ID needed for driving up to NW angle

• buschman
    Pool 2

I know this has most likely been talked about quite a few times so sorry if it is a repeat..

My work booked a trip up to the angle next week and just asked if I want to go with. I have not been up there for a few years and right now just have my drivers license and birth cert. This worked just fine a few year ago.. Is it still acceptable or did times change??

If this will not work then what does a guy have to do? I am looking on line now as well.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Just get a passport and be done with it.

buschman
    Pool 2

Understood, but that will not help in this case… They leave next week. They told me it will take 8-10 weeks to get the passport.

buck-slayer

You think you can get a passport quick but they charge you alot more.

Coletrain27

enhanced drivers license will also work wont it?

Joe

A couple years ago we took a bomber ride from sportsmans on the river to oak island. That may be an option, depending on where you need to go.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

If you find that what you currently have does not work or you cant get the documentation you need…
    you may be best off using, borrowing or renting a snowmobile a ride the bomber trail up there. There may also be resorts like sportsmens lodge that make bomber runs up there and you can hop in with one of them for a fee.

zooks

Besides a passport, an enhanced ID will also work for Canada land/water crossings. You can also drive to downtown Mpls and get an expedited passport, it will just cost you a little extra ($170 exp vs $110 regular).

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies/minneapolis.html

Borrowing a snowmobile and going via the bomber trail would also be a good option if you’re unable/unwilling to get the proper documents. To be certain about what you need, I’d just bite the bullet and call the CBPA and CBP.
    Hope this helps, good luck.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html
    https://www.cbp.gov/contact

catmando
    wis

The new enhanced driver license is all you need, you just can’t use in when you fly, then a passport is needed.

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

Something similar to this happened to my brother as his company asked him to fly to Italy on business on short notice. He had his passport expedited and received it in the mail in less than 2 weeks.
    So, you may able to get a passport on short notice, just not sure if you will get it time.

IBPhishin

2 years ago, round trip bomber ride from sportsmans in baudette to flag island resort was $160.

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

If you stay at Sportsman at oak Island I think they run you up from the resort on the south shore. Do that…

buschman
    Pool 2

Thanks guys! I talked to the guys at the border crossing.. Long and short is that Canada will let me in with the drivers license and birth cert. Coming back into the US is where I will get flagged. He said they will let me across but might end up taking a while so they can verify all information. They also suggested that I go and start the process for a passport or enhanced id and bring the paperwork with. Even if I don’t have the passport or ID in hand they see that I am making an effort to get it. He said that would help from them holding us up for a couple hours.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.