5-27 DUP Exploration

• zombywuff
    Illinois

I waded a different part of the Dup in Shorewood yesterday, in search of smallies. Hit the water around 11am and picked up a nasty looking 12″ LM on my second cast. Made my way downstream and picked up a small rock bass casting next to a bridge piling! I’ve heard of rock bass being in the Dup, but had never caught any before yesterday, and the LM was my first from there also.

I must have fished a 1/2 mile stretch and picked up nothing BUT rock bass the rest of the afternoon. I’m not talking about a few rock bass, either. I lost count, but the numbers were in the 20+ range! The water was gin clear and a little chilly, but felt great on this 88 degree, bluebird sky day. I was using a 1/4oz swimjig…. (surprize, surprize) with a 4″ grub trailer. A smaller presentation would have brought the numbers up over 50!

All these fish were holding in about a foot of water, in shady areas. The biggest ones I caught were about 10″, with some beautiful markings.

Sure I was looking for their brown scaled cousins, but these little guys are a blast to catch, and made my wade well worth it!

Oh yeah……. I also found a very deep hole, that if you have your chest waders rolled down to your waist, will nicely cool your lower unit off as you slip trying to back away from!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.