Icefishing ATV plow

• crappies

Another 4 wheeler question. When the snow gets to deep to get around has anybody tried putting plow halfway down just so they can get around on the lakes? Thanks in advance.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Not sure how that’d help. I plow with a payloader all winter and the only thing achieved by running with a plow half way down is getting stuck. You’re better off just going fast through it than trying to put the plow half way down. Just my personal experiences. It takes a lot to get a 40,000lb piece of machinery stuck but that’s one of the quickest ways to do it.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I just had to do that to get my driveway plowed, first time plowing it this year. Wasn’t able to push it with it all the way down so I lowered it part way to get it started. Also don’t angle it all the way, a slight angle is best. Go out and give it a try and let us know how it works.

Ice Cap

I’ve had the same thought about using my plow on the lake to plow my own way around. It would be slow going because you don’t know whats under the snow, Did somebody leave an abandoned spear hole? Pulled a permanent off and leave ice banks behind? Besides my plow and mount probably weighs a extra 200 lbs that’s just extra weight to deal with if and when you get stuck.

I’m tearing my hair out right now because I’m locked out of ice fishing pretty much because of all the snow. The side X side isn’t going far off a plowed road which really puts the limit on things and many of my local little puddles that are 20 minutes from the house don’t have plowed roads anyhow. So buy tracks for the wheeler or a snowmobile I guess. It’s only money!

crappies

My first year owning a 4 wheeler. Everything is new to me. I have a 12″ clearance on it so Im thinking I should be able to get around pretty good until we have 2 ft of snow on the ice. About a foot now but will be close to 2ft by next weekend. Thanks for the info guys!

Ice Cap

Keep in mind it’s not just the snow but what’s underneath. You are dealing with a seasons worth of different layers and whatever else is under the snow. If it was 2 feet of just powder no worries but you keep breaking through the different layers until your finally stuck.

I was out last weekend on a lake where there was no plowed roads or had not been any traffic in awhile. It was a struggle for my 900 XP side by side and that was before we got the additional snow. I wouldn’t even attempt it now.

I will add I have some pretty aggressive tires even though they are mostly mud and terrain they helped a great deal. They are Sedona Rip Saw’s and will really dig. Here’s a tip. Bring a 2X4 that is about 4 inches longer than whatever size hole your auger drills. Tie a rope around the middle of it. If your stuck drill a hole and push the 2X4 down and get it side ways in the hole and winch yourself forward. If you’re having to do this you’re in pretty deep but I watched a guy do this once and it got him out of a good jam.

Andrew Pansch

You can run with it half way down I did it earlier this year with a side by side. If you hit a drift that’s when you can run into problems. Have a slight angle and you’ll be alright. If you do hit a drift it should stop you from going over and getting hung up.

Gitchi Gummi

I’d recommend no plow, keep your winch free of the plow and keep a 2×4 and an auger with. If you get stuck, drill a hole 20 ft in front of you, attach the winch strap to the 2×4 and drop it down the hole. Then you can just winch yourself forward. It may be slow but it’s a last resort if you get stuck with no other options.

Troy Hoernemann
    Nevis mn

I would suggest chains for the back tires works well on my 3-wheeler can get through a lot of snow on the other hand my 3-wheeler isn’t as heavy on the front end so it floats on the snow

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I would suggest chains for the back tires works well on my 3-wheeler can get through a lot of snow on the other hand my 3-wheeler isn’t as heavy on the front end so it floats on the snow

Yea, I would second the chains for deep snow. If you aren’t pulling a house it should be fine once you eat down through assuming you have the chains with the “v” things on them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.