If you could own a cabin/land…

• Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

…on any lake/river in in northern Minnesota, which would it be?

I would personally love a lake/region with lots of places to explore. The Ely and voyageurs areas really stick out to me, so possibly Vermillion, Kab or similar lakes. What do you think?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Grand rapids area.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

How far do you consider north? Personally I’d love one on Mille Lacs. Walleye, Smallmouth, Pike, Muskie.

Otherwise I went to a lake called Long Lost Lake up by the headwaters of the Mississippi a few years ago. It had great fishing and was absolutely beautiful. Had maybe 6 houses on the lake and the rest was pine forest and flooded timber. That would be my second choice.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

…on any lake/river in in northern Minnesota, which would it be?

I would personally love a lake/region with lots of places to explore. The Ely and voyageurs areas really stick out to me, so possibly Vermillion, Kab or similar lakes. What do you think?

Wonderful areas. Bring your checkbook thats some expensive shoreline.

B-man

Fish Lake or Island Lake by Duluth for me.

Good walleye and panfishing, yet in close proximity to Lake Superior waytogo

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I ended up on Roosevelt. If you are serious about buying a place, draw a line down the middle of a piece of paper. One side wants, one side needs.

in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/what-lake-would-you-live-on/

Sorry – couldn’t make the link work

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/what-lake-would-you-live-on/?view=all

Sorry again!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Apologizing is a sign of weakness. coffee

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Kab or Grand Rapids area.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Apologizing is a sign of weakness. coffee

I agree, but eating fish eggs gives me strength. laugh

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

not MN, but Crystal Falls, MI back on Peavy Pond.

Attachments:
    1. Microsoft-Edge-3_28_2019-10_13_55-PM.png

BigWerm
    SW Metro

My previous post 4 years ago stands if you are open to a big lake. Rainy, Vermillion or Leech. If I won the lotto, it’d be a small lake in the Walker/PR area with a bunch of land right up to the lake, based off the beauty of the area and proximity to my folks.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sub 3 hour drive is nice if you go there a lot. My wife and I love far northern Mn but it’s too far to go every weekend.

Timmy

Rainy, Superior, LOTW, Rainy Riv in that order for me.

With Manitoba options being a close runner-up.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

My family has had a few different places on lakes in the Hayward area for most of my life and I absolutely love it up there- especially on the Chippewa flowage. Not bad of a drive and it really feels like a true get away every time I’m up there. Really fun bars and resorts in the area help too.
    MN only- Unfortunately havent been a ton of places in northern MN, but so far Leech is head and shoulders my favorite. I’ve had some great times on Gull too. I clearly dont mind a bunch of people around, so if thats not for you I wouldnt recommend. Either way, you really cant go wrong, can you?!

carver
    West Metro

I like Vermillion area. Plenty of lakes close. No need to be on the lake. Myself, purchasing a lot a mile from a public boat launch. Save on taxes.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Lower Wisconsin river, downstream of Boscobel.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lake vermilion

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Rainy, Kab, Crane, Vermilion. Any of those would be wonderful!

Ice Cap

I’m getting closer to pulling the trigger on property on the Whiteface reservoir just a little over a hour drive from he house. It’s decent fishing for crappies and gills but for sure no trophy walleyes. But truthfully so many other things that we wanted were ahead of being on a trophy fishing lake. There is plenty of better fishing nearby if that’s what we wanted.

We wanted more of a family campground. No house or cabin to upkeep and pay heavy taxes on. We wanted power established so we could plug in several campers. Lake access of course. It is set up for a house or cabin if that’s what the kids want to do after the wife and I are gone.

The wife’s thing was lake access as she loves to swim and float around. I could have been just as happy with 40 acres of hunting land with no lake. Privacy is my big thing. I’m not going to pay huge $$ for a sliver of lake shore with neighbors on top of me on both sides.

We found the right piece of property at a reasonable price. Not a great price but reasonable. Wife’s a little reluctant to take on payments again. Been debt free a number of years now and it’s a damn good feeling. So I kind of have the same feeling myself. It’s one of those things that we are taking our time on.

Truthfully up in this area if you cross the border into Wisconsin there seems to be a lot more lake property available over there at much better prices.
    I know a lot of people from the Duluth area that have places in the Minong/Solon Springs and Brule area.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Great question for this thread, Hornster. I would like to have a cabin somewhere in northern MN but since I live in the burbs of the twin cities, I don’t want it to be too far away otherwise I might not get enough use out of it. Somewhere within 2 hours would be ideal. I like the Brainerd area of lakes, plus Mille Lacs is less than half an hour away too so I’ll pick that.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

We have already got a place handed down from my father. I wouldn’t sell it for millions of dollars! West central MN within an hour of Alexandria. Great fishing and hunting and tons of lakes. All a guy could ever ask for yay

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I like Leech lake very very much. But if I had to commute for weekends, I would need to have a plane. I am not going to fight that traffic and drive for that distance.

Since I do drive up for weekends, like big water and hate fighting traffic in order to relax, Mille Lacs works great for me.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

We have already got a place handed down from my father. I wouldn’t sell it for millions of dollars! West central MN within an hour of Alexandria. Great fishing and hunting and tons of lakes. All a guy could ever ask for

Would ya take 1 mil and 1 dollars?

Aaron Kalberer

Our deer camp is 120 acres on a 250 acre lake up by Itasca that is stocked with walleye and has decent panfish. We are surrounded by 11k acres of tax forfeit land and state forest so have plenty of atv trails and land to roam. We are the only cabin on the lake and has gravel access down a logging trail.
    We are close to all sorts of other great fisheries. Plenty of deer, grouse, bear right out the cabin door, and can hear the wolves howl about 1.5 miles to the north of us.

Mahtofire14 We are about 4 miles south of Long Lost as the crow flies.

Ice Cap

We have already got a place handed down from my father. I wouldn’t sell it for millions of dollars! West central MN within an hour of Alexandria. Great fishing and hunting and tons of lakes. All a guy could ever ask for yay

More and more that’s how much of this generation and surely the next will get lake property. It will be handed down. Lake property is getting out of reach of the average working family and will if not already only be within reach of the affluent. You are very fortunate sticker and you obviously appreciate what you have.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.