IDO Get Together on Lake of the Woods + Win a Chance to Film with James & Joel

• Denny O
    Central IOWA

Yep Bob, Steve and myself are coming. Danielle has my deposit so my 3 bed is reserved. We will be fishing with Ballards. If I was able to stay longer and had a sled I would pull the trailer and our own gear. No sled or wheeler.

bee
    Maine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bee wrote:</div>
    Much as I would like to make it I will be tending ship here in Maine. Got some slabs that need a licking.

Bee, if not this one, hopefully at another one held in the near future. Stay toasty my friend.

I will try James. Waiting to see tomorrows show. Its on record as I will be On The Ice.

ODA

I may just have to jump on this opportunity by those dates I will have the itch back and be ready to fish with you guys again.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20141224_184112215_HDR.jpg

MartyNelson3

thanks for the invite, that would be a awesome b-day present, unfortunately I am the only one I know that loves to be on the ice.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Give Danielle a call during the mornings at Ballard’s, I’m surprised that they are only doing double occupancy! I know they have cabins that will house 2 through 14, I would think that at least one of the bigger ones would be housing a group of miss matches. Hummm I going to call right now.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

OK here’s the dirt,

Rates are based on double occupancy.

A single would be best to hook up with some one here for the reservation at Ballard’s but you may or may not be able to make the drive together to split those costs.

Kerry whom I spoke with just now says the “Block out quota” is about 1/2 full for the total amount of people.

Best to try to hook up here with some one or call Ballard’s for another option, they do not want to be the match maker,,,, just not what they want to do. They feel the slot will fill by the time the need to know date comes due.

michaelcfi79
    Twin Cities, MN

Hey James, first off, what a fantastic event idea! One “tweak” perhaps worth entertaining is what if you took a different crew the second day?
    It would add excitement to the second evening and to the event in general having twice as good of a chance at getting to fish with you/Joel.
    As a viewer, I wouldn’t mind at all, in fact, might find it more entertaining watching the different personality types/fishing techniques.
    Finally, given time of year and it being on LOTW, catching fish for film both days shouldn’t be an issue. Just a thought.
    I had been planning a trip to Gunflint to chase trout around this time, but I’m checking with the crew as we speak to see if we can “course-correct”.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I’m booking tomorrow along with another IDO’er.
    Just curious who all is going, let’s have a role call.

Round House

Does anyone know if there are any spots available for this?

Mike Anselmo
    Wisconsin

There are still spots available. I believe we are closing in on 30 IDOers booked so far. This will be fun.

Round House

Thank you Mike! I will call today and book… Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey James, first off, what a fantastic event idea! One “tweak” perhaps worth entertaining is what if you took a different crew the second day?
    It would add excitement to the second evening and to the event in general having twice as good of a chance at getting to fish with you/Joel.

That’s certainly something we’ll consider. I’ll talk with Joel and see what he thinks but that makes sense to me. Plus the guys we fish with will have heard all my jokes by the end of the first day so I’ll definitely need a fresh audience.

nblasius
    SE South Dakota

Our reservations are made. Can’t wait to get up there! We chose the fish with us package. Never fished LOW before, this should be a great time. Looking forward to meeting lots of new people…

Denny O
    Central IOWA

James and Joel,

Could you give us a heads up on rod/reel, line and other tackle that we should be thinking about? A Vex or Marcum I’m sure would be an obvious add but, are cameras not effective due to the stained water?

“Fishing with Ballard’s” option I know heaters, huts, trucks and augers will not be needed as they provide. What about “Fishing on your own”? I would assume all would be needed.

frey0011
    Southern MN

My son and I are signed up for the “Fishing with Ballard’s” option and are really looking forward to the trip! We have never fished LOW before and are excited for the chance to try it out.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

James and Joel,

Could you give us a heads up on rod/reel, line and other tackle that we should be thinking about? A Vex or Marcum I’m sure would be an obvious add but, are cameras not effective due to the stained water?

“Fishing with Ballard’s” option I know heaters, huts, trucks and augers will not be needed as they provide. What about “Fishing on your own”? I would assume all would be needed.

I just had a buddy who opted in for the trip who was asking some of the same questions. I’ll do my best to take a stab at what I usually fish with on Lake of the Woods, but keep in mind that everyone’s got their favorites. I’m sure others will chime in when they get the chance too.

