pretty much where I had left off in the morning. I had stocked up on blueberry muffins so I put out the same spread as the mooring. The muffin spoon had slowed down, but the Kevorkian on the copper picked up the slack. I did have a dipsy that had not been bit for some time, so I made the leader 10′ instead of 6′ and not too much after that it start to take fish. The problem was a 10′ leader with a 7′ rod made netting fish a bit of a trick. By 6pm I was starting to pull lines since we had our limit, and picked up a few more, ending the day for 24 for 30 something

8/26/06 am – Day of the kings – I had gotten a call the night before that my 6 man trip for the next morning had been trimmed back to a 2 man due to a death in the family. So I had The kid from next door mate for me, cause the way the bite had been, it would not take long to get 15 fish. So we headed out at 5am and set up in 50fow, and trolled south west with a gps speed of 2.7mph. The blueberry muffin was first to strike, but came unbuttoned. Then the green dolphin mag down 50 hooked up and we had the first king in the box. The next hit was on the glowmate jplug down 40. From the fight and how quick the fish was coming in I did not think it was too big. Boy was I wrong, we had a 22# king in the box with less then a 5 minute fish. Just about the time I see it’s a big king the blue berry muffin hooks on with a good fish as well. We then got a net on the first king and the fight was on with the second one. Then one gave us a 15 – 20 minute battle and was not giving up. It fought all the way to the net, and then some, it went 21.5 in the digital scale. Once we took a few pics – note if you keep your camera in a cool spot then take it out on a humid morning, the pic come out foggy. We got some rods back in the water and worked a south west – north east troll from 130 – 90′ We had 16 in the box by 8am and decided to call it a day.

8/26/06 pm – Just 1 short – Since our bite in the shallow water had slowed towards the end, I decided to head out to deep water and try our luck out there. I ran out on the line and set up in 160′ got all the rods out and with pretty much the same spread I had been running the past 3 trips. We had a slow started and didn’t get any hit till we got out to 165′ and the action was pretty consistent till we got to the 220’s and then it really took off. When the bite slowed I turned and headed west and got back into the action. The SWR/blueberry muffin, Kevorkian on the copper and the slide divers with blue dolphin and the circus freak were the heavy hitters for this trip. We headed in going 29 for too many

8/27/06 am – Lake Michigan Flu takes its toll – we hit the water at 5am and it was not bad out and all, and I set up in 80fow and the blueberry muffin went right to work, putting the first 4 year old in the box. Then the slide divers got in on the action, and put a few kings in the box. Then the wind and waves picked up and boat control was a challenge at times. The bite had slowed, the waves picked up and we had 2 feeling the effects so we called it a day going 12 for 18

8/27/06 pm – Betting on Kings – I had called the afternoon crew to let them know the waves were not looking good, but then wanted to give it a try. So when they showed up I took them over to see how rough the lake was, but they still wanted to go. So before I had then fill out license we headed out and floated around in 80fow. They said Lets fish, we filled out the license and set rods. I set rods on a south troll and got the spread that had been working all weekend out. We had not been bit so I headed east and we picked started picking up fish. The first fish was a 12# king and that when the big fish wagers was booked. Seeing the fist fish they knew bigger fish were on the way. I took it all the way out the 130s and we had action all the way, but a freighter was heading north and I need to get out of the way so I headed back west and we had action till we got the 80’s and it died so We turned and head back east with the gps showing 2.7mph and once we got back to the 90’s the action took off. I took it out to the 130 mark again and by now the blueberry muffin and Kevorkian on the copper were the 2 studs, and the lead core had been quite all weekend. So I pull them both cores and put out a blue berry muffin on 1 and a stinger Kevorkian on the other. Then we turned for our east troll and once we hit 100′ we only needed 2 more fish, and it died. So I figured the fish moved out on us so I turned and headed east all the way out to 130 with out a hit. Now I am trying to figure out why the bit shut down, I pulled every rod looking for a shaker, or fowled rig and found none. So I tuned and headed back west with about 30 minutes left before it was time to pull rods. Just as quick as the bite shut down it turned right back on, but we also lost the 3 fish in a row. Then we picked up the last 2 kings, but the rods kept going. So we started working on my limit, and putting rods away as they brought in fish. We had our 25 fish and 3 rods left in the water, so put the boat in neutral to keep from hooking any more fish. We ended the day 25 for 30 something

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.