NW Angle

• avery2408
    Iowa

Well boys I just got back from a trip up into the islands and I fished for three days. Needless to say the bite wasn’t in my favor this year. Its always a bonus to get on a nice bite when we drive 14 hours to fish, but that is definatly not what it is all about. The first day we fished it was -38 degrees. The second day there were high skys, sunny and very cold. The third day consisted of low skys and lots of snow. Well, long story short, inconsistant weather = a tough situation. Never in the ten years that I have been going has the weather took a turn like that in three different days. Yes, it was tough and numbers were down, but I generally don’t care for numbers. I, like the rest of us, want that one big hog to bite and if that is the only fish in three days, that is what we came for!! We did manage to pull a couple of nice fish. My dad managed one that was 26 inches and hit the scale at 7 lbs. What a beauty!! We also managed the pull out a slime dart the was 38 inchs and hit the scale at 18 lbs. So all in all, that is why we go in the first place. This is why we call it fishing and not catching and what keeps us doing what we do as anglers.
    PS Please give me some warm weather!

wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

Sometimes comaraderie is the winner. Enjoy the time you get with Dad and family they are the most precious. You got some fish anyway. Good Going.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Sometimes comaraderie is the winner. Enjoy the time you get with Dad and family they are the most precious. You got some fish anyway. Good Going.

It’s best to focus on that aspect even when the truth is fish should bite on sparkplugs when you travel that far north…

avery2408
    Iowa

Wismitty, you hit the nail on the head. Comarderie is the winner here. I would rather pull a 7 lb fish out of the ice for my dad than a 10 lb fish fo myself! Although both would be nice. The bite is only about a third of what the trip is all about.

haney
    Hawkeye, Iowa

There is nothing better than spending some time trapped in an ice shack with friends and family. Even if the fish aren’t biting, there are still memories made. Pictures of a trip like that, whether they have fish in them or not are priceless!!

PS- give me some warm weather too please

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.