Rods

Most of us in the houses will be fishing primarily walleye/sauger, so I’ll center my recommendations around that species. You’ll also likely be fishing deeper, probably in the 20-30FOW range, esp. in the houses. For those depths, fishing the baits you’ll be fishing to get there and stay there, you’ll want a rod with more backbone than you’re probably used to. That doesn’t mean a heavy rod, it means a rod with a fast tip, that still has plenty of backside for hooksets in that deep of water. Think something similar to the TUCR Precision and Power Precision, as they’ll fit the two styles of baits you’ll likely be working. In deeper water, trying to detect strikes, yet still have the umph to fight these fish, fast rods like those with a good taper and backbone really shine. For the rods you already have, think rods that will handle baits in the 1/8oz to 1/4oz range.

Reels

There’s alot of good reels on the market these days, but it can pay to fish with a reel that’s got a quality drag, esp. if you don’t like to back-reel. The Shimano Sedonas/Saharas for me are at a good price point for the quality you get, but there’s plenty of good options out there.

Line

I’m running the Sufix Invisiline Floro for most of what I have this year, and while LOW won’t require you to run thin/transparent line (it’s not that clear), Floro is nice because it usually won’t stretch as much. In fact, if you know you’ll be in a house the whole time, feel free to go with a braid and tie off to a mono or floro leader. Especially if you have a rod that bends like the whip on a dune-buggy, that should lead to more fish staying buttoned up.

Baits

My strategy, especially in a shack relies on one person constantly ringing the dinner bell. That means a rattle bait of some variety. Blades, Rippin’ Raps, Chubby Darters, and the like should always be going. I’ve seen too many times where baits like that will keep new fish coming in, and more fish coming into the area. I’d put 1/2 of the rest of your spread into jigging spoons of many varieties. Experiment with rattle spoons, flutter spoons, heavier lead spoons, etc. Each will have their pros/cons, and the folks at Ballards will give you a heads up as to what’s been working best. Each of those baits have an upside that on any given day might be the one that gets you bit most often. For the remaining half of your spread, don’t overlook live bait. Some with a weighted attracting type hook (VMC teardrop comes to mind) and some with a fine wire plain hook and just the minnow. Bobbers are nice for these, and when properly weighted will give the fish some time to take the bait if the bite is finicky.

Anytime I’ve fished LOW in a permanent, I’m usually the one ringing the dinner bell. The idea is that aggressive to moderately aggressive fish will take your loud bait, right off the bat. You’ll need to rip to attract, then slow it down to seal the deal. Then, if they pass on yours, they’re in the area and relatively interested in the rest of your spread. That said, unless the bite is really slow, you’ll usually take the bigger fish. They may come fewer/further between, but that’s what I’ve seen. Resist the temptation to switch over on everyone’s line to whatever seems to be the hot bait of the moment, unless the fish are really thick down there. I’ve found that failure to attract can mean less fish for everyone, but that’s not always a hard/fast rule.

Colors

Gold and gold hammer, red, pink, and perch variations including firetiger. That should just about cover it. ) Those are my picks in order. Pretty basic, and there’s definitely times when that emerald green which mimics the shiners will produce more fish on a finicky bite day, but the above have served me well for all the years I’ve ever been up there. If there was one color you couldn’t do without, it would have to be gold. There’s something about it, I don’t know what it is, but my best days for both numbers and big fish have come on it up there.

General Suggestions

Fish as fast as they’ll let you. There’s bite windows and flurries throughout the day that you want to capitalize on. When fish are really going nuts, it’s hard to beat a lead spoon in 1/4 oz. You get to the fish quick, they don’t care, and you’re back down again. You can go through frozen shiners pretty quickly depending on their condition, so I prefer the heads of fresh-killed shiners, but both work for tipping spoons. Keep scissors, pliers, and/or forceps handy as you’ll have some slot fish you’ll need to cleanly release. Bring another battery for your flasher, and don’t worry about a camera. You can fish longer days in March, and old batteries tend to want to conk out early-mid afternoon. Just bring a spare for the house and you should be well-served.

I’m sure I’ll think of more things, and others feel free to chime in. I’ll edit this as I think of things and try to keep everybody as informed as possible.

I’m already excited for it. Too bad we have to wait, but it’ll be here before we know it!

