IDO's new toy

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I picked this Polaris up used a couple weeks ago. It had around 300 miles on it total and was in like new shape. This will make a nice addition to the snowmobiles when there’s no snow on the lakes. So far I’ve had time to add the front and rear guards, winch, Heat Demon grip and thumb warmers, and the windshield. The plan is to add tracks and rig it out with bucket and auger racks over the summer so it is ready to go for next ice season.

I see some serious research into tracks over the next couple weeks. Not course now that we’re all under shelter in place…I’ve got time. waytogo

Anyone with input on tracks…I’m all ears.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200327_191121.jpg

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Nice looking rig. As for tracks jeep it simple, less parts make for less problems. Camoplast has a nice simple and fairly light setup, I think they have a new name now, maybe Casmo. The Tatoo (sp) work well, I think they are the same as the Polaris brand. Keep an eye open for a used set, they come up once in a while. I’ll let you know if I hear or see anything.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Not being a ice guy (blasphemy I know) or 4 wheeler guy I have a question.
    You say the 4 wheeler is for low snow conditions when you don’t need a snowmobile. If there is a lack of snow wouldn’t the tires be enough? What will the tracks give you?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Not being a ice guy (blasphemy I know) or 4 wheeler guy I have a question.
    You say the 4 wheeler is for low snow conditions when you don’t need a snowmobile. If there is a lack of snow wouldn’t the tires be enough? What will the tracks give you?

Versatility for when I need to haul more people than I’m able to move with our two sleds when there is a lot of snow. The majority of the time we would use this machine would be with tires. We keep running into situations the last couple years where we’re short transportation for people and I want to have my bases covered.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

OK, thanks.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Nice looking outfit James.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

checkout Tracks USA great people to deal with

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’ll be watching this closely. Next year I was thinking of pulling an aluminum skiddy and not sure if it will work without tracks.
    This was my first year and all I had was chains on the front and pretty much got through everything but probably wouldn’t have made it pulling a house.

Heading out in a few minutes, I’m still looking for the 16″er! woot

Attachments:
    1. SXS.jpg

James Almquist

What is a ball park guess on what a set of tracks run for a smaller 4 wheeler ? Those Cosmos look to much lighter then the style I have seen in the past.

Ice Cap

Ball park is 4 to 5 grand. Then you usually have to buy the mounting hardware specific to your machine separately. I kicked the idea back and forth about putting them on my Ranger but initial cost versus number of times I’d actually need them and storage in the summer I ruled them out.

Matthew Sandys

James, Why buy tracks if you already have a snowmobile? A lot of money and could just run sled when the snow gets deeper? Chains are cheap.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’m not an ATV expert at all, but I did see this video on a guy who was using tracks. I was surprised it got stuck and then they had to come get it out with tires? Interesting…

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Camso’s $4,000 new.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James, Why buy tracks if you already have a snowmobile? A lot of money and could just run sled when the snow gets deeper? Chains are cheap.

Pretty sure I already explained that above. It is common for me to need to move 4 to 6 people. Not possible on two snowmobiles. A four-wheeler, even with chains, would have no ability to travel with snowmobiles where we fish most of the winter.

mallardmayhem
    Spicer, MN

Have 2 seasons on Camso tracks on Can Am 650 and work like a champ! Amazing the floatation and traction they have over tires. Make sure you fill the machine up prior to leaving for the morning as it makes the machine pretty thirsty with the gear reduction in track system.

James Almquist

Ball park is 4 to 5 grand. Then you usually have to buy the mounting hardware specific to your machine separately. I kicked the idea back and forth about putting them on my Ranger but initial cost versus number of times I’d actually need them and storage in the summer I ruled them out.

Thanks for the reply. I think I am in the same boat as you. The few times that I would truly need them just would not be worth the cost.

Fishinfool

Heres my rig i built fits everything i need in the tub like helix 7, and my marcum camera, lunch box, engel cooler beverages…buddy heater,basiclly all the stuff u dont want broken added a clam rod holder to the side holds my sturgeon rods nice and eather my z71 eskimo or my clam plate with a 8 inch lite flite and the mud flaps keep the slush off the otter

Attachments:
    1. 20200202_153721.jpg

2. 20191228_162546.jpg

3. 20191228_164710.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’ll be watching this closely. Next year I was thinking of pulling an aluminum skiddy and not sure if it will work without tracks.
    This was my first year and all I had was chains on the front and pretty much got through everything but probably wouldn’t have made it pulling a house.

Heading out in a few minutes, I’m still looking for the 16″er! woot

I sure like your taste in wheelers!!!!!!!! waytogo waytogo

CaptainMusky

James you will likely find through your research that clutch work may be required to use the tracks. So swapping back and forth from tires to tracks may be a bit more involved or you could burn up belts.
    Having a two up machine you are really going to appreciate that, not necessarily for carrying a passenger, but just the overall length and ride quality.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Sweet Ride Buddy !!!
    If I know you well enough.. you will have this ride dialed into perfection !!!

Congrats on the purchase !!

super_do
    St Michael, MN

James you will likely find through your research that clutch work may be required to use the tracks. So swapping back and forth from tires to tracks may be a bit more involved or you could burn up belts.

I had a 570 Polaris Sportsman for 6 years with tracks and no belt issues without doing any clutch work. Most of the time running with two people on it.

Andrew Pansch

after using a ranger with tracks this winter I would never use wheels again. That thing just goes through things so well with little effort. You’ll be happy with that rig even though it will weigh more the track displacing the weight is much better. I did find it more difficult on glare ice but that’s anything really.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Mu old man has had tracks (Camoplast) on a Yamaha griz 700 for probably close to 10 years now.

I’ve never gotten it stuck despite trying many times…Never been in slush though.

For a 60mph machine running tires, 20 mph is moving pretty good with tracks. Of course your MPH gage is going to be wrong so i’m guessing at 20 mph. I know you can push it harder, but never seemed necessary.

Fun as heck though they are!
    Dad is a retired farmer, you couldn’t have a better machine (Wheeler w/tracks) to go get cattle that are running around the country-side in the winter.

Trying to get my old man to upgrade to a SXS so i can put his wheeler to good use on ice grin

braidyc

Polaris tracks made in the last couple years are Camso. I’ve had tracks for at least 10 years I would not buy anything but Camso. Atvtracks.net seems to be the go to place for tracks and information. It’s possible you can get an end of the season price at Polaris for tracks, worth checking into.

One thing to keep in mind is the Camso tracks are adaptable to other machines, the Polaris version of Camso’s are not.

MNBOWHUNTIN

Camso T4S tracks on my Honda Foreman. Work awesome. For anybody looking to pull heavier loads like skid houses, the extra “hookup” and traction they provide when pulling is awesome!

ATVtracks.net is where I bought mine. 3,800$ I think, 3 years ago. Came with everything needed to put on. I put mine on myself and original install was a 3-4 hours. After that its about 30-45 minutes to put on and take off.
    I think atvtracks.net had free shipping too, if shipping to a business address.

Jason

Well my new toy was a Can Am Defender HD10 Cab with Can Am’s 360 LT tracks. With this setup I can leave the house wherever and fish where I want to. I also built a custom aluminum topper for it to hold all of my gear and it works pretty slick. I wanted to have each side compartment independent from the main box to help organize everything. I have it wired with lights and everything.
    The complete setup wasn’t cheap but hopefully I can enjoy it for many years to come…

Attachments:
    1. 20200329_155418.jpg

2. 20200418_103608.jpg

3. 20200418_103522.jpg

4. 20200418_103438.jpg

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.