humminbird 35 vs Lx3???

• jeweler
    Wisconsin

I know this has been going around but anybody use the humminbird 35 or LX3? I know a lot of people that own the LX 5 and I am not able to get that one. Back to the question what are the pros and cons between these two? The 35 has a dual beam trans. but not as much power as the lx3. I thought I read that the 35 has an adjustable zoom and the 3 has zoom but not adjustable? Is this correct? Not really sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am looking to get for xmas.
    Thanks, Jeweler

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

The 35 has a dual beam trans. but not as much power as the lx3. I thought I read that the 35 has an adjustable zoom and the 3 has zoom but not adjustable? Is this correct? Not really sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am looking to get for xmas.

Thanks, Jeweler

The Humminbird 35 doesn’t have a true dual beam transducer. None of their models do. Unless something drastic has changed with the way they manufacturer their transducers since late last winter they use the secondary frequency off of a single crystal to produce the second “beam.” Going this route saves money but produces a very dirty signal which is why the wide beam (the seconday signal off of the single crystal used) struggles in water deeper than 25 feet. In my opinion it is a short-cut that the companies in the industry that focus on making top quality ice flashers would never take. And side-by-side performance out on the ice shows why.

To produce a true “dual beam” you need dual crystals in the transducer. Or at least you do if you want to do it right. Notice the multi-beam transducers from MarCum and Vex are…. bigger. Much bigger. The crystal size is inversely proportionate to cone angle. Meaning to produce a narrow beam you need to use a bigger crystal. And that’s why no company has gone to a beam option narrower than 8 degrees. For example, the transducer would be approximately twice the size of the true dual beam transducers on that market should a company offer a 4 degree option.

Re: Zoom… The Lx3 has the same adjustable zoom as the LX5.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

The Lx-3 also has an adjustable zoom, like the 5 and the bird 35. The main difference between the 3 and 5 is the dual cone angle.
    Its always a good idea to look at side by side on Marcum’s Website . Also if you buy before 12/31/10 you will get an extra rebate back.

round1

One of the other things to consider is how often you fish “close” to others – i have a good friend that has the 35 and has problems with interference.. The New LX3 unit has a patented new and improved twelve level “Interference Rejection” feature that allows the user to knock out interference from other nearby sonar units.

iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

Quote:

Quote:

The 35 has a dual beam trans. but not as much power as the lx3. I thought I read that the 35 has an adjustable zoom and the 3 has zoom but not adjustable? Is this correct? Not really sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am looking to get for xmas.
    Thanks, Jeweler

The Humminbirds don’t have a true dual beam transducer. None of the models do.

When you say none of the models do, do you mean that even a vex and marcum don’t or no other model out there besides a vex and marcum has them? Just wondering. I could be overthinking this way to much but I thought I would ask.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

None of the humminbird flashers have a true dual crystal transducer. One thing I should point out is that Humminbird is in no way trying to deceive anyone about their ducers. They describe them as “dual frequency” and not as “dual beam.” People just assume they’re built and work exactly like the transducers offered by Vex or MarCum. While they offer similar functionality the capabilities of a transducer with dedicated crystals for each “beam” are far superior with regards to performance.

norge

Mostly I lurk, enjoying the camaraderie most often shown on this site. Often I learn some valuable thing along the way.
    Have been using my 787 in flasher mode for the little bit of Ice fishing I do. Now I would love to see Marcum and Vex side by side. Never would have thought of any difference without this post. Thanks!
    Lloyd

tjgeerdes
    Rice Lake, WI

Vexilar FL-20 hands down. I love mine and would never fish without it.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Quote:

Vexilar FL-20 hands down. I love mine and would never fish without it.

. X 2

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Just remember that any flasher is better than not having one at all!

Having said that, I think that with the great information that James has shared, the decision should be easy.

FDR

sandmannd

I agree that any flasher is going to improve your ice fishing experience and you really can’t go wrong with any of the Marcum’s, Vex’s or Hummingbirds.

That being said, I started with an FL8 a number of years ago I found use and loved it. I still have it as a spare for others to use. I moved up to a Marcum LX5 three years ago and haven’t looked back. It’s a great unit. I love the zoom and, as others have zooms, the Marcum’s have the adjustable zoom. There are so many other great features on the Marcum’s. Unless I just get stunned by something new that comes out in the future, I don’t think I’ll be changing brands.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Thanks guys for the great info. If anyone else has anything to offer please do. Thanks again and this has cleared up a lot of confusion/misunderstanding.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

One of the other things to consider is how often you fish “close” to others – i have a good friend that has the 35 and has problems with interference.. The New LX3 unit has a patented new and improved twelve level “Interference Rejection” feature that allows the user to knock out interference from other nearby sonar units.

I think there are two sides to this coin, on one hand having your flasher screen clear is wonderful, but on the other hand if your flasher causes everyone around you to have issues it is no fun. I have an fl-12 and really enjoy it. I 95% of the time I fish around guys who also fish vex’s or humminbirds and really don’t have much interference problems…recently on two seperate occasions i fished with guys who had marcums and they really gave me some bad interference. I don’t think they were bothered by my vex(tribute to marcum), but this certainly is something i am going to consider when i upgrade in a year or so…if i get a marcum either my buddies with vex’s are gonna avoid me like the plague or they are all going to have to get marcums (not likely).

On a side note, my fl-12 has gotten along with the bird 45’s just fine and they get along with vex’s too…not sure how they respond to marcum.

I think marcums have a great unit but this is certainly something to consider.

sandmannd

Quote:

Thanks guys for the great info. If anyone else has anything to offer please do. Thanks again and this has cleared up a lot of confusion/misunderstanding.

If you have the time to wait, try to get out fishing with folks that have different flashers. See what you like first hand. That’s the best way to make your choice.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Thanks for the help. Got an LX3 for xmas. So far so good. Thanks again guys, now if the fish would just cooperate then we would be in business.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.