Joel

Ron Willis

Can’t think of a better way to make my first trip to LOW. Got the okay from the lady just need to find a 2nd for the double occupancy. None of my buddies can swing it so far. Hoping there’s another odd number IDOer needing someone for booking. Drop me a message. Thanks.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Joel,
    WOW thank you for the FULL response!!
    I think you went over the top on your answer, but then I asked didn’t I? And you delivered.
    Thank you.

When using a lead head or a weighted bare hook,I’m also a believer in stingers. My experience at the Lake Of the Woods with walleyes and can be (and seem to be mostly) tail or short biters. Most of mine are caught on a small stinger.

If we get into perch,, well, just make sure you have plenty of meat!

castle-rock-clown

Are there eelpout in LOW? To attend this event I will be passing eelpout fest in Walker,but was wondering if these fish also reside here?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Yes there are! I usually catch one every third trip there or so.

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Hopefully everyone here on IDO that wanted to attend has their reservations in place. Ballard’s says they’re 100% booked for the event! It will be a great time – now let’s start praying for good weather!

castle-rock-clown

Hopefully everyone here on IDO that wanted to attend has their reservations in place. Ballard’s says they’re 100% booked for the event! It will be a great time – now let’s start praying for good weather!

Doesn’t surprise me, I had heard PETA has a convention planned in that area on that weekend and were looking for rooms.

bsully23
    Pittsville, WI

That really sucks! I was really looking forward to attending & doing the fish with us package, but my buddy bailed on me at the last minute. I was just going to ask someone on here if they were looking to for a partner or someone to lodge with yet. I’m going to look myself, but does anyone off hand know of close places a guy could lodge at for those nights?

Thanks,

Brad

bsully23
    Pittsville, WI

There are still spots available at Ballards… is anyone on here looking for a lodging partner? Seeing the minimum is two people. I would be willing to do the “fish with us” or “fish on your own” package. I am 25, non-smoker, very out going & easy to get along with, I’m a hole hopping kind of guy. I would be coming from Central WI (Marshfield, WI), so we can meet & share a ride or just meet at the resort. I have everything we’d need: a Otter XT1200 Cabin (2 person), two vexilars, auger, can bring a ATV or Snowmobile. You’d just have to bring poles & your basic essentials. I am also considering stopping at Red Lake for a day of fishing on the way home, if that would be of interest or if we share a ride. text or call 715-323-3255, my names Brad, feel free to leave a message & i’ll get back to you.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

There are still spots available at Ballards…

That’s good to hear. I know at one time we were capped at 40 spots available. I assume that since there’s been a lot on interest additional houses have been made available. The more the merrier I say! waytogo

castle-rock-clown

If we are not booking with Ballards can we still buy in to the evening meals? I’m even willing to sit at the kids table if needed.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If we are not booking with Ballards can we still buy in to the evening meals? I’m even willing to sit at the kids table if needed.

CRC – I’m checking into this now. I would think all would be welcome to join in the festivities in the restaurant and bar but I’m checking just to be certain they have room, etc. I’ll post back with an answer as soon as I hear back from Ballard’s.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I just heard back from Ballard’s. Long story short, the more the merrier! There will be plenty of room in the restaurant and in the bar each evening so even if you’re not staying with Ballard’s come on over and take part in the festivities!

Note – just so nobody gets confused… only those staying with Ballard’s will be eligible for the drawing to co-host the IDO episode.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

For those fishing out of Ballard’s houses, I have one idea for you. Bring a seat cushion. The chairs provided are metal folding chairs. Two days of sitting on them got tough for this guy.

Otherwise, you’ll love Ballard’s, the guides, the restaurant, the whole operation is top notch! Wish I could go again but I have my sites set on the sturgeon bite up there this year.

ET

Nice Fella

My crew fished 3 days out of Ballard’s in mid-January and had an awesome time – great resort operation. Weather conditions were ideal with sunshine and temps in the teens (above zero). We literally had bites from first line drop down the hole until the Bomber came by at 4:00 to pick us up. The saugers in particular were running larger than we had seen in past years. And they bit on just about anything we put on the end of our line, including small silver/blue Kastmasters, Jiggin’ Rap in red, gold/red Buckshot Rattlespoon, but the one that outfished ’em all was a UV glo-pink frisbee jig. I caught the largest ‘eye on my dead stick with a perch colored Demon with an orange dot, tipped with a minnow. Just for fun I put 2 full minnows on a 2-1/2″ silver Kastmaster, trying for “the big one”. Ended up with a 10″ sauger! I also recommend the seat cushion; and some Fireball in your flask.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.