Idaho elk numbers?

• A – Aron
    Red Wing

Have a quick question about Idaho elk population.

Im considering a hunt next year and the outfitter I’ve been talking with is saying the herd is strong and they have lots of good numbers, just not a ton of trophy caliber animals, at the moment.
    Im a little concerned about dropping the $ I could care less if I didn’t shoot a monster bull or even shoot one. but to go out their and not see elk would really blow. Has anybody hunted the sawtooth region/unit 33-34 in the last few years?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ll see where my neighbor hunts. They go every year in an over the counter unit.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I would get in contact with recent clients the outfitter had out and talk to them directly. Just like whitetail populations here. He may be on a good herd or two in a specific region, but most have reported numbers are way down

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I just did a quick search and some chat rooms were saying those areas were hard hit by wolves and had tags reduced and outfitters leave the area. I would do alot of research I know if you look Idaho and effects of wolves on elk some areas are really decimated. Also call all the references.

Mwal

4walleye
    Central SD

Randy and mwal are correct you need to do your homework and check previous clients and other sources. Idaho elk have been heavily impacted by wolf packs. Talking to people who live there, they say the elk have moved into heavy, blow down timber to avoid predation by wolves. Not a fun place to hunt. I have also talked to several acquaintences who have gone on back country pack trips for elk in wilderness areas, and who have never even seen an elk during there hunts.

prieser
    Byron, MN

I know that Idaho lets you take a black bear, timber wolf or mountain lion with your big game deer/elk tag (if you don’t harvest one them that is) If that is any inkling as to the predators in the state, I’d definitely be wary. As with most of the western states, predators have had a large impact. The CO’s that I have talked with in Idaho were very helpful with regards to numbers elk/deer in a specific region; and also about the number of other hunters you might encounter. But it’s also their job to paint a pretty picture, so they didn’t want to make it sound too grim either.

Aaron carlson
    St. Charles MN

I returned from the Weiser river zone just south of saw tooth and same thing as the locals told you. Wolves and bear knocked the population down! I seen 2 elk in 7 days both were cows walking in the town of Cascade. We were very disappointed in how the locals hunt also! We put lots of miles on feet in the mountains and locals would ride there side by side and shoot what ever they wanted to from the fire trails above or below you. We hunted the public land which im sure wasn’t the best also! Guess lesson learned pay the money and have it guided!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.