Fun question!

• ekruger01

found a lake while cruising around one day and was thinking about hitting it this ice season, would you guys try this lake:

—— Lake experienced low oxygen resulting in winterkill of fish in the 2000-2001 winter. Following the winterkill, 220 lbs. of black crappie, 80 lbs. of bluegill and 26 lbs. (13 fish) of adult largemouth bass, and 47,000 northern pike fry were stocked into —– Lake to reestablish game fish populations.

Unfortunately, common carp and bullheads dominate the fish community of —– Lake, hindering the re-establishment of gamefish to a certain extent. The successful fry stocking of northern pike in 2001 resulted in a good population of this species over the past several years. Since 2004, the population appears to be in decline. Netting in 2006 yielded pike from 18 to 26 inches in length. Spring trap netting for adult brood stock indicate even larger fish in the population. Most pike captured belonged to the 2001 year-class. The lack of younger fish may indicate poor reproduction or recruitment and may result in poor fishing for this species in the future. Netting indicated that bluegill and crappie were present in large numbers. Size was typically small but growth was good. Given the current age structure of the panfish populations, quality panfishing opportunities may return to the lake within a few years. —— Lake also supports a healthy population of largemouth bass. Bass captured during electrofishing included good numbers of quality-sized fish and should provide good angling opportunities. ?

the netting results from 06 are less than desired for a lake i would normally throw on the radar but i hardly see one or two portables out there and they are normally the same ones….also the lake has a max depth of 30 feet and is basically one giant hole with a point that comes out about mid lake making it look like a horseshoe think starting right off the point would be a good place to start?

ek

sandmannd

It’s never going to hurt to try a lake you haven’t been on. You might find a lot of small fish in this lake but if you put in some time on it, you might just find some nice sized fish in there as well. The worse that happens is you try a new lake, catch some small fish or get skunked. You also have the potential of finding a honey hole to yourself. Either way, you still did some exploring and that’s what this sport is all about.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

I would most definitely take a day to do it. For me, finding an unknown spot (that everyone drives by) that produces would make my winter.

And, if it doesn’t… …you could say you found an awesome spot and then watch everyone follow you down there. Then go find a new one

hambone870
    Illinois Wisconsin Border

if the same couple people keep going out there they have to be catching something… Go for it!

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Some of the best fishing of my youth was on “winterkilled” ponds and lakes near my home…eventually someone would find out and ruin it, but for a few years I had a nice handful of sleeper spots with some huge fish that NOBODY knew about. Go for it, give it even maybe more that one day. Sometimes a hunch or idea pays off bigtime!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.